Login

russian armor

T0 Mortar-Doctrine Tacitc

12 Jun 2013, 05:32 AM

At the weekend i came up with a 1v1 strategy that, in it's core, does not use any kind of Tier building.

I came to the idea after looking at the Mortar-Doctirne and seeing that this doctrine get's 3 call-in abilities, mark target (important) and vehicle self-repair (not that important).

Basically how it works, i use my basic opening.

3x Cons -> Molotov -> Cons (get CE-flamer when seems right)
Now it get's situational. If you see a lot of Grens, you might want to go for another CE-Squad with flamer, else just float MP resources till commander lvl 1, while doing all the Upgrades in you T0 building.
when i hit command level 1 i try to have 720MP to get out the 120mm mortar and a guard instant.
Depending on how the enemy played you probably were on the back-foot till this point, now you go and start attack points with 120mm mortar support.
get out another Guardrifle as soon as cooldown is over and you have 360MP.
(Upgrade both for button)
Now the 4th call in is dependand on what you see.
a) a lot of enemy infantry
- get another mortar
b) vehicles
- another guard rifle.
After that only reinforce for some time (try not to lose squads).
As soon as you hit lvl 4 you should have enough Fuel to pump out up to 2-4 T34-85s (after Cooldowns and MP ofc), which will deal with almost everything when combined with marking vehicle, at nades and guards with buttoning.

Adaptation:
If, at some point, you notice the german not using any of his fuel, built t2 and get out 1-2 AT guns just to be sure against panther/brummbar rush.

My results so far:

On Pripyat it works extremly well, if you rush center VP and stop German from placing down the wire. If the wire is down, you need to go away from this strat immediately, because relying on infantry early is bad when you only have the option to go through water.

Kholodny is quite hard to tell, as i feel this map is faster paced.
Seeing as i just never used mortars that early i might also just suck with them and still need some training to use them right but still i got about 75% win with that strat.

While i don't know if my enemies just played bad, or the strat really works that well, i just wanted to let you know about this so you can test it out, too.
Pls, give me some feedback, as to how you did with it, or even how you would counter it (so i can improve on it)

12 Jun 2013, 10:59 AM

Unfortunately you have no reliable way to counter the flame halftrack. Maybe a combination of mines, AT nades and button from guards can kill it but a well microed halftrack will chew you up. Still an interesting strat though.
12 Jun 2013, 11:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jun 2013, 10:59 AMS73v0
Unfortunately you have no reliable way to counter the flame halftrack. Maybe a combination of mines, AT nades and button from guards can kill it but a well microed halftrack will chew you up. Still an interesting strat though.

Yes, i thought about that too.
And in the beginning i had issues handling the flame HT.
But,
Since last patch the at nades do some serious damage to HT and with the first guard squad being out in time for FHT i suddenly don't have any issue with it. Which is strange cause i can't find any patch notes about these changes but they definitely are there and noticeable.
But, maybe i did not play against someone who knows how to handle them well.
It's definitely one of the most difficult things to deal with in this strategy.
12 Jun 2013, 16:10 PM

Gaurds die pretty bad to the HT EXCEPT that as far as I can tell the AT rifle they have actually out ranges the half track so you can keep it at bay if you have a cons/gaurds together.

I use this strategy sometimes in larger team games, in 1v1 I feel like there will be too many times where you sit at 3 CP and waste your window of opportunity to do serious damage that the T34 provides.
TED
12 Jun 2013, 18:48 PM

Yea I have seen a few people pull this out. Not exactly as you have portrayed it but similar progressions. The 120mm mortar is very strong if your opponent is unaware and just sits and caps points. It does wonders in grouped fights as well. However, it doesn't have the best mobility and in my experience the best way around this strat as Germans is to build fuel points on close CPs and wait it out.

Especially on Pripyat where the center VP is heavily contested you just spread the map and contest the top VP and bottom. Until you force your opponent to move their troops and play to your game. Then you just keep on transitioning and eventually if you micro it well enough you'll be able to get out T3 or T4.
12 Jun 2013, 20:50 PM

I encountered it vs puco here: http://www.coh2.org/replays/3822/short-but-intense-game-vs-puco

Those T34-85s can hit the field so quickly. I only had 1 panzer 4 to deal with them but that's mostly because pak40 sucks so much. Got lucky with a teller catching the other T34.
13 Jun 2013, 05:59 AM

Watched the replay.
It's the strat at it's core at least.
The reason i would not build T1 in my strat is because you get nothing of real use from it and you waste MP on something you don't need.
He wasted 300MP and some fuel (fuel doesnt mater in my strat, you will float fuel almost all the time) for a clown car just to put guards in and it getting destroyed almost instantly. he should have gotten another inf squad instead but still nice game.

For some reason he charged his 2 T34-85 in FOW without support, would love to see what would have happened if he cared more for them.
But what we could see is that guards actually deal with FHT quite well.

13 Jun 2013, 06:08 AM

Well without the m3 guards by itself are a soft counter to the halftrack. I mismicroed my halftrack which was why I lost it.

Those T34-85s could have been used better but even when they weren't use correctly they did alot of damage. They took out my pak and my panzer 4 and drove my entire army off the field. I was very lucky with the last shot of the panzer 4 taking out 1 T34-85 and the other one hitting a teller mine while driving off. If either of those things didn't happen I could have been in alot of trouble.
13 Jun 2013, 07:38 AM

Yes, it also was some mismicro of your part, but, what i draw out of it is, if he would have skipped T1 for another guard squad it would have been 2 guards vs 1 FHT, which they just rip apart.

Yeah, he did quite well as soon as he saw you with his tanks, but it was a bad idea to just rush in.
But, what this shows me, is that it is definitely a viable strategy, because you have an answer for everything the german throws at you.

The T34-85 are really beasts and what is the fun part is that as soon as you hit lvl4 they come instant via call-in as a pair of two. Which totally dominates that early.
The T34-85 is also a beast anti-infantry, because it does twice the damage at the same radius than the basic T34.
The fire rate is quite low though, so the overall dps is only 2 higher, but it has some better piercing against tanks.
Which shows that you have to micro them more against infantry than basic t34s.
21 Jun 2013, 22:45 PM
Patrion 27

I read this a while back and just started picking Guard Motor every game last night. I got about a six win streak immediately. My build has been different though depending on the map.

Combat Engineer
T1 or T2 with the fresh engy while the first one caps.
scout car or sniper for T1 for capping and anti-Mg42 tech. Sniper is very nice if you keep him/her alive long enough to be a spotter for your 120's.

Go tier three or four as soon as you can for a fast T70 or Su76 to kill inevitable snipers that the opponent will build as anti-mortar units. Then I will back tech to tier two if I went for tier one to be able to get zis field guns for the inevitable Stug or Panzer he will build to stop your T70 or Su-76.

All in all I find this doctrine to be very reactive and extremely flexible. Some games (especially if I control the fuel) I will get greedy and make three 120mm mortars and one or two T70's to patrol and let me tell you, three of them cross-firing on a capping point is insane.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★