Login

russian armor

How to beat soviets?

6 Aug 2014, 17:05 PM

I feel like they have a counter for everything I can do. Same when I play OKW but not quite as bad. Even if you get the upperhand in a game they can always come back from some cheese like guards button vs PzIV or whatever. I don't think I've won vs (a good) Soviet player in 5-10 games.

I have a lot of trouble knowing what they will do and/or how to counter it. I have never been able to stop shock troops once 3-4 hit the field. They just blob them and facerape any push you try to make. Even something like 222 will get easily countered usually just due to bad pathfinding + conscript AT nade or mines spam (more of that later). Plus it goes down pretty easily to small arms fire. They have so many viable strats like guards + conscripts spam, t1->t2->t34, shocks -> stalling doctrinal tanks, 2-3 clown cars -> shock troops etc.

I'm really at a loss for what to do. If I try and play somewhat defensive with MGs, mortar(s), Pak etc Katyusha and incendiary barrage will have a field day plus shock troops + smoke countering MGs easily. Attacking is useless since conscripts and shock troops will roll over my grens (even with LMGs) with ease. I have to say usually I don't find their vehicles/tanks too much of a problem apart from katyusha but their inf play is always getting me so bad. One other thing is mines, they can spam heaps of mines for 30 munit which is hard to counter since you need to spend 60-90 valuable munit on minesweepers and babysitting them to check everywhere. Meanwhile OH doesn't even have one normal mine.

Everything they do seems so easily to counter what I do yet it seems so hard to counter what they are countering my stuff with if that makes sense. Like if it's still mid game how am I supposed to counter that katyusha on his side of the map (when I'm playing more defensive)? Something like recon + stuka is good but then you need to float 240 munit (yeah right) and that's only a couple of doctrines. Plus that's such a specific thing for one counter anyway...

My usual BO is something like Gren-Gren-MG-MG/Gren then it will all change depending on what the soviet is doing. I.e. if 2-3 clown cars I will go T2 for schreks/pak. Faust isn't reliable enough counter. Also depends on the map too. Road to Kharkov for example I usually get more grens but semois I will get maybe 1-2 more MGs.

Any tips/help? Thanks.
6 Aug 2014, 17:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I suggest playing as soviets for a while. That's the best way to experience their vulnerabilities.
6 Aug 2014, 17:19 PM

I suggest what Romeo suggests + use filters on this forum because there are tons and tons of topics on how to beat xyz...
7 Aug 2014, 06:42 AM

Any other tips? Admittedly I haven't played Soviets much because I prefer Wehr so I don't see how muh good it will do if I'm not a good soviet player.
7 Aug 2014, 06:57 AM

Any other tips? Admittedly I haven't played Soviets much because I prefer Wehr so I don't see how muh good it will do if I'm not a good soviet player.

"scout" by looking in the fog of war.

Since relic doesn't want to fix it why not abuse it.
7 Aug 2014, 11:40 AM

That's still not enough to help me stop hordes of shock troops and conscripts
7 Aug 2014, 12:32 PM

As a soviet player I like using shock troops but only 1 or 2. Any more than that they become a huge manpower drain. They cannot take on vehicles so chase them around and bleed MP. 3-4 shocks ... that player will have no MP left to build anything if you keep sending them back to his base.
7 Aug 2014, 12:47 PM

Well I finally won one just then against a player about on my level I'd say. Vs shock troops and PPSH conscripts, played mostly defensive but luckily he didn't try and punish my defensive positions too much besides mortars. Scout car was a big help mid-game. Tried to breaktrhough with T34s but managed to stop that with Tiger + Pak, killed 3 T34s at the end and he dropped. But against a better player I feel I probably would have been rolled over.

http://www.coh2.org/replay/21925/1v1-oh-vs-su
8 Aug 2014, 20:05 PM

Soviets are MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to beat than USF just massivly harder.

I'm strugling against almost EVERY Strat.

-> Soviet T1+ Guards fuck up everything. M3 and Snipers drain your Sturms, Volks are useless against Infantry Strafniki and guards just chew them up .....

->Maxim Spam in the early + Zis KV8 in the Late and some incendary barrages ... you need a T1 (ISG early retreat piont) to counter the Super-Maxims so you will lack in hard AT. When you bring a Raketten it gets fucked by Barrages. (rlly annoying that the most effective Off-Map Arty is so fuckin' cheap) You'll loose your mapcountrol, quite fast and it's gg unless your opponent is a n00b.

-> Pure Con Spam is really annoying and shows how strong cons are "OURRAH" should be Vet1/2 at least to give Mg34s or Kubels a chance ....

-> combined arms is another deadly soviet strat due to the EXTREMLY strong team Weapons (I grab any 120mil, Maxims, ZiS-Gun I can get and they serve much better than their OKW counterparts)....

And the soviets got strong Lategame-Units like Is2s, T34s and ISU's completly different to the USF, who has to rely on Sluggers (strong unit)and the HE-Shermans.

Americans just can blob or overwhelm the Oberkommando in the early to get really dangerous .... i don't say they should nerf the soviets, and the balance 've been worse. But Soviets are just the most viable faction in the game, and extremly hard to deal with as OKW.

12 Aug 2014, 08:58 AM

Soviets are MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to beat than USF just massivly harder.

I'm strugling against almost EVERY Strat.

-> Soviet T1+ Guards fuck up everything. M3 and Snipers drain your Sturms, Volks are useless against Infantry Strafniki and guards just chew them up .....

->Maxim Spam in the early + Zis KV8 in the Late and some incendary barrages ... you need a T1 (ISG early retreat piont) to counter the Super-Maxims so you will lack in hard AT. When you bring a Raketten it gets fucked by Barrages. (rlly annoying that the most effective Off-Map Arty is so fuckin' cheap) You'll loose your mapcountrol, quite fast and it's gg unless your opponent is a n00b.

-> Pure Con Spam is really annoying and shows how strong cons are "OURRAH" should be Vet1/2 at least to give Mg34s or Kubels a chance ....

-> combined arms is another deadly soviet strat due to the EXTREMLY strong team Weapons (I grab any 120mil, Maxims, ZiS-Gun I can get and they serve much better than their OKW counterparts)....

And the soviets got strong Lategame-Units like Is2s, T34s and ISU's completly different to the USF, who has to rely on Sluggers (strong unit)and the HE-Shermans.

Americans just can blob or overwhelm the Oberkommando in the early to get really dangerous .... i don't say they should nerf the soviets, and the balance 've been worse. But Soviets are just the most viable faction in the game, and extremly hard to deal with as OKW.

We are in "Ostheer Strategies" forum actually
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment