Login

russian armor

The Great "Free weekend Kill-a-Puppy" massacre.

Are free weekends good for a game like CoH2, in it's current state?
Option Distribution Votes
60%
40%
Total votes: 53
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
18 Oct 2014, 21:53 PM

So, I've had a few multiplayer games this weekend, with the guys I roll with, and well, been constantly matched against players in for the free weekend.

How is it even possible to be matched against these poor guys? It feels how I imagine killing a helpless puppy must feel, looking up at me with those sad little eyes, whimpering, whilst I take a meat cleaver out and promptly chop it's head off. This doesn't feel good to me, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel good to that poor free weekender.

So at the end of tomorrow, when the free weekend is over, I'm pretty sure for most of these guys who joined in for the free weekend, if they've dipped their toes into multiplayer, are going to have a lasting impression of being slaughtered.

This also showcases just how bad the matchmaker is. There are plenty of people online, with roughly 65-35% split for the factions. There must have been a better match up for both teams, in the numerous games I've played.

Is this a good idea ultimately for marketing? Well played Relic, well played...
18 Oct 2014, 22:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

well I'm not really sure how it could make things any worse, even if it doesn't necessarily improve either.
18 Oct 2014, 22:04 PM

I don't know Romeo, they have a new release coming out in 30 days. Lot's of potential new buyers out there, who might be playing the free weekend.

Also thanks for taking time out of your busy Hollywood schedule, to post in this thread Owen! ;)
18 Oct 2014, 22:04 PM
Patrion 14

In the nicest possible way, point not found. In any mature RTS or FPS you approach it as a noob at your peril. I played some Titanfall recently as a noob and went into it utterly expecting to get my arse re-bored then handed to me sans lube.

Which is what happened.

So people stepping into CoH2 MP, I suspect, are doing so knowing full well they are getting a taste of what the competition is like once they stick at it.

18 Oct 2014, 22:09 PM

Point taken Wombat, however, RTS and FPS cannot possibly be compared, due to learning curves.

Any RTS worth it's salt will either have some kind of competent match maker (SC2), or it'll have a lobby for games, that's intuitive to use, so that noobs can set up noob friendly zones (VCoH).

Coh2 has neither.
18 Oct 2014, 22:10 PM

In the nicest possible way, point not found. In any mature RTS or FPS you approach it as a noob at your peril. I played some Titanfall recently as a noob and went into it utterly expecting to get my arse re-bored then handed to me sans lube.

Which is what happened.

So people stepping into CoH2 MP, I suspect, are doing so knowing full well they are getting a taste of what the competition is like once they stick at it.

The problem comes when you move from large scale team battle FPS with regular re-spawns and no real player power schism- just player quality.

In something like Counter Strike, you can be a massive noob and die every game. But you'll always respawn, always have a gun, and you can start every round fresh. It regularly resets the playing field so even the noobs can learn from the last life and try better next time.

In CoH2, the number of players is 8 max. In CoH2, a noob that fudges his play is stuck with a crippled army that can't fight on an equal field any more because of veterancy and resources. In CoH2, your noob mistake does not last a mere five minutes. You're stuck with your errors having cost you the game in the first five minutes but making you sit through a hopeless struggle for a further 20.

And I certainly feel bad when I know my opponent isn't skilled, is trying, but no longer has a chance. It's dull for me and it's frustrating for them.

Only more players and tighter MM spread can really fix that. Something we can't magic out of nowhere, sadly.
18 Oct 2014, 22:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I think the timing of the free weekend should have been considered a little more, but I also believe there are some benefits to having it now.

The Case for Why it is Bad

If a new player is trying out the game on free weekend, they are currently being exposed to a multiplayer game state that many people are frustrated with. Bugs are a big issue, and extreme balance outliers (Axis 3v3, 4v4) create a frustrating situation for both factions. Additionally, if a player decides to buy the game, they will have to readjust to whatever balance changes happen this month.

From a marketing stand point, I also feel they should have waited until their fancy new features were introduced. Obs Mode, other stuff that will "blow our mind" according to Cynthia. That adds huge value to the game. The added value may result in more purchases, if they waited until the October patch was released to have the free weekend.

The Case for Why it is Good

On the other hand, the huge increase in players may provide a large volume of extra data Relic can analyze. We know they track game data, and increasing your sample size before finalizing a patch may help make final balance decisions. I heard talk of an open beta next week, but I don't know if this was announced in the stream (missed most of it).
18 Oct 2014, 23:09 PM

I haven't been matched against new players at all yet.
18 Oct 2014, 23:23 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2014, 22:35 PMOhme
.............. I heard talk of an open beta next week, but I don't know if this was announced in the stream (missed most of it).

It was ;)
18 Oct 2014, 23:29 PM

Permanently Banned
Imagine perspective of a first-time player who chooses to do 4v4 automatch as USF. Do you think they would ever come back?
18 Oct 2014, 23:32 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

It's a good way to rack up your killstreak until you get a good team and suddenly have to use micro and dodge nades
18 Oct 2014, 23:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2014, 22:00 PMRomeo
well I'm not really sure how it could make things any worse, even if it doesn't necessarily improve either.

pretty much this , I would say it would be better to have had this happen after the october patch ( in case its any good ) . However it doesnt hurt either. If we gain some more players it was worth it
Vaz
19 Oct 2014, 00:28 AM

I think the timing is bad, but in all honesty, the real question your asking in this topic is:

Should there be a free weekend or should people continue ignoring/not knowing about this game?

I'd rather they come on here and get beat down rather than never play it all.
19 Oct 2014, 01:39 AM

Okay, I take it back. I'm getting hit hard with new players tonight. The harvest of slaughter I'm reaping is unprecedented.
19 Oct 2014, 21:42 PM

Free weekend can have only positive result.
If someone plays the game (without having to buy it) and not like it, he will leave. If he likes it (buys it) he stays.
That simple
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 48
unknown 36
Germany 10
unknown 4
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W