Login

russian armor

A.I. in automatch game drops

25 Aug 2014, 04:32 AM
Donator 22

I know I'm gonna come off sounding like a noob, but many players struggle when the A.I. takes over when (several)someone(s) drops.

For good players, I know this is probably a joke...but automatch is designed to match players up with someone who's skills are approximately the same. For newer or less advanced players, the A.I. is almost always better than the players they take over for. In other words, for the one's left facing the A.I. its virtually game over. This is a crappy game mechanic for that part of the player base that needs to the most nurture. If this is not fixed, they will become quickly frustrated and stop playing.

Please...LTP doesn't always help. There needs to be a mechanic that replaces players with A.I. players of approximately the same skill level as the players who drop. At least IMHO.
25 Aug 2014, 04:51 AM

I thought the complaint was that when AI takes over, it screws up and loses all its units and predictably fails.

AI doesnt blob (as much as people do)

AI doesnt really attack tactically

AI doesnt care about unit preservation and veterancy.

25 Aug 2014, 05:01 AM

I think it could both ways hehe
25 Aug 2014, 05:16 AM

[2v2]
I play at a low level, and rarely see a team with a dropped player win, whether my team drops or the opponent team drops.

I'm a novice automatch player but playing with a human ally who also isn't l33t, I can beat the soviet AI on hard or the US AI on expert.

Sometimes people get complacent when they see a drop on the other team. Remember that a team with a bot can still win if the humans on it play well, and if you're already aware of this, remind your allies.

It's not a L2P issue, it is a L2NGCWPAATWADP issue. Learn 2 not get complacent while playing against a team with a dropped player.

Edit - I've done a lot of comp stomps so here are some tips for playing against bots.

1. Bots are vulnerable to weapons that players easily flank. The soviet AI drives T-34 after T-34 right into a PAK43, marches straight into MG42 bunkers, Flak trucks, etc. Use these units more than usual if facing bots. The other AIs make similar mistakes.

2. Maybe this is in my head, but I feel like bots get some sort of resource boost. So when I play against them, I keep this in mind. Sacrificing a tank of yours for a tank of theirs is almost always a bad trade because they will simply build another one. Unit preservation is key. Well, it's always key, but in this case, it's way more important than killing their units so don't over extend.

25 Aug 2014, 05:56 AM

Compstomp a bit before playing automatch.
It shouldn't require much time for you to beat a Hard and better AI, as it is very predictable and doesn't play strategically at all. Also, as the AI always tries to outcap you, it would be a good training for your micro and your ability to spread your units.
25 Aug 2014, 06:36 AM
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 05:56 AMGreeb
Compstomp a bit before playing automatch.
It shouldn't require much time for you to beat a Hard and better AI, as it is very predictable and doesn't play strategically at all. Also, as the AI always tries to outcap you, it would be a good training for your micro and your ability to spread your units.

Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining things. This issue isn't about me. I've beaten expert computer countless times. I've played thousands of hours of this game and the original.

I'm trying to build the player base by getting friends interested. And THEY are the one's who suffered in this game since they haven't learned much yet about how to counter the A.I. and quite frankly it makes them think the game sucks and not come back. This has happened to at least 2 people.
25 Aug 2014, 08:13 AM

What difficulty are the bots replacing dropped players (i mostly play with my friend list and we never had a drop so far)? I found that depending on the maps, sometimes the AI performs rather good, sometimes it seems stuck in some sort of limbo where it just builds blobs 2 screens away from the frontline, and doesn't move them until you attack yourself. But when it does perform good, it looks like the standard AI is on steroids and plays more like a Hard or Expert AI, which could very well be problematic for newer players.
25 Aug 2014, 16:29 PM

I don't know about CoH2 but when we played 3v3 or 4v4 in CoH1 with a wildly mixed skill team, there was only one real problem in that the AI cheats. I'm not talking about the resource bonus or anything because the "hard" AI that replaces players is really too stupid to do much with that.
The problem was that the AI would use pios and other small units combined with its knowledge about player unit positions to sneak through lines and capture cutoff points on non-Scheldt-style maps.
For some players this distraction is a lot worse than just having an increased amount of units thrown directly into their killing zones. I can only guess this is the same "problem" in CoH2.

The answer is to get better at the game but until then, actually having light vehicles (and using them to hunt those infiltrators, US ones can even recapture) instead of just static units and artillery should help. If you are higher skilled than your team mates, picking up their slack in this department should be your job. They probably won't learn much but at least that way they can enjoy the game without being stressed out about sneaky units.
The game simply can't decide if it should replace a player with easy, normal, hard or expert AI. In any case this would probably just create more problem. Hard AIs really aren't that hard to beat. I absolutely believe their game impact can be higher than some players' but that ultimately isn't an AI problem.
25 Aug 2014, 16:35 PM

I think the early game AI is not very good, but if a player drops with a lot of units intact , the AI becomes quite good in handling them. I find the AI in COH2 a lot more better than COH1. As the poster described above, the AI was just very annoying in COH1
25 Aug 2014, 22:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Aug 2014, 06:36 AMMortar

Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining things. This issue isn't about me. I've beaten expert computer countless times. I've played thousands of hours of this game and the original.

I'm trying to build the player base by getting friends interested. And THEY are the one's who suffered in this game since they haven't learned much yet about how to counter the A.I. and quite frankly it makes them think the game sucks and not come back. This has happened to at least 2 people.

Ah, I suspected it was your friends having the issue.

Well, why not coach them first a bit on beating the AI? Those skills will help them in general.

As someone who plays low level automatch, I plead to any Relic devs reading this NOT to make the AI that replaces dropped players any weaker. People drop constantly and a weaker AI would punish people even harder for carrying on a game when their ally drops. There's already very little point in persisting in most cases.

I do NOT want to inevitably loose games when my teammate drops because people can't handle the AI. Along these lines, I also want games where an opponent drops to stay somewhat challenging and not just always result in the rest of their team also dropping.

The game's hard to learn and get good at, no way around that, unfortunately. It's not really aimed at people who would get discouraged so easily.
27 Aug 2014, 06:35 AM

I don't know about CoH2 but when we played 3v3 or 4v4 in CoH1 with a wildly mixed skill team, there was only one real problem in that the AI cheats. I'm not talking about the resource bonus or anything because the "hard" AI that replaces players is really too stupid to do much with that.
The problem was that the AI would use pios and other small units combined with its knowledge about player unit positions to sneak through lines and capture cutoff points on non-Scheldt-style maps.
For some players this distraction is a lot worse than just having an increased amount of units thrown directly into their killing zones. I can only guess this is the same "problem" in CoH2.

The answer is to get better at the game but until then, actually having light vehicles (and using them to hunt those infiltrators, US ones can even recapture) instead of just static units and artillery should help. If you are higher skilled than your team mates, picking up their slack in this department should be your job. They probably won't learn much but at least that way they can enjoy the game without being stressed out about sneaky units.
The game simply can't decide if it should replace a player with easy, normal, hard or expert AI. In any case this would probably just create more problem. Hard AIs really aren't that hard to beat. I absolutely believe their game impact can be higher than some players' but that ultimately isn't an AI problem.

i dont think sneaking behind enemy lines is really a "cheating" thing, its very easy to do by pure accident. Just stroll anywhere away from the heavy fighting.

The main difference is that most players play with a trench warfare mentality. they want to dig in, set up defenses and maintain the land they get. then use arty to soften up the enemy and push up with whatever tanks they can build and push the line foward.

The ai plays more neutrally, it doesnt dig in, its forever in "skirmish" mode where it just wants to poke at the enemy and distract them, run off and cap a point somewhere else. It sends out small units all over the map, and some of them are going to find the holes in your line. Bassically its playing 1v1. Unforuntately 1v1 tactics dont always work well in 4v4.
27 Aug 2014, 09:47 AM

I've got mixed experiences and opinion of AI. If a player drops straight away as the game loads, the AI usually sucks for whatever reason. If the player drops half way through the game, the AI is usually fairly good. I've also noticed, that the higher the level of the person who dropped, the better AI is.

One thing a lot of people don't know or do, is use the "attack here" flare to control the AI. Flare an area on the map and AI will start sending units there to cap. It worked in vCOH and it still works now. Most of the time continuous flaring of a VP will result in the AI spamming it's army at it until it's caught, or atleast to keep it de-capped from the enemy.
27 Aug 2014, 14:08 PM

I've got mixed experiences and opinion of AI. If a player drops straight away as the game loads, the AI usually sucks for whatever reason. If the player drops half way through the game, the AI is usually fairly good. I've also noticed, that the higher the level of the person who dropped, the better AI is.

One thing a lot of people don't know or do, is use the "attack here" flare to control the AI. Flare an area on the map and AI will start sending units there to cap. It worked in vCOH and it still works now. Most of the time continuous flaring of a VP will result in the AI spamming it's army at it until it's caught, or atleast to keep it de-capped from the enemy.

really? holy smokes ti will have to try that.

I also agree about the ability of the ai at different points of the game. It is easy to roll over the ai right a the beginning, but the longer the game runs/accumulation of units, the better the ai seems at managing those units
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★