Login

russian armor

Vaux Farmlands review

24 Jul 2014, 19:11 PM

This is a love/hate relationship with me for this map. I've had both great and horrendous games on it, but for some reason I can never find myself having the desire to veto it even if I have more bad games. My treacherous games on this map may be due to a poor teammate or myself just playing irrationally. Regardless I've found myself enjoying this map.

The great games I do end up having on this map end up being freakishly action packed with tons of arcing mortars to fast paced tank rushes where in the end both sides end the battle in a draw only to both have to build up again. Other games I've found myself constantly on the defensive holding out just barely long enough to build enough forces to take the final VP and turn the tide.

This map has a sense of beauty with its combined fields ending at urban center, which tends to be the most concentrated part of the map. The problematic structure of the map I have become convinced about is the size. I find it rather large for 2v2 and with an overwhelming US infantry start you are forced to be defense at the very start only attacking a small section of the map together. Most likely a fuel point in the south or north and then slowly moving to the middle. Don't take this paragraph as a complaint or a cry for change on this map. I find everything on it to be quite nice and only speaking through difficulties I've experienced when playing Vaux Farmlands.

To be honest when this map gets chosen I'm both nervous and excited to play it. Nervous because, for me at-least, capping will be a bit of a struggle in the beginning. Excited because, I love the way the fighting erupts in the center town in and around buildings and all those walls. Jumping over walls, dashing for the vp, quickly garrisoning that building only to exit from incoming mortars. I honestly play harder not even to win on it anymore, but just to have a epic battle on the map.

I find this map to be layed out very well and honestly recommend relic, in my opinion, and other community members to look at Vaux Farmlands as an example of a good competitive map layout for new automatch maps in the future to come.

Happy gaming and hope you enjoy this map as much as I do.
24 Jul 2014, 19:23 PM

I like this map because of its large size. I like Vcoh maps better because they are more like this one; more room to maneuver, some buildings, and not too many obstructions.
24 Jul 2014, 19:33 PM

This map looks like its based off that one 3v3 map in vCOH. I think it was King of the Hill or something and it had a center and bot village exactly like this one in the map.

Not sure of the layout but it as hell brings me memories of that map.
24 Jul 2014, 19:42 PM

I find this map to be quite beautiful. Love the new greens introduced with the WFA expansion.

I also love the wide-open areas, perfect for tank battles and combined operations. I always find myself (as Soviets) laying mines all over that field that leads to the central village and watching the fireworks.

One of my favourite maps. The layout, the graphics, the expansive size (more conducive to flanking and taking different approaches to objectives, and the big battles that occur in the middle.
24 Jul 2014, 19:50 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I agree with Slurpee that I have bad games sometimes but never find it in my heart to veto it. That's probably a good indicator that it's quite balanced. You could win, you could lose, it's down to your skill.
24 Jul 2014, 21:12 PM

I like this map. It's large enough to promote movement and flanking, with still some buildings to allow for more defensive plays. It seems to me it also promotes team play by not being too linear like Minsk or Kharkov.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★