Login

russian armor

Considering pre purchase, need to know some things first

15 Apr 2013, 02:24 AM

Publishers choose whether developers patch in game exploits/glitches?

Are you sure? Ive seen some things to the contrary. Thought they chose when to go live, who to advertise through etc.

I havnt played a total war since midevil, which i loved, but played offline years ago. I really did love that game. Templars for the win.

I never heard of universe at war I will have to check it out. But just for clarifications sake, I thought it was teh ones that made them game that then wrote the code to fix the mistakes that had missed when they initially created it. Can anyone second this, or add their 2 cents?
15 Apr 2013, 02:27 AM

Ya even in the bugs section it says, relic, spot teh bugs so relic can squash them. Relic, wereent they involved in CoH, Coho? Both with long standing unfixed exploits and glitches which have persisted to this day?

Good thing I am asking these questions before I decide to give money to that same company.
15 Apr 2013, 02:40 AM
Honorary Member Badge

they did patch the game quite a bit (for 6+ years) I'm not sure the huge problem if every bug isn't fixed unless your anal about that sorta thing i suppose. games have never ever been perfect on release ever even in console games. (before the updating game became a thing.)

IMO relic has more than supported the game up to level of satisfaction and higher. there still supporting COH. Did you only play for 5 minutes at release then not touch it for 6 years or what? (I'm not even trying to insult just trying to figure out where your coming from (angle).) because they are still supporting coh1 they transferred the game to steam just recently. due to the servers dropping them.

also as far as publishers go who do you think pays the developers all the money to develop the game (making,patching,adding on, and whatever else.)

15 Apr 2013, 02:41 AM

Shit man, if you hate relic so damn much just don't buy it.

I will say that they have supported it far longer than most other developers would and with 2.602 the only unresolved issue was staghound mg bug. Plus keeping the servers alive with steam was great.

I think they have pretty solid support.
15 Apr 2013, 02:51 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Ya even in the bugs section it says, relic, spot teh bugs so relic can squash them. Relic, wereent they involved in CoH, Coho? Both with long standing unfixed exploits and glitches which have persisted to this day?

Good thing I am asking these questions before I decide to give money to that same company.

I don't think you understand how video games are made. Relic doesn't sit around all day making a list of stuff to do. It's not like when they find a bug they go "oh well fuck the players they can just deal with it, we'd rather just eat poutine." To fix a bug, you need to get a programmer to work on the game. And to get a programmer to work on the game, you need to pay the programmer. And to pay the programmer, you need money. And to get money, you need to ask the publisher.

Sometimes developers eat the cost of paying for bugfixes themselves, but it's expensive and not easy and it cuts deep into their profits which are probably already pretty low because RTS games are a niche genre and nobody buys these things. Plus, they usually have a lot of bugs, because, well, Relic.
15 Apr 2013, 03:18 AM

Let me give you three examples.

1. Having your base rushed by churchhills moving while hulled down.
2. Having your stats wrecked by someone using a trainer, and after showing them via a replay, they dont fix your stats. (player did get banned though)
3. In a sub-mode PK, glitching teh infantry operated by AI so you can control them, to cap/attack, which basically ruined that whole sub game mode. You can still do this today, and theyve been told about it 1000x over.

Now you tell me,is that "support" to your satisfaction? Not saying I hate relic, despite what they did to the dawn of war series :( , but if you all have forgottenabout just how little they care about fixing broken things, and just throw more money at them absent some affirmative statement this behavior wont be repeated, then youll get the exact same again.

Was it moral to create coho, with the same drop hacking exploits coh had, when they never fixed it in coh, and charge more money from players, after not fixing what those same players had already paid for in coh?

PS I did play for more than 5 minutes. Played a long 4v4 yesterday. Was aot of fun for abot an hour, we were finaly turning teh tide in our favor, and we got drop hacked. My pals said screw this game and wouldnt play another, so I went and played something else with them. I dont blame their frustration, but dont turn a blind eye to all this, and pretend it is not true.

So what is their position on bugs, glitches, patches, support, exploits, etc?
15 Apr 2013, 04:06 AM
Senior Caster Badge

What kind of answer do you want? Relic's position on bugs is that they want to fix them but bugs aren't magically fixed by themselves, they're fixed by people who get paid expensive Canadian salaries and the money for that comes from the publisher, and if the publisher says "we are not going to pay you to fix bugs" then you have no choice unless you are rolling in money.

CoH: O was probably the only reason we got patches for CoH for as long as we did. And look at how SEGA + Relic paid lots of good money to port CoH over to Steam so it wouldn't die when the servers shut down. If this were an EA game CoH would've been shut down 2 years ago or at least DEFINITELY shut down when the sequel came out.

Nobody will ever accuse me of being a Relic fanboy (I think they've fucked more things up in CoH 2 than I would've ever thought possible) but I like to think I only criticize them for things they deserve criticism for. You're just asking them to magically fix bugs by pulling money out of their ass. That's not how game development works. CoH/OF/ToV (and DoW II) have gotten more patches than most RTS games ever get.
15 Apr 2013, 04:33 AM

And yet are still broken to date. That glitching thing, they never even tried to fix it, it ruined an entire mode. That mode, was part of the package they marketed.

Sounds like the answer to the "will this be a repeat of their failure to address known bugs/exploits like they did in the previous coh game?" question is, "probably".

Shame, but I am glad I asked before I bought it. 59.99 for a product with no reasonable expectation to have properly patched, which they will probably leave full of glitches perpetually?

