Login

russian armor

Are there any pros over 30?

25 Apr 2013, 17:58 PM
Donator 22

Hi sluzbenik,
I am above 30 as well and I see two issues
  • I am getting slower. If you look at people in the age of 70 it becomes obvious that people get slower as they age. At some age, you reach your peak. And that peak is for sure below 30. So have to compensate for your physical decay with brain power or mental experience. And as with every sport, that works for some time, as the mental peak for a RTS like CoH should be above 30. I hope!
  • the other issue for people above 30 is probably the availability of lots of free time to play.

but anyhow, if you only get pleasure from beating the best in the world, that is tough
25 Apr 2013, 18:32 PM

I am just so tired after a long days of work - and after that then there are other obligations - wife - kids - gym etc etc.

As some one stated out that once thes obligations have been met THEN you can sit down for a game, and that is usually very late.

By that time then you are tired and your reactions are not so good compared to a school children or a college kid that has more free time and dont have to worry about adult stuff.

That is why I can never get so many games going as most of the kids on coh - or even get to a high lvl of play - I am simply too tired..... I play when I have time and that is not very often - and if it is then its a very short time.
25 Apr 2013, 18:37 PM

Just curious...I've been playing 1v1 a lot in both COH and COH2, trying to improve my micro.

It's just not improving. I'm just not fast enough. My macro is fine, but I hit a wall I think two years ago with my micro...I finally mastered counter sniping a day ago, but my speed on retreat, my ability to multitask and click around fast enough to check on things just has never improved. I'm starting to think it's my age and I should hang it up. Team games and 2v2s aren't good enough. I wanted to be semi-pro at least...I think I was a level 14 player at one point, but can't even make that now...

I tried to upload a replay to show a very decent player vs. me, not sure it went up...I got map control on Sturz, but he managed to build up anyway, eventually got my M8s and then started constantly base raiding me to kill the arty...I fought most of them off but lost too much. So frustrating...

Anyway just curious...

thanks all.

Dont u worry, im 31 and im doing just fine XD Add me in the real coh and we can play =)
25 Apr 2013, 21:06 PM

Pro is exactly that. A professional, someone who gets paid to play.

I make distinction between real professionals and good players by calling them pro (abbreviation for professional aka being payed for what you do) and pr0 (really good player of his chosen game/highest tier)

I think there are no 30 year old pr0's because they have more commitments over gaming. Work, potential wife, early middleage crisis etc. is all things that take time. I played insane amounts of dow 2 last year and the year before that (over 1000 hours on my account now, and I think it have gotten wiped at least once) but thats because I lived in a small town, with social events only on weekends, and school that I cared modestly about. So if I wanted to game for 8 hours one day, I could. Now I can't do that at all since I have more commitments since I moved out. If I were to try for being a pr0 now, I would probably need to abandon most of my social life & work out schedule to get the time to do it. I mean when I was sixteen I could just eat whatever I wanted and play games. Oh how the table turn quickly. :P
25 Apr 2013, 21:50 PM

im 31 and it all really depends in how much time u can put into the game, playing every other day just doesnt work, u need constanly play to be on top of it, so no wonder that kids are playing it better. the only thing u can do is come up with some pro strat since we are way smarter then these youngsters
25 Apr 2013, 22:51 PM

so if Pro = make money from game, I don't think there will be many over 30 or even past college age. Reason being, I can't put in the hours needed in the hopes to win $50 and a graphics card. Sorry, baby needs milk or he starts to cry : )

I get the game, understand the strats, pretty much know the macro and micro (visually when i see it, doing it is tough consistently), but yeah you got practice every day, several games a day. Just not going to happen once you have a family. If I'm lucky I can get in about 10-15 hours per week which could be good I think, but the problem is it's usually in the midnight to 2:00am range after a really long day. So not only time put in, but when i'm putting it in.
26 Apr 2013, 01:23 AM

Not sure, I suck totally at Call of Duty, Battlefield was always more my pace...Plus I liked the strategy of actually taking and holding points better.

Yeah I call them KFC...They're kind of ridiculous, good for clearing AT guns late game and that's about it. They never throw enough assault nades to do real damage and if one of them dies, your opponent probably gets a stripe of vet for it.
26 Apr 2013, 10:45 AM

im 31 and doing just fine, maby a bit slow =) but we are way smarter then these youngsters as mariens just said XD heh,
26 Apr 2013, 17:49 PM

... my time of good gaming days were in 1992+ with Street Fighter 2 in the arcades, then later on I went FPS with Counter Strike in 1999/2000 and I was actually very good.

I was also a top dog for Mario Cart for the SNES and was about to send in a replay for the guinnes book of records - in the end I did not send it but I still have the original photo in my albums!

