Login

russian armor

The big why (GR)

19 Nov 2012, 10:27 AM
Benefactor 115

Everyone loves drama :D

I've been involved with GR for a long time even before the site was created and it was known as CnCReplays.com

I finally decided to quit when I had enough of the bullshit from the ownership. One day saying they'll handle sponsors then the next day saying I had to do it, still stuck in 2005 with strat guides and lists, would never take on board suggestions and many other issues I don't wish to post in public.

The site has some good potential but the management has no vision, no imagination, no rapport with the community and no motivation to do anything with their massive user base.
19 Nov 2012, 10:33 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Pretty much all that seb said. I foresaw the idea of a standalone CoH community years ago but never had the motivation to go out and do what these guys have done, in fact, you might already have called the CoH community on GR a standalone community and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

That's not to say that GR has not got a great group of admins and moderation on it but what ipkaifung says is very true about the vision, imagination or expansion. Maybe those things are there, but they don't seem to have been worked on.
19 Nov 2012, 10:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 10:06 AMSeb

We do use Yii framework, and some extensions or modules going with it so I can't really stay it's totally from scratch. But even for half of them, I already see limitations or even had to change some part of their code. :/ It is indeed no forum framework though, but I just hope the effort will be worth it.

At the end of the day, getting used to Yii, and CSS styling (which I hate), were the two most time consuming aspects, not so much creating the basic forum structure, which I think took me around the same time to build as it would have been to get used to yet another framework (for forums) and adapt it. Also the forums how we have build them will be the most easily adaptable to any new content we create requiring posts, such as replays or vods, or news and the pm system which are already up.

CSS styling is the one bit of my job I always enjoy :p Your effort has been worth it though, it's a nice looking site.

I suppose a little extra time in the beginning will be worth it in the long run if it makes developing new features easier. Hopefully you can build on the site and roll out the features GR was never able to give the CoH section.
Seb
19 Nov 2012, 10:47 AM
Admin Black Badge

Ami did a lot of the design & CSS work too, the current look of the site is more on him than me!

And thank you for the wishes, we all hope the same. :)
19 Nov 2012, 11:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Can do a lot more for CoH2 independent from GR - end of.

Oh and I'm able to contribute to the community here.
19 Nov 2012, 11:24 AM

tbh I always thought it was your own decision to leave 12azor. That you'd thrown a tantrum and fallen out with GR and / or the CoH section and had asked to be banned and have all your posts removed.

Of course I only ever get one side of the story and usually only half of that so am frequently wrong.
19 Nov 2012, 12:21 PM

I cant see how this could be a bad thing. Now with two "major" sites supporting CoH 2 and its community, the cooperation or competition between them will hopefully create a stronger and more attractive community and game. And I think the outcome that will surely happen is that the community will benefit. :)
19 Nov 2012, 12:23 PM
Honorary Member Badge

tbh I always thought it was your own decision to leave 12azor. That you'd thrown a tantrum and fallen out with GR and / or the CoH section and had asked to be banned and have all your posts removed.

Of course I only ever get one side of the story and usually only half of that so am frequently wrong.

I got banned, a few times and finally permenantly from the site. I'm not going to discuss the details etc. of it here though - this site is for the progression of the community =).
19 Nov 2012, 12:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 12:23 PM12azor
I got banned, a few times and finally permenantly from the site. I'm not going to discuss the details etc. of it here though - this site is for the progression of the community =).

You've corrected my misconception. I appreciate the off topic detour.
19 Nov 2012, 12:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2012, 12:23 PM12azor

Hopefully they don't ban 12's here as fast. :p
19 Nov 2012, 15:14 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

It's hard for me to answer this question w/o getting worked up emotionally, as I was loyal to GR for 6 years. I was just under 20k posts and I have no idea how many newsposts I created or events I managed. The reasons we left have already been eloquently posted by seb and ntd. It's been a ton of work, but these are happy days for us. Let's keep that great vibe going.
19 Nov 2012, 15:19 PM

Will there be a fair play section and suspension/banning of cheaters from the site?
19 Nov 2012, 15:20 PM
Honorary Member Badge

hopefully the anti cheat measures in CoH2 are superiour to CoH1 and such a section will not be necessary!!
19 Nov 2012, 15:22 PM

GR was great but I do think that the decision to move on had to be made, for the reasons stated above.

This site is awesome.
19 Nov 2012, 15:25 PM

hopefully the anti cheat measures in CoH2 are superiour to CoH1 and such a section will not be necessary!!

That would indeed be fabulous.
Seb
19 Nov 2012, 15:30 PM
Admin Black Badge

As OnkelSam said, the idea is that we hopefully won't need it for COH2. If it becomes a need for the community we'll certainly create it, but as far as I know THQ and Relic are aware of the issue and will make the necessary on their part.
19 Nov 2012, 15:31 PM

I won't write alot but Im sure something like that was already posted by others the reason they left GR, and similar thing can be applied to my old clan and why I left it . I did so much there over the years. But I just want to focus all my free time on one game and Im so glad that this site is up!
19 Nov 2012, 15:45 PM

Doesn´t matter. You are here. And even if GR tryes to put you down, CoH fans just want to be with the expert players, because they are the basic element of community (and, hopefully, they will come here), thus this site is much more simple to navigate, looks better, and you have no-one telling you what you can´t do.
19 Nov 2012, 16:23 PM

Finally we are free from some really annoying nazi moderators..
19 Nov 2012, 16:46 PM
Caster Badge

Now on to new Facist Moderators !
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment