Login

russian armor

Visibility

12 Apr 2013, 15:29 PM

I think at this point it's more a question about necessity. Company of Heroes 2 is going to be released shortly, and so they need to prioritize what they deem most essential. A customizeable UI would be awesome, but it's not required to enjoy the game. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Relic will add a lot of stuff post-release once the pressure has settled.
12 Apr 2013, 16:50 PM

- Cold-tech - many small tweaks to this system. Burning vehicles and buildings will heat squads. Scatter, artillery weapons, off-maps are more restricted during blizzards. Infantry are better in blizzards because we've reduced the slowdown.

:hyper:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?479289-General-Update-2
12 Apr 2013, 21:28 PM

Summary for those without password?
12 Apr 2013, 21:32 PM
Senior Caster Badge

That is the summary. In fact it's the whole thing - that's one of the changes they made to the game recently.
12 Apr 2013, 22:01 PM

Summary for those without password?

Hey Everyone,

Gotta tell you, we're having a blast doing this beta. It's been fun interacting in the forums, and we're having some great discussions every day.

I thought I could touch - briefly - on some of the improvements we've been making in the game. I'll focus mostly on the gameplay, although the UI team is also hard at work. We won't be able to patch this stuff in for this round, but your feedback has proven very valuable and you should see the benefits of the beta feedback in future builds.

AI
- AI takes a while to get together. A whole bunch of new AI levers and controls have been added and tuned. And the AI feels better every day - it selects a good variety of units and uses tactics really well. The current challenge is getting the AI to concentrate on fewer objectives so it offers a good hard-hitting challenge.

Pathing
- We've made dozens of changes to pathing, squad formation tuning, etc. A number of deep-seated latent bugs were dealt with that caused squads to hitch and do odd things.
- Vehicle pathing has a good evacuate system now, meaning vehicles will move out of each other's way more appropriately, squish together less, and generally perform much better. Night and day improvements.
- Infantry move around vehicles in a much more believable way now - less jitter and weird stuff.

Tuning and Systems
- Cold-tech - many small tweaks to this system. Burning vehicles and buildings will heat squads. Scatter, artillery weapons, off-maps are more restricted during blizzards. Infantry are better in blizzards because we've reduced the slowdown.

We're also running on our server now with our first set of features. Again, we'll announce features for launch, post ship etc. at later date.

And lots more...

Just for perspective, we use Perforce for our version control. The changelist numbers when we shipped the beta were in the 260000 range. My last check in today was 284073. That doesn't necessarily mean there have been 24,000 changes but it does speak to the current pace of development.

Some of the team is off to London next week to show off a few different pieces of the game. More multiplayer/skirmish and even some of the campaign levels. Keep your eyes peeled for more previews. We'll also be visiting the Bovington Tank Museum (my second visit in a year). They have King Tigers there. Two different kinds.

Just sayin'.

There probably won't be an update from me next week, but I'll be following the progress from the road.

Best Regards,

Quinn
19 Apr 2013, 17:16 PM

bump, hadn't seen this thread. agree 100%
Joe
22 Apr 2013, 06:54 AM

Since you bumped it for me to see too, I'll throw in my 2cents.

I agree with a lot of Inverse's points with a minor disagreement about how I tend to appreciate some of the realistic lack of information. It makes me feel like I'm fighting a semi-realistic engagement instead of just playing a game. When tanks were ambushed by tank destroyers, they often didn't know where it was coming from. When troops stepped on mines and just exploded, it took them a moment to realize what was happening.

That being said, it is still foremost a game and should do its best to provide immersive feedback to the player. But sometimes the lack of feedback is immersive as well when the fog of war goes both ways.
22 Apr 2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Joe, I think you're right that it can be interesting for a game to hide that information, but the problem is that CoH 2 isn't trying to hide that kind of stuff, since, for instance, the tank destroyer still gets lit up in the fog of war when it fires at you. The problem is that the game is doing a bad job communicating information that it's trying to communicate, not that the game isn't giving us as much information as we want.
22 Apr 2013, 08:29 AM

I get the impression that some of the effects are not finished yet. For example the Guard Rifle's AT rifle doesn't seem to have any particle trail effects at all on my game and the tracer for the sniper is very hard to see. Aside from that, +1 to this
Joe
22 Apr 2013, 09:14 AM

I think the trail effects might be hard to see on purpose.

When you get hit, you notice your getting hit, you might see what direction it came from, you might not. You can see what side your tank took a hit from, then you would go looking for it on your screen and see the revealed tank destroyer. It doesn't draw you a nice clear line exactly to the source on a lot of weapons, it makes you look for it if you don't already know your enemies positions.

The AT rifle shouldn't have any trail effects. Its a rifle, it goes ping when the armor gets shot and makes a little visual effect on the side it came from. Snipers can't magically cloak anymore so there isn't any trail on their rifle either.

