Login

russian armor

Pushing past 50

2 Nov 2014, 16:54 PM

So I've played several hundred online games, and I'm at the point where my 1v1 win ratio hovers at around 50% (give or take a couple of percentage points). It's quite a mediocre result given the time I've spent playing so far, but I'm still pumped about the game.

Any pointers on what I can do to really up my game to get past this point? It's a general question, I know. I'm not asking for a specific strategy for battle, but rather...a learning strategy? Advice on matters outside of direct play that might also affect performance are also welcome (hardware, mental state, etc.). Basically, I'm open to all suggestions.

I play exclusively as Soviets. I know how the Axis factions work because of the campaign and the DLC missions, but I never really play them online. Is that part of the problem?

Also, I've noticed that quite a few top ranked players got there with relatively few games. Is there something I'm missing?
2 Nov 2014, 17:09 PM

Well first of all having played all factions is vital , it will help you alot learning about the factions you are actually not playing. Why ? Because you see what your opponents use ( strats / buildorders etc. ).

I will leave out the obvious stuff (working on unitpreservation/micro and so on).

I think what is most important is to read your opponents. Being able to see what unit will be likely to hit the field next and to react properly to it.

The best way to achieve that is to play, at best all factions for a while.
Some are more fun than others - for some people that is. I do not play USF e.g. - but i did play them a bit.

Also watching streams/replays/Observer mode of good players will most likely vastly improve your play
2 Nov 2014, 17:35 PM

Few tipps from me:

Use Hotkeys (this is very important), watch the doctrines of the opponent when the game is loading to know what is coming, use as many different units you can, surprise your opponent with flanks,watch your flanks, move your units around (don't camp at one place), retreat them early enough, use healing at the base, lay mines, use cover as much as you can.

I hope that helps a little!

About playing all factions, it is very important but you don't have to play them online (imho), you can play them in custom games vs. AI. It is very helpful to know the abilities from the units and doctrines they have.

2 Nov 2014, 23:06 PM

Well first of all having played all factions is vital , it will help you alot learning about the factions you are actually not playing. Why ? Because you see what your opponents use ( strats / buildorders etc. ).

I will leave out the obvious stuff (working on unitpreservation/micro and so on).

I think what is most important is to read your opponents. Being able to see what unit will be likely to hit the field next and to react properly to it.

The best way to achieve that is to play, at best all factions for a while.
Some are more fun than others - for some people that is. I do not play USF e.g. - but i did play them a bit.

Also watching streams/replays/Observer mode of good players will most likely vastly improve your play

Thanks man. I suspected learning the other factions is what's really vital. The best opponents I ever played read me like a book and knew how to counter my build order perfectly. I need to learn how to do the same.

I started watching some replays and streams, and that definitely helped a lot. Even saw one or two of yours and really learned a lot. I'll need to make more of an effort to watch more.

Few tipps from me:

Use Hotkeys (this is very important), watch the doctrines of the opponent when the game is loading to know what is coming, use as many different units you can, surprise your opponent with flanks,watch your flanks, move your units around (don't camp at one place), retreat them early enough, use healing at the base, lay mines, use cover as much as you can.

I hope that helps a little!

About playing all factions, it is very important but you don't have to play them online (imho), you can play them in custom games vs. AI. It is very helpful to know the abilities from the units and doctrines they have.

Thanks Sandreas. Those are all very good points and I've learned to do every single one of them.

I think some time playing custom matches offline to learn opponents' build orders is, um...in order.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★