Login

russian armor

Creeping Barrage too tight?

6 Aug 2015, 00:23 AM

I wished to share my thoughts on this. This ability feels like it could use a wider spread than it currently has, especially for the Priest. It covers far too small an area to be a good tactical decision. I'm by no means suggesting this do more damage or anything. I was thinking of the other benefits it can provide.

I would like to see this as a means of creating a longer line of craters for Light Cover and benefit an Infantry push following from behind. Just like the tactic was originally designed for.

What do you guys think? Is the Creeping Barrage performing in a way that's worth the Munitions?
6 Aug 2015, 01:31 AM

I'm just not sure why it costs anything for the priest. It's not like it's any better then it's normal barrage.
6 Aug 2015, 01:57 AM

I'm just not sure why it costs anything for the priest. It's not like it's any better then it's normal barrage.

I agree.

I'm also not sure why the Priest costs so much to begin with. But that's the name of the game for USF I guess, big price tags for medicore performance.
6 Aug 2015, 02:02 AM

Just look at the F35 development cost, so it applies even today! :P

Haha. I think the Priest itself is... Average. But it's forgivable for me since it's mobile. The Creeping Barrage however... Not worth the cost at all.
6 Aug 2015, 02:09 AM

Relic needs to make the creeping barrage for priest be several shells on the creeping barrage line. Lets say 3-4 on each of the 3 targets like in CoH1. In CoH1 a Creeping Barrage was 150 munitions and was a wonderful ability for the brits artillery! :D
6 Aug 2015, 02:11 AM

Just look at the F35 development cost, so it applies even today! :P

Haha. I think the Priest itself is... Average. But it's forgivable for me since it's mobile. The Creeping Barrage however... Not worth the cost at all.

Lol right though.

480 manpower is a high price tag however, same with the Creeping Barrage. 50 muni is just not feasable imo. And I don't think it's justified because of its "mobility". I mean look at the walking stuka, 390 manpower and it's leaps and bounds better.

Let's not forget, stuka is non doctrinal. <444>_<444>
6 Aug 2015, 02:18 AM

Relic needs to make the creeping barrage for priest be several shells on the creeping barrage line. Lets say 3-4 on each of the 3 targets like in CoH1. In CoH1 a Creeping Barrage was 150 munitions and was a wonderful ability for the brits artillery! :D

It was wonderful, but too wonderful. <444>_<444>

Ultra precision strike, and super high damage. Brits never have muni problem because of their stupid truck so you can spam it all day long.

And no, I don't want that Creeping Barrage return.
6 Aug 2015, 02:44 AM

It was wonderful, but too wonderful. <444>_<444>

Ultra precision strike, and super high damage. Brits never have muni problem because of their stupid truck so you can spam it all day long.

And no, I don't want that Creeping Barrage return.

But what if there was a long delay (Like say, a 10 Second delay) and a signal smoke? It would create the light cover more quickly and widespread and give a lot of time to avoid it.

It could make it kinda like the Walking Stuka but cost munitions to fire.
6 Aug 2015, 02:47 AM

Ultra precision strike, and super high damage. Ostheer never has muni problem because of their muni conversion so you can spam it all day long.

Oh look, CAS says hi :welcome:
6 Aug 2015, 02:52 AM

But what if there was a long delay (Like say, a 10 Second delay) and a signal smoke? It would create the light cover more quickly and widespread and give a lot of time to avoid it.

It could make it kinda like the Walking Stuka but cost munitions to fire.

Then what's the point of it? :huh:

Oh look, CAS says hi :welcome:

Stop being stupid, CAS muni transfer required to pay fuel.
6 Aug 2015, 02:56 AM

It scares the enemy out of the area and creates cover for you to advance? If that's too long, it could also be 5 Seconds. Just enough for it not to be overpowered. :)
6 Aug 2015, 02:57 AM

Then what's the point of it? :huh:

Stop being stupid, CAS muni transfer required to pay fuel.

Oh, Porygon. Of course I'm stupid for making a mark about an Ostheer ability.

