Login

russian armor

Where's all the personality?

16 Apr 2013, 07:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2013, 06:57 AMRaz

And then you get to play against germans with germans... Well that's an odd option when you advertise realism.

I wonder if anyone plays mirror games in beta now. It's only a possibility.
16 Apr 2013, 09:39 AM

So I played the game yesterday and I must say it was better than any expectations I had, although these were very low.

Coh 2 is a different game, there is no doubt about it. There is no way you can compare it with Coh 1. It looks more like Men of War if anything. Yes it definitely lost it's own character. (Maybe even just the player colors have to do with it. Red and blue feels so much more like 'toys'.)

Coh 1 had great voice acting, arcade feel of toying with units, the factions (US and Wehr) were so perfect matched for each other.

Coh 2 is more spammy, less intelligent when it comes to the (worse) resource system, still a very bad Hud interface, buildings almost have no reason of being there, bulletins will probably cost tons of time / money.

Despite that, it didn't feel THAT bad when playing the game. There are good gameplay elements and the game feels dynamic when it comes to flanking manouvres and back and forth skirmishing. I just hope they still tweak the UI here and there (especially how you read your resources is so annoying.)

Balance wise ofc I can't say anything, just yet, but there is time to fix. And it's not terrible from my first impressions.

16 Apr 2013, 20:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2013, 09:39 AM12ocky

.....Despite that, it didn't feel THAT bad when playing the game. There are good gameplay elements and the game feels dynamic when it comes to flanking manouvres and back and forth skirmishing. I just hope they still tweak the UI here and there (especially how you read your resources is so annoying.)

Balance wise ofc I can't say anything, just yet, but there is time to fix. And it's not terrible from my first impressions.

Coming from you 12ocky, I'd say you raised my level of hope by one notch.
18 Apr 2013, 18:15 PM
Benefactor 115

"Shove a grenade up their shoppa" - Shock Troops

I don't know what they mean by a shoppa but I can guess they mean ass?
18 Apr 2013, 18:23 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

This is a rougher, grittier Company of Heroes. I don't think it's lacking in character. The art design, models, and terrains give it quite a rough and tumble feel. I would give it more of a chance and not be so quick to judge.

Also, have a quick look at the Tutorials. They set a nice audio/visual atmosphere. I have high hopes for the campaign.
18 Apr 2013, 18:50 PM

Honestly I'd take gameplay over 'grit'. CoH still managed to nail the whole Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan vibe without having the troops go nuts and start shooting each other from PTSD every 5 minutes.
19 Apr 2013, 00:41 AM

Realistic my ass. Realism is boring like Men of War. CoH is arcade and fun, a WW2 caricature.
19 Apr 2013, 01:30 AM

Men of War has realistic mechanics, not a realistic atmosphere (at all). I like the game, but MoW is highly stylized (in some cases, not intended): The colors, animations and voices are downright taken from a Teletubbies episode.

Soooo saturated!

Everyone has their taste though, and it is to be respected.

What's ironic is that lately, games that used to have grittier/realistic artistic approaches such as Diablo, Starcraft, Simcity, Bioshock: Infinite, etc., have gotten flak for becoming stylized or oversaturated...

Now we have a game set in World War II, where a vast majority of enthusiasts of the setting like their realistic atmosphere and look, is getting opinions in the opposite direction :p
19 Apr 2013, 03:08 AM
Senior Caster Badge

CombatMuffin I'm not sure if you realize this but World War II wasn't actually desaturated and lacking in color like Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers. World War II actually took place in real life where bushes actually are green.
19 Apr 2013, 03:25 AM

CombatMuffin I'm not sure if you realize this but World War II wasn't actually desaturated and lacking in color like Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers. World War II actually took place in real life where bushes actually are green.

Oh, I know the sepia tones are an artistic choice, but those choices are meant to convey a certain atmosphere and vision. Men of War is pretty damn saturated, particularly in the ultra blue night missions (Real night environments are anything but blue, again, an artistic tool to convey a cool color temperature).

19 Apr 2013, 11:03 AM

voices

Let's cram!

Seriously though, Faces of War and Men of War always seemed a bit cartoony to me for all the reasons you mentioned+the music. Fun game and concept, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. :p
19 Apr 2013, 14:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2013, 09:39 AM12ocky
So I played the game yesterday and I must say it was better than any expectations I had, although these were very low.

Coh 2 is a different game, there is no doubt about it. There is no way you can compare it with Coh 1. It looks more like Men of War if anything. Yes it definitely lost it's own character. (Maybe even just the player colors have to do with it. Red and blue feels so much more like 'toys'.)

Coh 1 had great voice acting, arcade feel of toying with units, the factions (US and Wehr) were so perfect matched for each other.

Coh 2 is more spammy, less intelligent when it comes to the (worse) resource system, still a very bad Hud interface, buildings almost have no reason of being there, bulletins will probably cost tons of time / money.

Despite that, it didn't feel THAT bad when playing the game. There are good gameplay elements and the game feels dynamic when it comes to flanking manouvres and back and forth skirmishing. I just hope they still tweak the UI here and there (especially how you read your resources is so annoying.)

y summarized my opinion , i d say though that if they tweak the resource and population system a bit towards vcoh and fix that UI we ll have ourselves a game which will be possibly even better than vcoh .

Also MOW is boring seriously , i have watched casts which make go back to studying
20 Apr 2013, 08:29 AM

The Engineers in CoH1 had more personality in their voiced line when they finished being built than CoH2 has altogether.

And the visuals are as greyscale and boring as the voice acting.

I mean, fuck, dudes, the production buildings DON'T EVEN HAVE ANIMATIONS WHEN THEIR UNITS ARE BEING BUILT. Not a even a blinking light. Since the units themselves don't even spawn out of the buildings anymore, why the fuck did they even bother to make those sad excuses they call structures that are some holes in the ground with tarps over them?
20 Apr 2013, 15:31 PM

The Engineers in CoH1 had more personality in their voiced line when they finished being built than CoH2 has altogether.

And the visuals are as greyscale and boring as the voice acting.

I mean, fuck, dudes, the production buildings DON'T EVEN HAVE ANIMATIONS WHEN THEIR UNITS ARE BEING BUILT. Not a even a blinking light. Since the units themselves don't even spawn out of the buildings anymore, why the fuck did they even bother to make those sad excuses they call structures that are some holes in the ground with tarps over them?

Agreed. Buildings are so useless now...
20 Apr 2013, 15:51 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Buildings are basically a way to expand your reinforce radius and to give your Engineers/Pioneers something to waste their time on. Other than that this is basically Dawn of War 2 when it comes to base buildings.
20 Apr 2013, 16:33 PM

Which is lame! the attention to detail, especially on the factories, was gorgeous. And so satisfying when the tank depot poops out a fresh new tank!
22 Apr 2013, 19:22 PM

War is arguably the worst experience there is, and in Coh2 Relic immerses us in that very experience.
22 Apr 2013, 19:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2013, 15:31 PMMatanza

Agreed. Buildings are so useless now...

one thing that i think would make buildings much less useless is to make them garrison-able giving them a secondary use for base defense. as of now if the enemy gets in your base you can't do anything about no stalling nothing if you can't fight them off in the next couple of seconds you lose alot of units. atlesat make the hq garsionable and ofc bring back fhq.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★