I grew up with the Amstrad and NES.... so I have been gaming a long time and I must say thT I have allways been pretty good in my *youth*...

Now days I have too many things to deal with in real life + kids + wife etc etc.. I am ok, but not anywhere near as good as I was.
26 Apr 2013, 18:33 PM

When I read ur post I got smile on my face Pedobear,SNES Mario kart I waS very good at it
too,breaking my own time trial record over and over again and then set a record that is virtually impossible to beat(maybe only in my mind):)
28 Apr 2013, 12:45 PM
8 May 2013, 12:33 PM

Sluzbenik odakle si ti ?

About the topic, maybe u are just not very talented for CoH? I don't think I am either, I'd say I am averagely gifted compared to most ppl I started to play with at the same time or there about.
I started playing online in may 2012 and I am at lvl 10-11 lvl with us/wehr/pe now days, I have friends who played 2-3 times more games then I did and for whom I feel I just need to play more matches to be as good as them. But for some I feel I could never reach the same lvl (if they keep playing), because those guys have that something extra that makes them good lvl 16. More edge, more speed, more talent, more skill. Game was made to suit them.

U mentioned CoD and BF, personally I am just much much better at FPS games, give me a new random FPS and give it to 10 other guys for the 1st time and I'll be in the top 3 for sure. I just have it in me. That flow and feel for the shooting game, the ease to go around and kill stuff. It's almost as u are born with these things.

Unfortunately I am 29 now and real life is putting more and more pressure on me, I have to work, I have a girlfriend, a dog, lot's of friends, I do some sports and I have really little time for video games. So I kinda had to pick one, and I picked up CoH. That's the only thing I play these days. I am well aware that could never reach any great lvl of skill as I could in most FPS games but I don't care. Game is awesome and it gives me the lvl of satisfaction I want in a video game.

But that pretty much goes along with ppl here said already, u get slower with age, but not that much, and the real problem is u don't have the time and mental freedom to commit yourself to the game as a teenage or college kid has.

So imho in CoH age is important but not as important as in starcraft where speed and reflexes are essential to play decently.
You can still be "pro" at 30+ if u commit enough and have that particular talent required for this game.

9 May 2013, 03:48 AM

I don't know, I guess there are just basic things I don't understand...Like PE still gives me problems. I just lost on Wrecked Train to lots of PE spam and then one of everything basically...good combined arms, I dunno what I was supposed to do...What I really need is a mentor, but it doesn't seem like the mentoring program is alive anymore. It's really frustrating playing this game so long and still not being better than I am.

9 May 2013, 12:17 PM

Well if u have problems with what to do in a game, what BO to use, how to respond to stuff your opponent does, those surely ain't problems that have anything to do with age. You made a topic about how one reaches his peek in this game and can't do better because he is "slower" then young guys.
From what u say now that's not your problem.
About mentoring, why do u need specific mentoring? Just watch streams whenever u can and replays. On streams u can interact with great players and get lots of knowledge.
I have surely watched 3-4 times more games then i have actually played, so in my case the knowledge of the game is way ahead of my skill. I know much more then I can do. :D
15 May 2013, 02:29 AM

Hi, I do watch replays all the time but I guess I don't learn much from them...When I'm playing I copy certain cap orders or whatever, but COH is such a fluid game it's hard to just say "do that", I mean I usually have a strat in mind early game. But seriously I just need someone to look at replays and show me the mistakes...like I just got beat on Beaux to M8s, I was trying to go T3, but I don't understand on a map like that how you are supposed to keep him off the fuel near your base while defending the other one at least...I managed to get to T3, but he was mine spamming and my puma got owned, not like I had ammo to upgun it anyway, because I had to faust the M8 that was in my base...Idk, Wehr is just more difficult than I guess I can play really, you can NEVER EVER make a mistake, or run over a mine, and you're basically screwed once there is a flank you can't stop. I've been playing for years and I still just don't get it. Really need some mentoring...

15 May 2013, 13:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 00:06 AMwehrman
what's pro? Like you make money playing the game? Or certain level, top 10 ranking, etc.

I'm 41, just scratched into lev 15 wehr. Probably more like a lev 13-14 consistent player, but I beat 3 lev 15s in a row on the non steam version few weeks ago to get to lev 15 yeah!!!!

But still lots to learn. Clicks and mousing around aren't my problems. I'm just flat out exhausted after long day of work, time with kids at home, taking care of wife, etc. that by the time I play, my reaction time has got to be shit. But I've had some fun games. Beat #10 or #11 on the Brit leader board once!!! Hoorah!

I would say lvl 15+ (old steam) is considered pro in the colloquial sense that we use the word here.

15 May 2013, 13:43 PM

also when i got banned once by generallhell at his strram for saying the following, i will say it again.

you are pro at this game when you enjoy it and dont take it to serious.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★