Remind me again why I post with die hard wehraboos floating around? :D Carry on for the Third reich!
6 Aug 2015, 03:07 AM

Here's an article about the Creeping Barrage.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/creepingbarrage.htm

Although considered as a battlefield tactic as early as 1915 (and initially deployed by Bulgarian artillerists during the Adrianople siege of March 1913) the so-called 'creeping barrage' was not actually deployed until August 1916 by the British (Sir Henry Horne) during the Battle of the Somme on the Western Front.

Until this point artillery barrages preceded infantry attacks for periods ranging from hours to days. Once the infantry attack began in earnest supporting artillery would typically be promptly switched against pre-determined secondary targets.

A creeping barrage however was designed so as to place a curtain of artillery fire just ahead of advancing infantry, a barrage which would constantly shift - or creep - forward directly ahead of attacking troops. The innovation was successful, although chiefly against sharply defined and localised targets. Subsequently the combined use of artillery, infantry, tanks and aircraft would greatly assist the efficacy of larger-scale breakthrough attacks.

Such a method of artillery fire necessarily required very careful planning by both artillery and infantry commanders, particularly with regard to timing if an army's own troops were not to be caught (or held back) by their own artillery barrage. As a rough rule of thumb a creeping barrage would progress at the rate of approximately 50 metres per minute once an attack began.

It's meant as a tactic to create cover for your forces. Plus the planning can be represented by the long delay too. That's the beauty of the Creeping Barrage. Creating cover as your forces move in for the attack. ;)
6 Aug 2015, 15:06 PM

Lol right though.

480 manpower is a high price tag however, same with the Creeping Barrage. 50 muni is just not feasable imo. And I don't think it's justified because of its "mobility". I mean look at the walking stuka, 390 manpower and it's leaps and bounds better.

Let's not forget, stuka is non doctrinal. <444>_<444>

Walking Stuka has 2 min cooldown, its shots don't do as much damage as the Priest's, it doesn't have the range of the Priest, and it dies in two hits...
Priest Creeping Barrage could use a muni decrease in cost and the bug where it stops firing when it targets should be fixed then it would be fine.
6 Aug 2015, 18:53 PM

Walking Stuka has 2 min cooldown, its shots don't do as much damage as the Priest's, it doesn't have the range of the Priest, and it dies in two hits...
Priest Creeping Barrage could use a muni decrease in cost and the bug where it stops firing when it targets should be fixed then it would be fine.

I don't know what the Priest's cool down is off the top of my head but it's not too far off from two minutes. The Priest dies in two hits as well, and it's in only one doctrine that doesn't help with armor or any late game necesity that USF needs in certain situations.

I don't think the price is fine. 400MP and 100 FU would be reasonable.
6 Aug 2015, 19:23 PM

I don't know what the Priest's cool down is off the top of my head but it's not too far off from two minutes. The Priest dies in two hits as well, and it's in only one doctrine that doesn't help with armor or any late game necesity that USF needs in certain situations.

The priests cool down is 85 seconds like all the other howitzers in the game. It's price is fine and you don't even need to pay the popcap for it since the cooldown recharges while it's decrewed.
6 Aug 2015, 19:31 PM

The main problem for the Creeping Barrage is that each Priest dose it own. This means that only 4 shot go in to the Barrage. I think i would be better to have the Priest at Vet 1 gain the ability to be apart of a Creeping Barrage. Then have any of the three officer in the USF army beable (all officer will share a Cool-down) call in the ability (like the Arty officer for Ost) to call it in. Make it cost like 50-70 ammo.
10 Aug 2015, 16:41 PM

I would happily trade LeFH for Priest any day. I'd even throw in the CAS commander (Afterall USF did have air superiority).

OT: How about it has a longer flight time to hit but creates a massive line of craters (and blows up anything in the way too :D )

And there's a small warning flare.
12 Aug 2015, 01:55 AM

yes Priest do cost more than Stuka, but keep in mind if two unit barrage each other Priest with some RNG that priest hit stuka twice in a barrage, stuka will be dead, on other hand, priest never die from a barrage of stuka (not from my experience, 1 time i double stuka barrage on 1 priest, it still lives)

so priest have shorter CD, more damage, better survival compare to stuka, and can crew repair only thing it is doesn't have is it doesn't land all its shots at same time as stuka does and not as accurate. for the comparestion i think priest price right now is fine.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★