Login

russian armor

Flushing troops out of green cover

6 Aug 2014, 07:17 AM

Hey all. I've just been noticing how utterly useless grenades seem to be against units behind green cover, such as stone walls. This seems counter-intuitive to me as it's not like the wall blocks their lobbed delivery. I'm used to thinking of grenades and flamethrowers as hard counters to troops in good cover, possibly from the original COH, but now it honestly seems so much safer to not move away from a grenade if you're behind a wall.

Obviously flanking with good micro is the best way to deal with these situations, but do flamethrowers still have any advantage against cover, and is there any way to make grenades actually work in these situations?

Cheers.
6 Aug 2014, 11:51 AM

Yes, flamethrowers are awesome against troops in cover although they work best against troops in buildings. Grenades are pretty meh right now.
6 Aug 2014, 14:30 PM

Grenades work pretty well. But you need be clser then the max range. It you toss at max range theres like a 75% chance the grenade will fall in front of the cover blocking some of the blast.. or its what I have noticed also. If you throw it farther then cover, then 1/2 the time they pull back on to the grenade dealng more dmg then if they sat still.
Dont give up on grenades yet
6 Aug 2014, 14:41 PM

IMO grenades are great. I've seen the odd throw land on the wrong side of the wall before, which sucks and negates all damage. If you want to flush troops from cover try landing the grenade a little behind the cover instead of at their feet in cover. This is much harder to completely dodge and leave your opponent with a few really crappy options.

* Eat the grenade and hope the squad comes out OK. (It's a little behind him, maybe he thinks it's too far)

* Run back/away to dodge like normal. (Risky but doable. If your throw is good and they are late with moving or don't realize you threw behind them the squad will be over the grenade when it blows)

* Vault over the cover to dodge. (It saves them from the grenade, but now they are on the wrong side of the cover and easy are pickings. Even if they quickly vault back you should do enough damage [+ not taking damage while they move] to win the fight.

* Move left/right to dodge. (This is the best play, particularly if they are in a long piece of cover.)

* Retreat. (They will move faster, but with a little luck they are still over your grenade when it blows. Retreating does not provide protection from AoE damage like grenades. :D )

_____

Considering the issues I have with blobs, I rely heavily on grenades at all stages of the game. Perhaps too much. I've lost squads to the insane damage rate of blobs trying to get a grenade off.

O/T Remember the old bug where you used a rifle grenade, but moved/canceled and it still at your muns? Yea, it's back. At least for the USF when using grenades. Usually cancels correctly, but there exists a window where you can still cancel the throw, but it eats the muns.
6 Aug 2014, 15:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

molotovs are still the best cover denial. Probably always will be.
6 Aug 2014, 17:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Aug 2014, 15:48 PMRomeo
molotovs are still the best cover denial. Probably always will be.

Rifle grenade is the best non-building anti-cover tool. Getting the molotovs in place usually cost you 2-3 models of cons. Molotovs are useless in late game anyway.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★