Login

russian armor

What to do against US?

5 Mar 2015, 22:12 PM

Hi, I have lost every game against the USF so far. The attached replay is an especially shameful display, I throw in the towel about 10 minutes in. I know my unit preservation is shit, but it's always the same with USF. I just don't know how to deal with the blobs.

What were some of my most glaring mistakes this match? I'd appreciate any input because USF is so annoying to play for me.

8 Mar 2015, 13:13 PM

I will watch replay later, but I can tell you one think.
Playing OST vs USF is about keeping fuel and 1 VP till mid game.
It's about patience, and slow come back into with mid game into late game.

If you lose whole map around 10min, dont quit. You can easily retake it.

Just watch Jesulin. He can win games as OST even when pushed back to the base.

Keep your units close to each other and bless Stug E :D

I find mortar as amazing unit vs Rifle blobs.
9 Mar 2015, 13:51 PM

Australian Magic is right, playing Ostheer against USF is all about realising you *will* get clobbered in the early-to-mid game, but also that you're very capable of making a comeback.

So, don't get frustrated, concentrate your Forces (i.e. stay close enough to Support each other), Focus on keeping a Minimum of 1VP, 1 muni and 1 fuel point.

Typically the tide will begin to turn once you get Paks and vetted LMG Grens. I find Mortars to be very helpful against USF, but MGs not so much - use two or none at all.
And the Stug E is downright OP against USF.

Once you've stabilised and regained some territory, the usual playstyle is to wait for a Tiger to seal the deal, however Panzer IVs, well-supported, can also work nicely.

I'll also take a look at your replay tonight, and see if I can give more specific advice.
9 Mar 2015, 20:00 PM

Alright, here are my thoughts upon watching the replay:

- doctrine choice: needlessly early, and not a good one. The Mortar HT and Pak43 could be useful on this map, but the Pak43 is hardly needed against USF tanks.
- at 3:20 you lose a Gren squad because you don't retreat in time. That sets you back a lot.
- the Mortar I would normally approve of, but this is too soon, especially since you just lost a Gren.
- at 4:55 he runs his Rifle blob into your Gren squad. You should've just retreated right away here, yes your Grens are in green cover, but you don't stand a chance here.
- 8:25: your opponent gets Bazookas. This is a HUGE overreaction to your 221 (you can't even afford the 20mm upgrade at this point), and he has a Captain too.
- second Pio squad? what for? Would've been much better to just get another Gren, or even a MG.
- you get the Mortar HT in addition to your regular mortar. Just no. At this point, you fighting troops to beat back the blob, not indirect fire.
- 10:50, you send a lone Grenadier to engage 3 squads of Rifles plus a Captain.

To summarise, I'd say that what lost you the game was a lack of force concentration, sending lone squads to die, and just not enough frontline troops.
The MG and 222 didn't pay of at all.
What you should have done, especially once you saw the Bazooka-spam, was to go for a heavy infantry build- lots of Grens with LMGs, maybe even Panzergrens, and a Pak to zone out the Stuart.
15 Mar 2015, 17:41 PM

Its just ridiculous as Ostheer vs US. I could not even get out of my base after 5 min from start. USA had 1 AA halftrack nex to my base, 4 rifleman squads with bars, MG + captain with thomson.

I tried to encounter with 222 + 4 grens +MG = 222 was killed, mg was killed next and granadiers were killed in 10 sec
17 Mar 2015, 13:26 PM

Its a tough match up, USF early can be incredibly overpowering.

I haven't played a great deal of wehr against USF but I've played a great deal the other way round and here's what people do to give me problems:

- Play relatively defensively, keep your squads close to each other and only take fights where you have an advantage. (long range, green cover blah blah)

- Try skipping MG or getting it abit later, its so easy to get around as USF, you have to do incredibly well with it to get it to pay off. I'd argue another gren is a better investment, particularly when going into the mid game where you're going to need to take back large portions of the map.

- go for mortar if you feel you can protect it, its very very good.

- don't bother with Pak43, its rarely worth it in 1v1 and its way over the top for usf. Normal paks are brilliant anyway and they come early enough to help you against the quad if usf goes for it.

- Stug-e doctrine is hands down the best doc against USF in 1v1. Get the stug as soon as you can its honestly ridiculous. Also means you can get the tiger and avoid teching, most of your tech units are crap vs USF anyway and the cost of doing it is massively prohibitive. Only units worth having on your tech tree are nebel (you'll never be able to protect it though) and panther (but getting all the way through your tech tree to build one will cripple you)
You could try assault grens to try and bolster your early, in honesty i rarely struggle against them as USF (they wreck me as soviets sometimes though). Really inconsistent unit.

- avoid using munitions early and get lmgs on grens asap.

first post and its a wall of text.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS