Login

russian armor

Some thoughts about cover-glue and map design

11 Sep 2015, 18:01 PM

Way back, it used to be a real nuisance to have infantry take cover. Sometimes you could click from morning to night came, and your infantry standing next to a wall or a bush would still be out of cover.

Somewhere along the line - can't remember if that was with COH2 or a later patch to it - this was changed so that infantry would sort of snap to cover in the proximity.

This undoubtedly increased the playability of the game by removing a tedious, irrelevant micro task.

However, I find that in a number of situations, this mechanism is counter productive.

Thep roblem is, that on some maps, a number of capturepoints have cover close to them, but just a tiny bit outside of the capturing circle.

It means that a unit ordered to capture at the fringe of a circle (which as I suppose everyone knows, there's a point in), it will sometimes be sucked out to the nearby cover and be barely out of the capture circle.

As a result, sometimes I find my units losing time idling when thought I had told them to go capture. This is mildly irritating.

I don't know if the actual problem is the infantrys' propensity to snap to cover. Or if it is a map-design problem. I assume that it could - in principle - be solved easily by just observing a certain minimum distance when cover is placed outside a capture circle. However, I also realise that such a change would require a lot of maps to be edited.

So in fact maybe a change in the game parameters would be a more feasible solution. My guess is it would only require a very small change.
12 Sep 2015, 12:54 PM

Yea it's irritating, sometimes units run out of capping circle and run to the cover.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★