Some queues are there, they are just very subtle and hard to see. I admit most things could be improved, but I like the general direction.
22 Apr 2013, 10:50 AM

So last night, I watched the latest Propagandacast featuring COH2. When that finished I moved onto a COH cast from Inukii and wow was the difference obvious. I agree entirely with Inverse's comments concerning visibilty issues. COH2 doesn't seem to have the crispness or brightness found in the previous game. The problem ranges from the minimap, to the UI, to the actual graphical detail.

Watch a COH2 cast and then a COH one in that order to see what I am talking about.
22 Apr 2013, 12:34 PM

I think part of the whole problem is just the business of the screen. The maps aren't as plain, the UI is flashing a million things at you and the effects are more exaggerated.

There are good things about the UI and certain other parts of it unfinished (tactical map) but overall its too busy imo. I do think Sega is quite aware of the UI complaints though so hopefully we'll see an update for that part of it soon.

As far as the other information on screen that is missing, i don't think we'll get much of a change in. I think it goes along with their desire to be more realistic and make the game more "lethal" for units so that preservation is more difficult. Some of it we'll get used to as we play it more, the other we'll just have to toss up to luck of whether or not you happen to be watching the squad that just got a sneaky nade tossed the split second before...
22 Apr 2013, 15:02 PM

What I noticed after playing Beta for a while now is that the vehicle aiming mechanism do not correspond to the true sight system.

Example:

have a tank with a moveable turret chase another tank, while an enemy infantry unit is nearby. The enemy tank will disappear behind something that breaks the LoS, which prompts your tank to automatically turn your very slow moving turret at the other squad. If your tank is moving, there is no way to avoid this (attack ground while stationary would somehow do the trick to some degree). In essence, this makes it very easy to outmaneuver tanks, simply because of poorly implemented gameplay mechanics. There is just no workaround.
22 Apr 2013, 15:20 PM
Senior Caster Badge

What I noticed after playing Beta for a while now is that the vehicle aiming mechanism do not correspond to the true sight system.

Example:

have a tank with a moveable turret chase another tank, while an enemy infantry unit is nearby. The enemy tank will disappear behind something that breaks the LoS, which prompts your tank to automatically turn your very slow moving turret at the other squad. If your tank is moving, there is no way to avoid this (attack ground while stationary would somehow do the trick to some degree). In essence, this makes it very easy to outmaneuver tanks, simply because of poorly implemented gameplay mechanics. There is just no workaround.

Yeah, I'm not sure Relic really thought the whole "how is true sight going to work with our silly tank turret AI" think through. Men of War handles this by letting you manually control the direction of the tank turret. The easiest way I can think of solving this is to have a tank's "attack ground" command persist even through movement commands (it would only cancel when you give it another attack command or a stop command). The ideal solution would be to give tanks an "aim" command that would allow you to retarget the turret in a direction, but that would be hard to figure out because you'd have to get the tank to shoot at stuff in that direction but not far from that direction and then the question is "how far is too far" and so on. There may simply be no solution that Relic ends up implementing.
22 Apr 2013, 15:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure Relic really thought the whole "how is true sight going to work with our silly tank turret AI" think through. Men of War handles this by letting you manually control the direction of the tank turret. The easiest way I can think of solving this is to have a tank's "attack ground" command persist even through movement commands (it would only cancel when you give it another attack command or a stop command). The ideal solution would be to give tanks an "aim" command that would allow you to retarget the turret in a direction, but that would be hard to figure out because you'd have to get the tank to shoot at stuff in that direction but not far from that direction and then the question is "how far is too far" and so on. There may simply be no solution that Relic ends up implementing.

Somehow the solution involves either putting in another hotkey for directly controlling your turret or tweaking true sight. Either way, it's complicating everything to have a workaround for something that just wasn't thought through properly. I kinda feel that there are all these tiny little things that just won't be fixed because of the effort needed.
22 Apr 2013, 15:55 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It wasn't thought through properly, but the problem was also present in Company of Heroes. It just wasn't nearly as bad because it wasn't so easy to lose sight on things.
22 Apr 2013, 16:02 PM

It wasn't thought through properly, but the problem was also present in Company of Heroes. It just wasn't nearly as bad because it wasn't so easy to lose sight on things.

couldn't agree more ;)
22 Apr 2013, 16:04 PM

couldn't agree more ;)

Just add a button that disables/re-enables turret movement.
22 Apr 2013, 16:42 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I proposed that all units, including tanks, have a hold fire button. It would help with this situation, and it would allow a player to prevent wounded tanks from firing at unwanted times (which could reveal their position to long range enemy units, thus getting them dead).
24 Apr 2013, 20:22 PM

I was excited for CoH2 but the formula is set and there's really not going to be a drastic change that can fix the problems.

I'm disappointed in such a great game turning into a nub fest of massing units and charging into each other.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★