Not looking good. Fortunately other pvp rts's, such as the new starcraft, have taken proactive steps towards addressing such behavior. I dont like star craft, and was hoping for a ww2 based rts which is administered like starcraft, but i guess my hopes were too high.

have they even ever given an official response to how they plan to address drop hacking/exploits? Or is everyone pretending it has jsut been forgotten about. Dont tell me you never ran into it, if you played coh for more than 5 minutes, you have seen it first hand.
15 Apr 2013, 04:36 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Wow, you are incredibly dense. I'm telling you over and over again that it's the publisher's call whether Relic gets the money to fix bugs, not Relic's call, and I've told you that the old publisher, THQ, is no longer in charge (and in fact IT NO LONGER EXISTS) and that SEGA is the new publisher so SEGA might be very happy to pay Relic to fix all the bugs. But you just keep pretending that Relic is going to act exactly like it did for CoH when in reality we have no idea and in fact Relic might not know either because this stuff often depends on game sales.
15 Apr 2013, 04:42 AM
Benefactor 115

why ask for advice when you have already made up your mind about it?

just an FYI there were a few maphackers present at the blizzard invitational.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=342704

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=397705

and also GM league is rife with hackers

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=340614

cheating is an issue you have to put up with in any game you play online unfortunately.
15 Apr 2013, 05:58 AM

Not teh ones with server side calculations. Let me give you two examples, wot, mwo. Theyre not RTS's, but, they are hack free.

As for the dev thing, I find it hard to believe that the publisher has sole control over bug fixes. Didnt they make money off sales as well. They made it, and made money off of it, but cant reinvest some of that capital in fixing it correctly?

Coho should have been server side calulations, and they should let you reconnect if you get disco'd by a drop hacker. I wish that hadnt failed I loved spamming tiger 1s, you couldnt in coh.

Also when my stats got fubar'd by the trainer user (howd he ever get that anyways, is that the publisher's fault too??), they didnt need to spend money to fix it, just change some server data relating ot my account, but, they never did.
15 Apr 2013, 06:12 AM
Senior Caster Badge

MWO has hacks. World of Tanks has hacks.

But whatever. You're asking questions nobody but Relic and SEGA know the answer to, and even Relic and SEGA might not know - if either Relic or SEGA wants to spend money fixing bugs that might depend on how much money they earn from CoH 2.

There's one thing I can tell you, though: more sales = more bugs fixed, and if you preorder, that's one more sale...
15 Apr 2013, 06:14 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Not teh ones with server side calculations. Let me give you two examples, wot, mwo. Theyre not RTS's, but, they are hack free.

You mean World of Tanks right? if so click here

If you mean mechwarrior online click here

Heres is why you can't make anything hack proof click here basically if its connected to the inter-webs it can't be hack proof.

Also why did you open this topic its not like you were going to listen to anyone else you just wanted someone to re afirm what you already thought or you were gonna ignore them anyways...

and now for my obligatory face-palms

edit: i was ninja'd ah well.

15 Apr 2013, 10:10 AM

As for the dev thing, I find it hard to believe that the publisher has sole control over bug fixes. Didnt they make money off sales as well. They made it, and made money off of it, but cant reinvest some of that capital in fixing it correctly?

Coho should have been server side calulations, and they should let you reconnect if you get disco'd by a drop hacker. I wish that hadnt failed I loved spamming tiger 1s, you couldnt in coh.

Also when my stats got fubar'd by the trainer user (howd he ever get that anyways, is that the publisher's fault too??), they didnt need to spend money to fix it, just change some server data relating ot my account, but, they never did.

get fucking over the fact that someone spoiled your streak or stats , its not the end of the fucking world and if relic had to deal with each such case they would never produce anonther game also when did that happened cause if it happened after 5 years of the game being active then you r lucky to playing the game at all , other than that i d recomend you hold for about 6-7 months post release and asess the situation if you deem they are giving the game the attention you want them to then buy it and yes publisher decides about patching the game , if the boys in suits say no then no it is .
15 Apr 2013, 11:59 AM

Those hack sites are not real. Good way to get ripped off though, I wouldnt trust things like that.
15 Apr 2013, 12:01 PM
Benefactor 115

15 Apr 2013, 12:06 PM

Don't pre-order and wait to see if the game is good, then buy it if it is, ignore it if it isn't? I think that's what every intelligent person should do anyway, pre-ordering is just a mess for titles you aren't absolutely sure about.

Edit: That said, reading these posts, it's clear that "intelligent person" doesn't apply to everyone in this thread.
30 Apr 2013, 23:39 PM

Shame, but I am glad I asked before I bought it. 59.99 for a product with no reasonable expectation to have properly patched, which they will probably leave full of glitches perpetually?

Mate, that's cheap as chips.Pre-Order in Australia was $120.00.

The thing that made vCoh great was the community. It was on GR.org back then, but it was still great. At the time, i was a lvl 10 Ami player - not bad, but not good either. Despite this, i was still able to talk strategy and even play a game against some of the pro players - Zer0crack, SaynotoStim, etc, and they all helped me with my game. Don't think you'd get anything like that in SC2.

Additionally, the history side of things is very intruiging. vCoh allowed you to play through Caen, Carentan, the D-Day landings. etc etc, and even the German and British camppaings later on. These 2 things will still be prevalent in COH2. Why not just wait and see how it goes? $60 is not much mate. You could always come to Aus and spend double that?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★