Login

russian armor

Jatkosota mod need help

12 Sep 2015, 14:25 PM

Hi!

I am a newbie modder with an idea that I haven't seen in the works on places about modding for company of heroes 2 (Although it might just be that I've missed these kinds of things happening before). A while back when the modding tools were released I started testing and reading about the tools. I wanted to make new minor axis factions out of the existing ostheer (whermacht) faction and transfer the remaining german leftover units to the OKW faction and turning it from "Oberkommando West" to "Oberkommando der Wehrmacht". After that i figured why stop there and why not add the possibility for some sort of lend lease building or command tree for the soviets consisting of sherman (75mm), wolverines (in low numbers) and other lend lease vehicles. And with the new brittish units one can even add churchills and valentines to the mix (albeit with different stats to reflect them being of the churchill III and valentine mk IX variants). Anyway, being swedish and being part finnish made it obvious that getting Finland into the game as a faction was a must and probably the easiest of the three main axis minors on the eastern front due to the equipment (vehicles and guns) mostly already excisting in the game (with the exceptions of the finnish own weapons like the soumi and lahti small arms and the lahti AT rifle as well as the quite well known BT-42 assault gun).

I have been planning for this for some time now as I really would like to see this idea in the game. There is just one problem. I am having a hard time to fix problems that mess upp the mod. As I just recently got back into tinkering with the mod after about 4 months of writing notes about the units, trashing old notes and improving on them. Now I have lost quite a bit of the patience and knowlege of debugging (I hope this is the correct phrase) the mod to keep up with updates and to make units that do not mess it up. And I wonder if there is anyone that would be willing to help me out with the mod or maybe just reteach me how to do this properly. Just pointing me to tutorials that use the current version of the mod tools would be nice too. I also must inform that my knowlege of the modding terminology is very limited.

I hope I didn't waste your time and would love to hear ideas and constructive criticism.

Greetings from Sweden! And have a pleasant day.

P.S sorry for any bad english.

Edit: If this is a bad place to post this in I would like to be pointed to a better place for this.
13 Sep 2015, 13:01 PM

Just write what exactly problem you have, and if it's possible to fix then someone will help you eventually. I must warn you however that adding new things (like Suomi SMG or BT tanks) is not possible at the moment.
13 Sep 2015, 13:41 PM

Well my first two problems are really more of an annoyance but one of them is pretty important.

First of I can't get the mod image to work and every time i try to add it it just prevents the mod from being built (I'm using the exact same image that worked for me at the time of the mod tools release).
Second is how every time i change the name of a unit some wierd text (i have heard it being refered to as a "key" of some sort) is in place of the unit name and whatever else I changed.
My other problems seem to be based on copying and renaming units (maybe but not sure) I am trying to do one change at a time and then start a match to se if everything works. I guess I'll post here if anything happens.

Edit: I just remembered that I tend to have problems with changing the abp for units making volks capable of using SVT-40, Mosin nagant and Ppsh (also trying to make them use Boys AT rifles). The problem is simply that Either the game resets all changes made and removes the option to train the builder unit or it just refuses to start the game. I have watched eliw00d's tutorial but I seem to be doing something wrong. Most likely it is the adding of the weapons to the list and not any other part of the process as I it would be hard to make mistakes there since I followed him to the letter. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact I am adding weapons from a different faction.
13 Sep 2015, 14:07 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Is your preview image a .tga, of dimensions 280x280, and bit-depth 24?

Are you changing the text directly in the Attribute Editor, or directly in the .ucs file?

If you are cloning to a new name AND location, you can rename to your heart's content. If you are cloning to the same name AND location, then you cannot rename afterwards.

Could you show the .abp file? Are you getting missing .rgm error boxes?

Also, great mod idea! :)

Fortress Europe has long planned to add the Finns (and Hungarians, Romanians, etc), but we are waiting until we can add visual and audial content (as well as new Factions).
13 Sep 2015, 15:09 PM

The preview image is is a .tga of 280x280 (not sure about bit-depth).
Name changes are in the Attribute Editor.
At the moment the old .abp files are gone but i will try to replicate them.

At this very moment I'm quite tired however but I will get back to the mod as soon as the frustration of having to redo the same thing has passed. Hopefully I'll get used to it some day but right now i need to rest.

Edit: About missing .rgm error boxes, I used to get them the last time the match started properly and all units were available. However at the moment the problem simply seems to be to get the game to start with all the changes intact (and not have the game crash in the loading screen). The problem that I continuously encounter at the moment when applying theese changes is that all my changes are undone and my builder unit is not trainable.
13 Sep 2015, 18:47 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Could you upload your entire mod folder to Dropbox (preferably in a ZIP) and send me a link in a PM to download it?

That way I can see what issues you are running into.
13 Sep 2015, 19:07 PM

Sure. I just have to recreate my progress (shouldn't take too long). Working on it right now.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★