Login

russian armor

The buffed Assault Engineers

13 Sep 2014, 05:41 AM

...I held off AE spam with a single Pio and an MG42...

If they're giving you trouble, try taking them out with some Assgrens in a 251 MVGame
13 Sep 2014, 15:05 PM

Permanently Banned
Overbuffed unit for an underpowered faction.

Classic Relic
13 Sep 2014, 15:10 PM

Permanently Banned
Overbuffed unit for an underpowered faction.

Classic Relic

They seem to do more than fine with top player..maybe its just you?
13 Sep 2014, 15:18 PM

Permanently Banned

They seem to do more than fine with top player..maybe its just you?

I'm not arguing that Assault Engineers are good.

I'm arguing that USF is a terribly disappointingly designed faction and the recent patch hasn't helped them at all in the overall scheme of things.

Giving a faction that has great early game but complete dogshit late game MORE STUFF to make their early game better doesn't solve their fundamental problems whatsoever.
13 Sep 2014, 18:10 PM

I'm arguing that USF is a terribly disappointingly designed faction and the recent patch hasn't helped them at all in the overall scheme of things.

Giving a faction that has great early game but complete dogshit late game MORE STUFF to make their early game better doesn't solve their fundamental problems whatsoever.

I agree that the balance should be focused on the whole game not slanted to one side or the other.
One of the problems with elite rifles was vetted infantry on top of a great offmap and then the way too good for their price EZ8's.

Here we had a situation that had a very strong early mid and late game, So much so that axis had a very hard time dealing with it and had to stick to pretty much tiger based docs.

In this situation we have something that tip's the balance even more into the early game favor of USF.
But people shouldn't be asking for nerfs on this unit rather why dose the direct axis counterparts that cost the same suck so bad.

(Note the same argument can be made for scripts why do they suck so bad for equivalent cost?)

13 Sep 2014, 18:13 PM

How do you guys feel about the new Assault Engies? after looking at the patch changes i went a tried
them for around 12 games, And i feel like they act like Shocks-lite.

For a very cheap cost (280) you get a unit that when used properly just absolutely wrecks things in close quarters combat.

I personally tried several games were i used them as main infantry and it worked out for me quite
well, I would build them straight to LT and rush flak-traks its been devastating.

In contrast when compared to Assault Grens, I feel like Ass Grens were left in the dust.
All this on a unit that repairs, Lays mines, Builds defenses, And has a flamethrower upgrade.

Ive also noticed that their flamethrower blows up at a very frequent rate, Not sure if this is intended but you sneeze at it and it blows up. Much faster then flame pio.
(could be consistent bad rng on my part)

With all that said how do you guys feel about them?

The only circumstances i find them stronger is when they should something close that is in cover or in buildings. Else, i find this version better as it wont snipe retreating unit like before.

Thanks.
14 Sep 2014, 00:15 AM

Permanently Banned
I see these spammed every game now :(
14 Sep 2014, 00:42 AM

Maybe the plan is to make USF early game so good that all Axis surrender at 5 minute mark?
14 Sep 2014, 13:04 PM

Maybe the plan is to make USF early game so good that all Axis surrender at 5 minute mark?

It's not quite that bad but the unit should defiantly be looked at
14 Sep 2014, 14:51 PM

This is the HUGE problem with asymmetric -balance-over-time. In order to make up for an intended weak lategame you have to give a strong early game. O course that means that if the balance is truly asymmetric and lategames are ROFLstomps then early games would be ROFLstomps. But then only good early (or great) players get to the lategame.

To balance infantry or AT guns vs tanks is one thing and probably doable (see COH11 US), cheaper medium tanks vs Heavies is much trickier but also doable. To balance over time IS NOT doable unless the asymmetries are very small. In this design they aren't. US will struggle late game except in the hands of the very best players who have either good strategic sense and great micro or great strategic sense and good micro. And that is against players just competent enough to make it to mid-late game.
15 Sep 2014, 12:09 PM

I don't think the issue with Assault Engineers is their stats or price, it's that they are easily spammable. Thus allowing them to reach critical mass very early in the match, it's a momentum issue.

They are a glass cannon 4 man squad, extremely fragile and they have to close-in to do a lot of damage. Once singled out and focused fired they drop like flies.

Therefore, instead of increasing their manpower cost I suggest doubling or tripling their call-in cooldown!

That would be a fair in my opinion, it gives USF an alternative opening to riflemen. I think this way Assault Engineers will remain a viable unit throughout the whole game that complements your army instead of being it's backbone.

If Relic just increases the price to 300-320 manpower most people won't use them that much as they will MP bleed them, if overnerfed they are cast into oblivion and we won't see them ever again like it was the case before 9th Sept patch. Overnerf and overbuff, that's Relic logic and I don't like it. Every single unit should be good and viable in this game, and every time there's a good unit, people call for nerfs.

Just increase the call-in cooldown, they won't be easily spammable anymore. This will allow Ostheer to get up the right counters and not get swarmed by the AE blob. That's my main gripe vs the AE blob, that they reach critical mass (3-4 squads) by the 3-4 min mark when I only have 2 grens, 1 Pio and 1 MG42 and can't repel them because they flank and swarm me. Ost has the right counters we just need a little more the time to get them and even out the early game engagements. Soviets deal with Assault Grenadier spam by going for a M3 scout cars opening which the Ost don't get until T2.

Regarding Assault Grenadiers, they need a moderate durability buff to be competitive against Assault Engineers.
Only Relic postRelic 15 Sep 2014, 18:49 PM
15 Sep 2014, 18:54 PM

Updates for September 15th, 2014

Balance Changes

Assault Engineers

Damage from 5 to 4
Near accuracy from 0.63 to 0.55

Katyusha

Resolved an issue which allowed users to fire an infinite barrage

15 Sep 2014, 18:55 PM

It's nice to see quick fix like these.
15 Sep 2014, 18:56 PM
Donator 22

thx a lot :)
15 Sep 2014, 20:24 PM

Well now time to go play some more with USF to see if it was enough.
20% damage nerf will be interesting to see how it effects combat.

By the way great job relic, Fast and not huge number swings. Baby steps is how balance is achieved!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★