Login

russian armor

Lack of Global Upgrades

11 Jan 2015, 18:25 PM

I think that COh2 is missing some strategic depth in terms of global upgrades. In COH1, we had the Supply Yard and the Wehrmacht Vet building (ok it was kinda gimmicky but it was still there). There were some neat upgrades like the Sherman gun upgrade.

These abilities added another layer of decision-making and thought into the game. You had to think about when to make these upgrades/buildings, and how it would benefit you in the short-term and long-term.

Right now, too many upgrades are either for individual units or locked behind commanders. The worst offender is the LMG upgrades. Seems like Relic decided not to be creative and to give nearly all infantry units an LMG (Riflemen, Grens, Paras, Ostruppen, Guards, Partisans, Irregulars, etc).

Unfortunately, some awesome global modifications are locked behind commanders, such as Soviet Industry, Ostruppen, and Close Air Support. It would be grea if these upgrades were modified so it could into the base game. New upgrades should be added as well (although, i am not sure that will ever happen).

New Ideas for Global, Non-doc Upgrades

USF

1. New ability/building that mimics the Supply Yard form COH1. Maybe decrease upkeep costs or manpower costs
2. Sherman upgun
3. "Radio Tower" - New building that allows air support to be called.

OKW
1. New ability at HQ that improves vehicle or infantry speed by a certain percentage.
2. "The Fuhrer's Wrath" - Instant production of a single unit at the cost of slower build times for other units for a certain number of minutes.

Soviet Union

1. New ability/building that lowers build times for all units.
2. "Communications Hub" - Building that allows artillery strikes to be called down.
3. T34 upgun

Ostheer
1. "Desperate Defense" - Ability that allows defensive structures to be built almost instanty. Infantry have the ability to dig trenches and sand bags
2. New ability that increases the acceleration of all Ostheer vehicles.
11 Jan 2015, 19:09 PM
Donator 11

It looks like you want to turn COH into Starcraft
11 Jan 2015, 20:15 PM

It looks like you want to turn COH into Starcraft

He is right though. His ideas are not really good in my opinion (Fuhrer's wrath isn't even a global upgrade) but I'm not sure the game has any such upgrade at all. T-34 upgun would be a great option to add at least one and increase competitivness of Soviet stock units. I doubt Relic will make such a move, there won't be any faction changes, and besides that, it would need some doctrines changed.
11 Jan 2015, 20:48 PM

Inverse, it looks like ur words have been stolen a year later lol
11 Jan 2015, 20:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2015, 20:48 PMJ1N6666
Inverse, it looks like ur words have been stolen a year later lol

hheeeehhhheee
11 Jan 2015, 22:04 PM

US: Sherman upgun to M4A3 76 (W)

Soviet: T-34/85 upgrade, DP28 purchasable from base?

OST: Global armored skirt for extra protection against HEAT/PTRS rifle

OKW: MP44 for VG squad leader and panzerfaust for Storm pioneer?

I spend untold hours playing and enjoying vCOH, many options and manymore fun that time, but COH2, the SU are forced to make hard designs, and US/OKW are forced to blob, things get old very quickly.
11 Jan 2015, 22:24 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Flamepost #6 invised. Please do not :)

Back to topic.
11 Jan 2015, 22:47 PM

everyone who was in the closed beta back in 2012 told relic, HEY RELIC, GIVE US MORE GLOBAL UPGRADES, PLS!

and they didn't listen then. and they won't listen now. we've been telling them for the entire game's release that the game needs more global upgrades... and they'd rather turn the other cheek and implement more broken P2W DOCTRINES :snfBarton:
12 Jan 2015, 09:26 AM

1. These changes are not gonna happen, this game has already been released ages age.
2. Go to No.1
3. Go to no.2

Joking aside, I get the gist of what you are saying and that feels kinda cool. These are good ideas for new commanders. But from a strategic perspective I don't like global changes.

This would make some upgrades a no-brainer like Bars for Riflemen or LMGs on grens. And what if you want to have a versatile army? Some bazookas, some Schreks, Some shermans with short barrel and some with long barrel etc. The current state also makes unit preservation more and more important, So beside saving your units for their vets, you have to keep them alive for they equipment they have. What what if you want to lets say downgun your Sherman after you realize that you enemy has changed his tactics and now you need a short barrel tan. Same goes for units like Pzgrens. Again, these Ideas seem cool for new commanders.
12 Jan 2015, 10:14 AM
Donator 33

Another problem is that at most people's levels of play (average joe) it would incentivise camping around and teching all your unlocks. One of the things I like about coh2 is how it really encourages you to go all in at all stages of the game.
12 Jan 2015, 11:46 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2015, 09:26 AMRMMLz
1. These changes are not gonna happen, this game has already been released ages age.
2. Go to No.1
3. Go to no.2

Joking aside, I get the gist of what you are saying and that feels kinda cool. These are good ideas for new commanders. But from a strategic perspective I don't like global changes.

This would make some upgrades a no-brainer like Bars for Riflemen or LMGs on grens. And what if you want to have a versatile army? Some bazookas, some Schreks, Some shermans with short barrel and some with long barrel etc. The current state also makes unit preservation more and more important, So beside saving your units for their vets, you have to keep them alive for they equipment they have. What what if you want to lets say downgun your Sherman after you realize that you enemy has changed his tactics and now you need a short barrel tan. Same goes for units like Pzgrens. Again, these Ideas seem cool for new commanders.

great point, agree wholeheartedly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS