russian armor

Rome 2 total war

4 Sep 2013, 20:19 PM

Creative Assembly just hired 2 more Community Managers to handle Rome 2

Relic lays off their only CM

hmmmmm....
4 Sep 2013, 20:36 PM

BORING

I can see why you think it's boring beacuse there are no British faction.
1 of 3 Relic postsRelic 4 Sep 2013, 20:41 PM

Creative Assembly just hired 2 more Community Managers to handle Rome 2

Relic lays off their only CM

hmmmmm....

Off Topic: Relic hired a CM to work in studio, like CA and most studios. THQ laid off all CMs and moved them to the publishing department away from the dev team because they viewed them as marketing staff and not as developers.

CoH did okay because Bobby was awesome. Some of the other games suffered because their fanbases no longer had a connection to the people making the game, just the people trying to sell it. Ask anyone who was a member of the THQ UFC community how that went down.

It would be nice to scale up like CA and it's something we're definitely looking at doing in the future. But the idea of having Community Mangers based outside of the studio was one of the many stupid things that THQ did. Their plan was the have a handful of CMs working on multiple games, which is why on Space Marine our Community Manager left before launch to focus on Darksiders II leaving us in the lurch.

Having Community Mangers embedded with the development team is the way to go because it gives you guys a direct line to the development team, rather than an indirect line through marketing.

On Topic: Rome II definitely is awesome. I'd totally recommend picking it up, and hey the more money that SEGA has the more money we get to play with on our future projects. The entire CA team seems fantastic and we're glad to have joined them at SEGA.

4 Sep 2013, 20:49 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 20:41 PMNoun

Off Topic: Relic hired a CM to work in studio, like CA and most studios. THQ laid off all CMs and moved them to the publishing department away from the dev team because they viewed them as marketing staff and not as developers.

CoH did okay because Bobby was awesome. Some of the other games suffered because their fanbases no longer had a connection to the people making the game, just the people trying to sell it. Ask anyone who was a member of the THQ UFC community how that went down.

It would be nice to scale up like CA and it's something we're definitely looking at doing in the future. But the idea of having Community Mangers based outside of the studio was one of the many stupid things that THQ did. Their plan was the have a handful of CMs working on multiple games, which is why on Space Marine our Community Manager left before launch to focus on Darksiders II leaving us in the lurch.

Having Community Mangers embedded with the development team is the way to go because it gives you guys a direct line to the development team, rather than an indirect line through marketing.

On Topic: Rome II definitely is awesome. I'd totally recommend picking it up, and hey the more money that SEGA has the more money we get to play with on our future projects. The entire CA team seems fantastic and we're glad to have joined them at SEGA.

+1,000,000 :)
4 Sep 2013, 21:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Sep 2013, 20:41 PMNoun

Whining about your former benefactors makes you look petty and weak. When will we hear whining about Sega? After Relic is sold by Sega.
4 Sep 2013, 22:13 PM
Donator 11

Whining about your former benefactors makes you look petty and weak. When will we hear whining about Sega? After Relic is sold by Sega.

If THQ still existed, maybe, but they don't so it's not like he his hurting anyone.
2 of 3 Relic postsRelic 4 Sep 2013, 22:37 PM

I was pretty open about it at the time they did it. I quit rather than move to California in part because I believe that the role works much better at a studio.

Which I think goes to your point about the great job the Creative Assembly team does while working in studio.

Which again isn't to say anything bad about Lynx (Bobby). He is great and if there was a way we could get him back that would be great. Us being in Canada makes it trickier, but it would be wonderful to have him back working on the franchise.
5 Sep 2013, 14:23 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Please. Do you have any idea of what happened to Thunder, the other Relic CM with Noun? And what THQ did to him? Noun is absolutely right on what he said and THQ managed that situation in a very bad way if you knew the "behind the scene", we were lucky to get Bobby who saved COH and COH2 from a total marketing failure.
5 Sep 2013, 18:48 PM

Don't listen to Noun, Rome II is a colossal piece of shit.

I surpass the recommended requirements quite significantly and cannot run this game above 10 frames per second on minimum settings. Memory leaks and optimization bugs all over the fucking place.

Furthermore, entirely lack luster gameplay - a typically horrible AI that is both afraid to be aggressive and totally unable to react to your decisions even on the hardest difficulties, both on the world map and the actual battles themselves.

Bugs all over the place, from minor ones that are just eyesores to things that make the game entirely unplayable.

This game has got to be the most poor release for a "AAA" title I've seen in my entire life, and I've been gaming for nearly 2 decades.

Don't buy it. It's bad. CA should feel bad. People who pre ordered this should feel bad because now they're stuck with a huge pile of shit.

This is the most poorly optimized, horribly designed, bugged up the ass release of the decade.

I am calling it 7 years early. That's how fucking bad it is.

Even on maximum graphics settings, the game looks like shit.

Just do not buy it. Wait for it to be 60% off some time in the future(Because it will be, that's how shit this game is), and buy it then.

For me, I will definitely be pursuing a refund through Steam on the basis that this game is falsely advertised.

5 Sep 2013, 19:23 PM
Donator 11

Don't listen to Noun, Rome II is a colossal piece of shit.

I surpass the recommended requirements quite significantly and cannot run this game above 10 frames per second on minimum settings. Memory leaks and optimization bugs all over the fucking place.

Furthermore, entirely lack luster gameplay - a typically horrible AI that is both afraid to be aggressive and totally unable to react to your decisions even on the hardest difficulties, both on the world map and the actual battles themselves.

Bugs all over the place, from minor ones that are just eyesores to things that make the game entirely unplayable.

This game has got to be the most poor release for a "AAA" title I've seen in my entire life, and I've been gaming for nearly 2 decades.

Don't buy it. It's bad. CA should feel bad. People who pre ordered this should feel bad because now they're stuck with a huge pile of shit.

This is the most poorly optimized, horribly designed, bugged up the ass release of the decade.

I am calling it 7 years early. That's how fucking bad it is.

Even on maximum graphics settings, the game looks like shit.

Just do not buy it. Wait for it to be 60% off some time in the future(Because it will be, that's how shit this game is), and buy it then.

For me, I will definitely be pursuing a refund through Steam on the basis that this game is falsely advertised.

It's called 1st day launch and patches dude, nothing new for a PC title.
5 Sep 2013, 20:10 PM

Actually, no. There are plenty of good releases put out that are dozens of times better than this piece of shit. CoH2, as buggy and poorly optimized as it is, trumps Rome II in such a laughable manner it's ridiculous.

Patches don't address the fundamental design fuck ups that is Rome II. Unless they plan on entirely reworking the game(As well as fixing the host of other shit that's wrong), which is frankly not what I paid for.

I would label this Closed Beta at best.
5 Sep 2013, 20:19 PM
Donator 11

Actually, no. There are plenty of good releases put out that are dozens of times better than this piece of shit. CoH2, as buggy and poorly optimized as it is, trumps Rome II in such a laughable manner it's ridiculous.

Patches don't address the fundamental design fuck ups that is Rome II. Unless they plan on entirely reworking the game(As well as fixing the host of other shit that's wrong), which is frankly not what I paid for.

I would label this Closed Beta at best.

Actually, Yes. I've seen so many games with so many problems at day 1.
5 Sep 2013, 21:00 PM

You have extremely shit standards.
5 Sep 2013, 21:45 PM

I've been a huge fan of TW franchise since the very first shogun. Shogun 2 was the first one I prepurchased and damn that launch was horrible. Terrible UI design, bugs and crashes all over the place. Figured I'd never prepurchase CA game again and I'm glad I didn't. I thought that it couldn't get any worse but after seeing videos and lurking forums I realized I was wrong.

Some problems I've noticed:
- Horrible performance on some setups
- Some units are game breakingly bugged (or even worse, designed in this way)
- AI is either retarded or just bugged even on hardest difficulty
- Simultaneous turns on coop is not possible
- Ladders are bugged
- Team matchmaking is bugged
- Crashes after battles
- Save games getting corrupted

etc.

Perhaps I grab it from sale 6 months from now.

LOL those screenshots are fucking epic :D:D:D
6 Sep 2013, 02:51 AM

So far, I love it. There are some minor bugs, but I have not found anything real big. I have an i7(Don't remember which one but i think it was 2nd gen) and gtx 670, game runs maxed out at 30-40 fps, occasional dip to 20's during intense action. Looks beautiful.

It is one of those games that you know you are going to keep playing until you get completely sick of it since its a ton of fun and there is so much to do. Reminds me of Skyrim in that regard.(So much replayability)
6 Sep 2013, 03:15 AM
Donator 11

You have extremely shit standards.

I'm simply saying you can't judge on day 1, if in 2-3 months its still as bad as it is, then it's another story.

To be honest, I don't even have the total war games except for shogun but never played it, got it for 5$, but my point is the same, wait 2-3 months and then judge it.

Funny that Shogun and Rome 2 has some pretty good metascores and please, don't talk to me about the user scores.
6 Sep 2013, 12:36 PM

Other than the obvious performance issues and bugs, I've found the gameplay to be kind of meh.

- Because most factions start pretty small, the campaign feels a lot easier than in RTW1, especially on the higher difficulties. You often have no real powerful enemies and sometimes have a few client states of your own at the start of the game. Of the larger spawning factions (Rome, Egypt, Seleucids and arguably Sardes and Carthage, there are probably a few more) only Rome seems to ever get stronger over the course of the campaign.

- Campaign AI on hard never seems to build anything other than light infantry and skirmishers. I can get praetorian cohorts only a few dozen years in and all they'll be fighting is crappy infantry and slingers.

- Almost no pitched battles. From one of my Macedon campaigns, after taking over 20 settlements I still have played but a single open field battle. The rest is sieges.

- Capture points in the middle of a pitched battle.

- Combat becoming a giant clusterfuck with all semblance of unit cohesion/formation broken within like 5 seconds. Sure, it might be realistic, but from a gameplay standpoint it's pretty boring.

- Higher tier infantry absolute slaughtering lower tier infantry. I regularly play battles where I lose less than a 100 men and kill over 1500 simply by a-moving my heavy infantry into their militia hoplites and such. This gets even worse since it's quite easy to get infantry to vet6+. Related to point nr.2.

- A turn takes a year. Recently got a new general? Well he'll be dead in a few turns. Have fun. I really don't see why they couldn't have done 1/2 a year/turn or even a quarter.

edit: I haven't played every single faction yet, so some of these might just be unfortunate coincidences.
6 Sep 2013, 15:05 PM

The AI is entirely non-aggressive. Times between turns can take up to 3 minutes and in between that you're autoresolving battles because 9/10 it's your army against like 3 units and your opponent is too shit to actually stack an army together.

Every single faction plays identically with almost zero variation. The AI is completely incapable of responding to your unit composition or tactics.

Pretty much every battle in the game is a siege, and in between units refusing the cross bridges for virtually no reason at all and the host of other bugs in the game, I can only naturally make the connection that people who actively enjoy this game and think it's good also enjoy being sodomized without lube.

After playing every single TW game since Rome I, this has to be by far the worst release of the series.

I give this game a 1/10. 1 simply because it's so bad I can take enjoyment out of what a colossal piece of shit it is.
6 Sep 2013, 15:25 PM
Donator 11

-BF3 was a piece of shit at launch.

-Guild Wars 2 was a piece of shit at launch.

-Simcity was and maybe still is a piece of shit but is a lot better then it was at launch.

-COH2 still needs a lot of work.

-CS:GO is 10x the game it was at launch.

-Witcher 2 fixed a lot of performance issue since it was launch.

-Diabloe 3's launch was just awful and everybody talks about how Blizzard's server is most awesome thing in the world and they are now fixing the public auction so loot is more rewarding for the next expansion.

-Half Life2 had major server issues.

etc. etc. etc....

Am I happy about this ? no, but developers simply cannot test their games and every single system and every different scenarios in a game, it's called life.
6 Sep 2013, 19:10 PM

Idk what BF3 you were playing, the launch problems it had were minor.

SimCity is, of course, a giant piece of shit. Just like Rome II.

CS:GO had it's issues but it was a fully functioning game that sold what was promised. It's improved now but it was complete at launch.

Never played Witcher

D3 is just a disgusting piece of shit as well.

I didn't play HL2 from launch.

Am I happy about this ? no, but developers simply cannot test their games and every single system and every different scenarios in a game, it's called life.

This is not "life". This is a really shitty development process encouraged by you.

I am not arguing that every single thing should be tested, I am arguing they test their game FULL STOP. If it is not fit for release, I argue DO NOT RELEASE.

There was a time where when games were released, we as consumers could expect them to work. We couldn't guarantee they'd be good, but we could guarantee we'd get a fully functional product to a certain standard of quality. This worked because if someone released a game that wasn't up to standard, nobody fucking bought it and nobody said "Oh well, we'll just have to deal with it!".

Developers today have more professionals, larger teams, and more tools to work with than they ever had before, yet the quality of the products being released are progressively worse as time goes on. This is not "life", this is called a shitty work ethic and a poor production ethos, and it is being fully endorsed by people who buy these games and make excuses for developers as if they're some sort of infallible entity.

While I'm generally a patient person as far as development teams go, my patience is non existent if the product is, firstly, not as advertised, and secondly, not even a consistently working game.

This is false advertisement, blatant false advertisement. Rome II is not a complete game, yet it is being sold as one. Rome II is selling a certain set of system requirements, yet it is entirely incorrect and misinformative.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★