Login

russian armor

Commander choice for beginners

16 Feb 2015, 14:57 PM

Dear comrades,

I'm new to Coh2-multiplayer, but I played the predecessor a lot. So I get the games principles, the only thing I'm a bit baffled by is the gazillion commanders available. And the number keeps constantly increasing it seems. What's a solid choice of three commanders for a beginner? One I can stick with for a while. And why? I'm willing to buy one or two if it's worth it.
16 Feb 2015, 15:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Shock Rifle Frontline Tactics (Free)
Shocks troops, flame barrage and the IS-2 makest his very good against infantry and heavier tanks alike
Guard Motor Coordinated (free)
Guards are currently not all that great but have utility. the 120mm is amazing vs OKW trucks and campy players. Mark vehicle makes tackling any heavy tank a lot easier(35% extra damage) and the 85 provide a lot of shock power

Then for teamgames I think either one of the ISU-152 commanders or the Counterattack tactics

Advanced warfare is good for 1v1 too and will be given to you in 48 hours
16 Feb 2015, 15:28 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Hello and Welcome!

I was going to do a Guide for the Common Commanders for starting players at some point to address precisely that question.

Soviets:

Shock Rifle

This is probably THE Commander right now

Incendiary Barrage takes out enemy team weapons, IS-2s are the best Allied Armour.

Shocks are helpful, AT-Camo can be an unwelcome surprise and the KV-8 can be handy.

Basically everything in this doc is useful

Guard Motor

Guards are not especially hot right now, but can be useful

However the 120mm mortar is very nasty, especially against OKW trucks

Dual T34/85 call in can gives you numbers and Mark Target can help take down big Axis arnour

Of the others:

I suspect a lot of these suffer as they are really designed for 1941 TOW rather than multiplayer.

However:

Combined Arms

Ok for your third pick.

Gives your team recon, and yourself an artillery piece to target OKW trucks and heavy armour. Also gives you a bomb strike for that too.

Means you are reliant upon stock armour however

For the others:

Guard Rifle Combined

If you feel you are comfortable getting up close and personal with Cons, otherwise not too hot

Shock Army

Also potent up close and with ranged abilities. However will be very, very MP intensive. I doubt that people can field everything that this commander has (Shocks, 120mm Mortars, PPSH Cons, ML-20)

Irregulars

People won't take you seriously if you play this, but it has an interesting suite of abilities though lacks late game punch apart from the artillery
16 Feb 2015, 20:46 PM

Yeah IS-2, t34/85 or ISU-152
16 Feb 2015, 20:48 PM

Advanced warfare is good for 1v1 too and will be given to you in 48 hours

They will give the commanders again? :huhsign:
16 Feb 2015, 21:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge

We won Make War Not Love 2

So, probably

It might be linked to the achievement this time

Last year you just had to login the week after
17 Feb 2015, 14:15 PM

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to that guide of yours. Are partisans completely out of the question? I enjoy the concept and their guide gave them even more appael.
17 Feb 2015, 14:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Partisans are not a choice for raw power, but in the right situation, on the right map and with the right teammates I think they can be useful, and they are always fun.
17 Feb 2015, 15:05 PM

Partisans are quite fun but you need a lot of skills to use them correctly. So this commander is definitively not for a beginner.
17 Feb 2015, 15:19 PM

For the Ostheer I would suggest:

Spearhead Doctrine (mortar ht, tank smoke, recon flight, frag bomb, tiger)

Assault Support Doctrine (Officer, Opel Blitz, strafing run, frag bomb, tiger)

Mechanized Assault Doctrine (Assault grens, mechanized assault group, stug E, light arty barrage, tiger)
17 Feb 2015, 15:33 PM

If youre new try all of the commanders. It is one of the most fun things in this game. Dont start with going the commaders you have been recommended here as it will shorten the time the game is fun significantly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★