Login

russian armor

good reading material

9 Sep 2014, 12:01 PM

there´s a lot of free books and research on history / military , its just a matter of seeking

here´s a good one - http://www.ebook3000.com/German-Infantryman-vs-Soviet-Rifleman--Barbarossa-1941--Osprey-Combat-7-_231448.html

another one on the soviet army operations and tactics - http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-1.pdf ,
9 Sep 2014, 14:06 PM

I have a copy of the latter. It's more tailored to the Cold War, but the doctrine of the post war army was born in WW2.

Great military organization and tactics books (some online) that I have read in the past and learned a lot from:

-Soviet Operational Art: In pursuit of Deep battle.

-Soviet Defensive Tactics at Kursk

-Panzer tactics: German small-unit Armor Tactics in WW2

-Standing Fast: German Defensive doctrine on the Russian front

-Red Army Tank Commanders: The Armored Guards (Particularly recommended: Goes into the thinking and leadership of the top 6 Red Army Tank Army commanders)

-Artem Drabkin's website and collection of interviews in : T-34 in action, Panzer Killers.

-Dunn's books: Hitler's Nemesis: The Red Army

-Death of the Leaping Horseman: The 24th Panzer Division (Particularly recommended: Unparallelled book to understand 'blitzkrieg' and the operations of the most important panzer division in 1942)

-Organization series: Stumbling Colossus and Colossus Reborn (Particularly recommended and among the most useful reads)

-Stopped at Stalingrad: The Luftwaffe (Particularly recommended, not only a great campaign history but also useful to understand Air- Ground coordination of combat operations)
23 Dec 2014, 23:38 PM

25 Dec 2014, 09:34 AM

There is also another great book called Mein Kampf, very enlightening.
Just kiddin', great thread. I am very interested in weapons and Army field manuals. Is there any way to find a copy or even a scanned version? That would be great.
25 Dec 2014, 09:45 AM
Patrion 28

is it by Charlie Chaplin by any chance?
29 Dec 2014, 03:40 AM

Hitler’s Table Talk 1941-1944

Summary :

On Martin Bormann’s instructions, the secret conversations at Hitler’s headquarters from July 1941 to November 1944 were all recorded .

Link - http://www.ebook3000.com/Hitler_s-Table-Talk-1941-1944_4711.html

Personal Opinion :

It gives a lot of information on serious and also trivial matters of him , his associates and his trusted henchmen . All this conversations are when germany still held good ground in the war . Nothing about the colapse of Germany . And would be more interesting too read .

Brief Passage :

The difficulty of the situation is not so much the winter in
itself, but the fact of having men, and not knowing how to
transport them; of disposing abundantly of ammunition, and
not knowing how to get it on the move; of possessing all the
necessary weapons, and not knowing how to put them in the
hands of the combatants. As for the railways, I'm keeping
them behind. If they don't do better next time, I'll have a word
to say to them!

pag. 225 - The russian Winter

P. S. - can any of the moderators change this topic to the scrapyard ? thx in advance .
29 Dec 2014, 03:55 AM

Vittoria 1813: Wellington Sweeps the French from Spain (Campaign 59)

Link - http://www.ebook3000.com/Vittoria-1813--Wellington-Sweeps-the-French-from-Spain--Campaign-59-_176525.html
29 Dec 2014, 13:28 PM

Stalins General, The life of General Zhukov - Geoffrey Roberts 2012.

The Stalingrad Protocols - Jochen Hellbeck 2012.

Hitler's Wehrmacht: German Armed Forces in Support of the Fuhrer, James Steiner 2013.

And then there is a couple that to my knowledge are only availible in Swedish that are quite interesting. (And of course many many more that I don't remember right now. Beevors book on Grossman is really good for Beevor.)

I can recommend for my swedish friends, Lennart Samuelssons great case study "Tankograd: Den ryska hemmafrontens dolda historia". Freely translated "Tankograd: The hidden history of the Russian Home Front."
Great case-study of the development of Cheylabinsk from being a small trading town to one of the biggest producers of AFVs during the war. Economic issues, repression, fast development and a good study on how the USSR went from civil war in peasant country to industrial heavy weight in just 20 years.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★