Login

russian armor

A discussion about some problems with Infantry.

26 Oct 2014, 18:45 PM

I havent posted in a long time so idk if these points have been covered before.

Lack of upgrades for units = 1st and foremost, this is probably the main reason why LMGs are so complained about. Its because more often than not, theres really no choice for it to happen, units more often than not only have one upgrade path.

Grens = LMG
Gaurds = LMG
Obers = comes with LMG, no upgrades
Panzergrens = shreks
volks = shreks
Falls = no upgrades
cons = Absolutely no WEAPON upgrades
Shocks = SMG upgrade removed way back then

Since other than doctrines, there are no ways to get other weapon choices into your army, the only option becomes the weapon with the biggest stat stick, which is the LMG.

Lack of balanced counterplay and role differenation = There are a bunch of units that when combined form into a certain ball of death that becomes unstoppable. That is fine if other ways of play can counter it.

Biggest offenders:
Volks -> Panzer shrek upgrade
Grens -> LMG upgrade
Rifles -> LMG upgrade
Rifles -> zooks upgrade
Obers -> LMG 34
Falls -> long range rifles

How can this problem be solved? Introduce weaknesses!!!
LMG = Make it a spray and pray weapon, short mid range, with an absolute horrible long range accuarcy / efficency.
Long range rifles (G43s) = Give them more long range DPS (because currently they suck) but with close to negative penalities at short range.
SMGs units = alright spot right now, but needs more on the move accuarcy. I doubt these are the type of infantry to be standing around when a fight happens.

The above weaknesses are seriously not pronounced enough. Weapons like LMG, STILL GIVE LONG RANGE DPS even though its against their design, something like that should seriously be re-evaluated. Imagine just because the SMG upgrade option exists, does it mean it absolutely has to give stats in every area in including long range DPS? No, it is absurd. Weapon upgrades should be a choice to specialize the unit in a certain area, if everything is a generalist upgrade like it is currently, we will just have another blob meta.

Volks panzershrek blobs = this thing wouldnt be happening at all if volks didnt only have access to a panzershrek upgrade and I think that its just lack of choices in general. To solve this, maybe give them like an MP40 upgrade and specialize them or something, people (me included) already complain about their crap AI ability in general. That way volks arn't always built to be blobed.

Obers blobs = LOL, this unit omg... As much as you guys think this unit sucks... I actually think there was so much potential with this unit with upgrades. Assualt kit, Infiltration Kit (PISTOLS / DEMOLITION!!!), Light Jeager Sniper kits, Operation Greif Kit (wouldve been amazing), Standard Kit... omfg, instead, its just a unit thats linear in design that is just built beacuse its the best unit in the game. Again, to fix this, give it upgrades and remove the stupid stat stick called the MG34 it gets at the beginning... there is absolutely no counter play against this unit other than wasting munitions to force it back.

Rifle lmg blobs = god do I hate fighting this as much as the next person. Solution, make thompsons avaiable as an upgrade at the beginning. BARs may have been common in ww2, but not as much as thompsons, so why isnt it seen more in this game?

Gren LMG blobbing = because what else is there to upgrade? The germans had a very diverse weapon arsenal im pretty sure. Give them G43s at like T2 or something and let them have mark target (beta COH2) for 20-30 munitions.

Maxim spamming solution = because conscrpits suck so hard... Solution, give conscripts more utility. Where? Give them smokes in one of their grenade upgrades. Why this? Because it will add more value to a conscript squad's fighting power as well as hinder maxim play at the same time with all the smoke going around. This change will also make soviets the most smoke intensive faction and will let conscripts scale to late game simply with utility AND SMOKE!!!

In conclusion: I think the lack of upgrades is really hurting the game overall. Why? Because it takes out diverse builds and reflex / impulse reactions to certain things that are happening in the game. This especially hurts factions such as Soviets and OKW the most due to their non generalized tech and commitment to their tech structures.

The above were my thoughts, what do you guys think about the Infantry Gameplay in its current state?
26 Oct 2014, 23:18 PM
Patrion 28

one thing that dow2 did well was giving units trade off upgrades. there are only two i can think of right now and that's pgren shreks and cons PTRS.
26 Oct 2014, 23:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2014, 18:45 PMJ1N6666

LMG = Make it a spray and pray weapon, short mid range, with an absolute horrible long range accuarcy / efficency.

The above weaknesses are seriously not pronounced enough. Weapons like LMG, STILL GIVE LONG RANGE DPS even though its against their design, something like that should seriously be re-evaluated.

Since when LMG's are short ranged weapons :O ? Against their design, what do you mean ?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★