Login

russian armor

Modern strategy games are complex, but chess is beautiful...

6 Oct 2014, 11:16 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Modern strategy games are complex, but chess is beautiful in its simplicity

nice article:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Viewpoints/Big-Smile-No-Teeth/Profile/Articles/2014/10/05/Modern-strategy-games-versus-chess/

Compare this to a modern strategy game like Company of Heroes 2. There are dozens of different units of different sizes with a multitude of capabilities for different situations. Units are designed to counter each other, but given the random variations in the game due to things like cover, elevation, and the realism of random factors of combat, any unit can overcome another.

The players don’t know where the enemy is unless they are actively doing recon, and the other players’ units are definitely not known as requisition of new units is to either surprise or counter the enemy.

6 Oct 2014, 11:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2014, 11:16 AMnigo
Modern strategy games are complex, but chess is beautiful in its simplicity

nice article:

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Viewpoints/Big-Smile-No-Teeth/Profile/Articles/2014/10/05/Modern-strategy-games-versus-chess/

How did you even find this. I can't even find this kind of article on a that site which is a Malaysian site... To make it even worse, my dad works at this company as well.
6 Oct 2014, 11:32 AM
Donator 33

I could be wrong about chess, but beyond the well-known strategies it seems to me that it mostly rewards the player with the patience and/or capacity to mentally trial and error a good number of moves ahead. I guess this is intellectual in a way but certainly not what I'd ever describe as 'deep'.

On the other hand there are stories of grandmasters who are able to beat many opponents simultaneously, implying much less time to think. However this sort of intuition (situations triggering memory) develops through vast experience just as it would in any activity.
6 Oct 2014, 11:53 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2014, 11:27 AMsteel
How did you even find this. I can't even find this kind of article on a that site which is a Malaysian site... To make it even worse, my dad works at this company as well.

google news

6 Oct 2014, 12:18 PM

I could be wrong about chess, but beyond the well-known strategies it seems to me that it mostly rewards the player with the patience and/or capacity to mentally trial and error a good number of moves ahead. I guess this is intellectual in a way but certainly not what I'd ever describe as 'deep'.

On the other hand there are stories of grandmasters who are able to beat many opponents simultaneously, implying much less time to think. However this sort of intuition (situations triggering memory) develops through vast experience just as it would in any activity.

It is true that Grand Masters can take on a room full of people. They are not playing 50 games. They are playing each board as they get to it from the position given. But because of their experience, study and mastery of the game they will beat the opponent 99 times out of 100. But on any given Sunday they would beat every one of the 100 players in that room in a match 1 on 1. But they aren't playing those players, they are playing that one position, on 50 boards, each time they move on to the next player.
6 Oct 2014, 12:39 PM
Benefactor 115

wasn't :snfAmi: the chess nerd here :P ?
6 Oct 2014, 12:51 PM

Permanently Banned
CoH2 might be more "modern" and "complex" but it certainly doesn't have a deeper meta
6 Oct 2014, 13:27 PM

CoH2 might be more "modern" and "complex" but it certainly doesn't have a deeper meta
Gren-HMG42-Pak-Tiger is very deep actually and you can see the amount of planning and skill needed to perform it. :snfBarton:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★