Login

russian armor

Come backs as double US

3 Sep 2014, 15:59 PM

Suppose as double US you've held on to roughly half of the map up to the 25 minute mark, controlling your own fuel but not the enemy fuel, except for a few moments, and the VPs are slightly in your favor but not significantly.

My understanding of the US is that they have a massive early game advantage, and with equal skill should be able to crush the OKW early game. If you fail to do that for whatever reason, are you kinda boned if there isn't a soviet player on your team to make IS2s or ISUs?
3 Sep 2014, 17:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

It depends how unit preservation has been going on both sides. If the US players have managed to stockpile like six tanks, it's possible to just steamroll everything at around this point.

But, since the title of the thread is "comebacks", I assume that you mean you're already a little behind. In that case, it's very difficult but if you double team one area of the map it can be done.
3 Sep 2014, 21:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Sep 2014, 17:48 PMRomeo
It depends how unit preservation has been going on both sides. If the US players have managed to stockpile like six tanks, it's possible to just steamroll everything at around this point.

But, since the title of the thread is "comebacks", I assume that you mean you're already a little behind. In that case, it's very difficult but if you double team one area of the map it can be done.

I'll keep that in mind. I play random team so that might be a little tricky to arrange, but I'll try that next time.

As the US it can be hard to tell how heavily someone is outplaying you. We had half the map and were pushing them at a moderate pace but having trouble Pfuse trouble. I suspected something was up when I didn't see many OKW vehicles. They were a good team from the same clan and they were fending us off with Pfuze blobs and obers, plus some shreks. Then a Jadgtiger rolled in and stomped all our tanks. Turns out they were doing dramatically better over all, holding the line with limited resources and rushing out the Jtiger.

At least as OKW you know when you're getting stomped early game :D

5 Sep 2014, 07:44 AM
Donator 11

Also in 2v2 RR it is possible to get a great comeback.

I mean the US Forces got a worst late game for real, but many players also underestimate it.

The thing is, that US got no heavies, but several hardcounters as tanks.

I always recommend to get a M36 around minute 10 to 12, even if you havent spotted an enemy tank. So you can avoid to be steamrolled if you got no zookas or teched up the Lui.

To get a comeback as USF you have to play a real good combined forces gameplay with your vetted rifles (try to keep them alive the whole game), Tanks (Shermans to fight back the inf and jacksons as support behind the line), MGs (to delay the axis vet inf.), arty (to keep the axis struggling at the trucks, etc), etc

If, like some players do, you just relay onto Rifles and tanks, you are pretty much fucked the longer the match remains.
6 Sep 2014, 16:56 PM
Patrion 310

From my observation watching top ladder players:
US have a few units that are very good late game with sufficient vet. In general, I think more players need to learn saving vetted armor crews so US can "tranfer/respawn" vet to new armor later in the game. Saving vetted armor crews is one of US biggest advantages. With good micro US can basicly respawn a vet3 jackson that cant be killed because US can just tranfer the old crew to a new tank.

Besides standard rifle builds, US need at least one of this (1vs1 or 2vs2) to win late game:
1. LMG rifle blob or Air lmgs on open maps
2. Good M8A1 Howitzer micro skills (shoot and scoot) combined with AT guns/jacksons/stuart. These builds rely on superior mobile artillery and AT range while you use rifles as meatshield.
These players are currently pretty rare to see because of some other popular builds. But these players are very deadly once they have the right army composition and vet. Using combined arms it can counter almost everything on open maps. Rifles are the meatshield, stuart to stun tanks and provide scouting, AT to snipe tanks from superior range, M8A1 to snipe infantry/support weapons. Imo this could very well become the new meta for top100 ladders players in the coming months. This composition work abit similar to the old Soviet version of Guards/Snipers/SU85 (replaced by ISUs in current meta).
Also my personal favorite strat vs OKW, but it can be hard to keep your M8A1s alive because of the limited range. Keep your M8A1s well protected like a soviet sniper and late game the axis player will rush everything trying to kill it once it reach vet3 with 40-50 kills :P
3. E8s tank openings with BAR/flamer infantry blob on urban maps (always safe build vs ostheer, vs OKW its vulnerable to volks shreak blobs and/or grenades). E8s also work great in 2vs2 if supported by ISUs.

Nr. 1 and 3 are most likely to get a nerf (including a nerf to call in tanks) so I think M8A1s will become alot more popular in coming months used in different army compositions.

Vs Infantry/support weapons
1. M8A1 at vet2 become a beast against all infantry (as long M8A1 has a direct fire line) and much more mobile and higher ROF than a stuka which are primary good against stationary target. Alot of team players complain about the Stukas beeing to powerful but with the same fuel (approx 150 fuel with 66% OKW income) US could have two M8A1s.
With good micro 2xM8A1 can relative easy get over 50 infantry kills total during a close 2vs2 match which imo are more fuel efficient than the Stuka.

M8A1 with the barrage ability also has 75 armor penetration almost same as a Sherman which has 80 (long range). Personally I have used it even to kill Ostwinds and Stugs in one barrage.
To get vet2 fast, you can tranfer vet from an earlier crew like the M20. Or if you are desperate for good arty put one of your vet3 rifle into it.

Ideally M8A1s should be combined with a Soviet partner such as market target/button/T34-85/mines to protect your flanks against mobile tanks trying to kill your M8A1s. VS OKW, 120mm mortars are vulnerable to Stukas and T34-85 to volks shrek blobs. Against OKW shrek blobs, E8 spam is not a "I win" button so US should invest fuel primary into Jacksons and/or M8A1s to support Soviet T34-85s with mark target are hands down the best medium tank in game. In narrow places T34-85s are very good at crushing even infantry with shreks.

The biggest downside to M8A1 are the limited range so it require good scouting and smoke to get out of trouble quick. As Axis player I can tell you I fear good M8A1 micro much more than the KV8. There are not alot of players with good micro yet so not many complaining M8A1 beeing OP. But used correctly, M8A1 are more powerful than the Stuka that fire so slow and not a big threat to anything except stationary targets.

If Lmg/E8s get nerf, US really need the M8A1's micro skills to win the late game manpower war. If US dont win that everything else just start to fall apart as you wont have enough manpower to keep mapcontrol or invest into AT guns/tanks.
So do yourself a favor, work on your M8A1 micro because soon or later its gonna pay off. I doubt relic gonna nerf M8A1 anytime soon, so lots of time to abuse it ;)
10 Sep 2014, 21:38 PM

id be very interested in replays or videos of USF late game comebacks.

I just never see them, i want to get an idea of what kind of strategies work for late game pushes/comebacks.
11 Sep 2014, 11:02 AM

I haven't really played USF much in team games, but the few games I did play mostly taught me that with double USF, one player should always be Infantry. Always. You need Priests badly, they're the only non-munition reliable thing USF gets against axis heavies as well as axis infantry blobs, and the M1919s are the only thing that let you compete infantry wise in the late game by building cheap Rear Echelons with double LMGs to replace your inevitable rifle squad losses.

It's probably even more important now that the M8A1 is probably a lot more impotent against infantry (haven't seen or made them yet).
11 Sep 2014, 18:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2014, 11:02 AMCruzz
It's probably even more important now that the M8A1 is probably a lot more impotent against infantry (haven't seen or made them yet).

They're ok... but nowhere near the killing machines they once were.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 14

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight