Login

russian armor

2v2 Semois versus Tiger Ace

12 Sep 2014, 05:08 AM

I need to learn to play a bit WRT the Tiger Ace, especially on this map.

I know there's already a thread about the Tiger Ace for 1v1, but I wanted to talk about it for 2v2, specifically, with a soviet ally.

We were winning slightly against a mixed axis team, with about ~60% of the map, maybe a bit less at times.

I recently got the Rifle Commander from warspoils (first non-faceplate item in a long, long time), so I wanted to try out that easy 8 spam I heard people complaining about. Basic plan was tech only to captain, swarms of vetted rifles with bars, and then spam easy 8s. My ally went a shock doctrine with IS2.

- edited to reflect reality -

Good points all, butter fingers. I basically stayed up all night at that point and apparently didn't have a clear grasp of what was going on even in terms of our own forces.

Instead, I think we probably should have kept it at a distance, let it drain their resources, and try to pick off its support - maybe have the easy 8s in one part of the map, and the IS2 in another. TA can only be in one place at a time, after all.

Also, I think that E8 spam is probably not a great idea if you think they're gonna go elite troops. In that case I think one should pick a strat that involves teching to a major and getting a preemptive Jackson. Or, with a soviet ally, should you just ask them to go T4 for SU85?

Am I on the right track here?

edit - if anyone is really interested, here is the replay, well, until a hotfix kills it. :p

If you wanna critique anything else I'm doing, I'd appreciate that as well. :D

Also, I just lost against a Tiger Ace, thus: Tiger Ace OP!!11!!!1!!!

12 Sep 2014, 08:40 AM

I really think in a mixed allies setting, going Airborne with the Soviet going a doctrine with Mark Target (probably Mechanized Support for dat ISU-152) is crucial to win late game tank battles. You can probably not go Airborne, the P-47 certainly helps but isn't 100% essential, but I'd say you need Mark Target against a King Tiger or Tiger Ace.

I'll give the replay a look though.

Edit:

OK watched the replay.

First thing, you could have won the game by minute 5. You took way too long to tech. A fast M-20 would have essentially swept the Axis from the field. There was only 1 Gren for fausting, no PaK until 8 minutes, and the first OKW vehicle was an IR halftrack(idk wtf was up with that).

Should have just sieged their trucks on the land bridge with AT guns since you went Captain

Holy shit 7 Rifles+Captain and an Ambulance was all you had 20 minutes in. 7 rifles is too many.

Your tank control was poor. Right as the Tiger Ace was called in you lost 2 E8s. If you had 3 E8s and your ally had an IS-2 (on that note, your ally should have stopped making T-34s and gotten an IS-2)you would have been fine.

I stopped watching when the OKW player got a Panther as it was over at that point.
12 Sep 2014, 15:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback, butterfingers. If it's any use, I'm currently rank 1384 with random US 2v2.

First thing, you could have won the game by minute 5. You took way too long to tech. A fast M-20 would have essentially swept the Axis from the field. There was only 1 Gren for fausting, no PaK until 8 minutes, and the first OKW vehicle was an IR halftrack(idk wtf was up with that).

Noted. M20 is a unit I tend to neglect; I'll try using it more.

Should have just sieged their trucks on the land bridge with AT guns since you went Captain

I've tried such tactics once before by using attack ground and the shells kept hitting the ground before the truck over and over, and after that I just list interest in doing that, but I should try again, maybe there WAS an elevation issue, I just wasn't seeing it.

Holy shit 7 Rifles+Captain and an Ambulance was all you had 20 minutes in. 7 rifles is too many.

:P This was my first Rifle Company game, and I heard someone complain once that as Rifle Company, you can just spam vetted rifles and then spam easy 8s without almost no teching, and I was curious what would happen. Noted, though. I think I do make too many rifles in general.

Your tank control was poor. Right as the Tiger Ace was called in you lost 2 E8s. If you had 3 E8s and your ally had an IS-2 (on that note, your ally should have stopped making T-34s and gotten an IS-2)you would have been fine.

Yeah, I was doing a bad job controlling the E8s, and I also overestimated their ability to take on the Tiger Ace, I think.

12 Sep 2014, 21:02 PM

Noted. M20 is a unit I tend to neglect; I'll try using it more.

M20 is boss. Also your only source of mines (basically Teller mines, might actually do more damage than Tellers now since Tellers were changed)

I've tried such tactics once before by using attack ground and the shells kept hitting the ground before the truck over and over, and after that I just list interest in doing that, but I should try again, maybe there WAS an elevation issue, I just wasn't seeing it.

AT gun siege works much better with line of sight, which you had since your infantry were slaughtering theirs at the trucks for most of the midgame.

:P This was my first Rifle Company game, and I heard someone complain once that as Rifle Company, you can just spam vetted rifles and then spam easy 8s without almost no teching, and I was curious what would happen. Noted, though. I think I do make too many rifles in general.

If you're going to use Rifle Company and are going to not tech to Major, I think 2 rifles->vet rifle->Lieutenant->M20->another vet rifle->Captain is a good pick. This gives you access to all of your support weapons, 6 combat infantry (4 rifles, LT, CPT), and an early (5 minutes or so) Light vehicle. Then you can commence the E8 spam.

Yeah, I was doing a bad job controlling the E8s, and I also overestimated their ability to take on the Tiger Ace, I think.

3 E8 should be able to at least make a Tiger Ace think twice about messing with you, especially if you have an AT gun or two. Remember that E8 may be durable by American standards, but they are only slightly more durable than a vet 2 P4. They are still Medium tanks, you have to baby sit them a bit.
16 Sep 2014, 20:43 PM

Veto that map, that's the worst for allies. Avoid it under any conditions. If you somehow fight on that map spam mines from infantry company like no tomorrow and use M7Bs. Let your soviet partner handle the Is-2, Kv-1s ore ISU-152s.
16 Sep 2014, 21:23 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Respect to Lucas Troy for posting the correct way. :) He has laid out his stall -and hopefully, the feedback will assist him. But above all, it has kept the thread on track.

If you post on Balance, please try to follow this example.
16 Sep 2014, 21:39 PM

LcuasTroy confirmed to be new role model of the community MVDane
16 Sep 2014, 21:46 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Lucas Troy has nothing to do with MV.... AFAIK
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L