Login

russian armor

What Are You Reading ?

4 Aug 2015, 17:44 PM

Share your reading material here

Right now i have on my android the following books and documents ( its easier for me to put just the covers ) :

daily i go through all the book list and try to read a bit of them all , but i usually choose to read more one than the other , for example : 1 book i read 15 min and perhaps another i read 1 hr straight , depends on the subject , mainly .
4 Aug 2015, 17:56 PM

Still learning.

4 Aug 2015, 18:37 PM

i also research maps and study them .
4 Aug 2015, 19:38 PM

The last is interesting because it's primarily a platform for imagining what war in space might be like. Frex, the closing velocities of two fleets in the books is about 60,000 kilometers per second. To date, popular depictions of space warfare have used either a naval model or a carrier/fighter aerial one, but either make any real sense. This is one of the relatively few attempts to game out some of the possible implications.
4 Aug 2015, 19:59 PM

The last is interesting because it's primarily a platform for imagining what war in space might be like. Frex, the closing velocities of two fleets in the books is about 60,000 kilometers per second. To date, popular depictions of space warfare have used either a naval model or a carrier/fighter aerial one, but either make any real sense. This is one of the relatively few attempts to game out some of the possible implications.
do you some other science fiction stories related to warfare? Besides this last one ? This last one seems worth geeving a try .
4 Aug 2015, 20:25 PM

As I say, not many of them.

Alistair Reynolds has a trilogy called Revelation Space, in roughly the middle of which one ship pursues another at near the speed of light; there are some interesting ideas about how they try to do each other in, but its not the main issue in the series, and the setting has some pretty wild super-tech. But the series is very very good in its own right, so worth a read.

C.J. Cherryh has some novels that deal at least in part with high relativistic interactions, Downbelow Station is standalone, otherwise the Pride of Chanur series.

Joe Haldeman's excellent The Forever War deals with the impact of time dilation. It was written as a sort of counter-point to Starship Troopers (and if you have not read Starship Troopers, as opposed to seeing the movie, you should).

More general military sci fi, not dealing with space as such, would include things like David Drake's Hammer's Slammers and sequels.

David Gerrold has a very interesting series in The War Against the Chtorr books, and also wrote The Voyage Of The Star Wolf, which is themed on space war, but not in the relativistic sense.

I also have a couple of military themed things which I enjoyed tremendously and which you can read online right now:

Morrigan in the Sunglare

Ghostweight
4 Aug 2015, 20:35 PM

Oh yes: an excellent resource for all things related to theoretical space war is Atomic Rockets.

ETA: Atomic Rockets also has an extract from The Killing Star by Charles Pellegrino and George Zebrowski, which I have not read as such, but the extract alone is a rather chilling discussion of a particular, grand scale form of space war, and stands as something of a warning against attracting too much attention to ourselves. Found on this page: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/aliens.php
4 Aug 2015, 20:38 PM

Oh yes: an excellent resource for all things related to theoretical space war is Atomic Rockets.
what about the doom novels ? You ever read any of those ?
4 Aug 2015, 20:44 PM

No; didn't even know there were any.
4 Aug 2015, 21:05 PM

No; didn't even know there were any.
y , i think its a trilogy .
4 Aug 2015, 21:17 PM

Best Star Wars book I have read so far. Tells the story of how Palpatine met his Sith master, started planning the downfall of the Galactic Senate, the Republic and the Jedi Order. Actually tells the entire story surrounding the 'Sith Legend' that Sidious uses to seduce Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, about Plaqueis being able to cheat death. Answers a lot of questions the Episode I just doesn't answer.

It is superbly written and thought through. Starts a bit slow, but after chapter I it captures you and never lets you go until the last word.

Highly recommend it!
8 Aug 2015, 00:06 AM

Plus a couple about Swedish politics which I don't think would interest anyone here. :)
8 Aug 2015, 00:47 AM

^^
Your second book is called "Tomb of the Panzerwaffe" in English.
8 Aug 2015, 07:45 AM

^^
Your second book is called "Tomb of the Panzerwaffe" in English.

Damn didn't even know it existed in english <444>_<444> I just got the Russian version linked to myself while doing some other reading. Thats what I get for spending my salary clicking links on Google Books. :)
8 Aug 2015, 10:09 AM
8 Aug 2015, 13:52 PM

*Sigh* I clicked some more and am now the owner of:

"Troops of the NKVD in the front and at the rear"

It was 3 bucks can you blame me? I suggest everyone learns russian, if not for the sources then for the fact that books and e-books in russian have a fraction of the cost.
8 Aug 2015, 15:05 PM

Damn didn't even know it existed in english <444>_<444> I just got the Russian version linked to myself while doing some other reading. Thats what I get for spending my salary clicking links on Google Books. :)

You are better with english?

I will probably be reading this book in Sept. If you finish before me, I'd like to hear about what you think of it.

Russian translated books are expensive retail- tomb of the Pzwaffe is $70 USD although online one can easily get it for $35.
8 Aug 2015, 15:10 PM

For the fantasy lovers out there the series "The First Law" is full of battles, scrapes, and deep characters alongside subtler intrigue and plots. Well worth a read, the hard bit is getting beyond the first half of the first book as a lot is crammed in you won't understand until you get further on.

Also for people with an interest in 40k:
8 Aug 2015, 16:02 PM

You are better with english?

I will probably be reading this book in Sept. If you finish before me, I'd like to hear about what you think of it.

Russian translated books are expensive retail- tomb of the Pzwaffe is $70 USD although online one can easily get it for $35.

Well Yes I am a native Swede who started reading english in grade 3 and Russian in grade 10. So english is alot easier for me.

True russian books are more expensive retail, however E-books are cheaper. E-books in general have that thing where you save on shipping time and cost, but it isn't as good to settle down with an e-book as it is with a regular book.

and reading a language you are not 100% familiar with it helps to have friends like
Carloff
to help you with translations.
8 Aug 2015, 16:11 PM

A lot of e-books don't have to be bought- they are downloaded.

sadly, tomb of the PzWaffe has no e-book english option so far.

Most of the really detailed books have no e-book option either.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★