Login

russian armor

blitz1337 OKW balance thread

23 Jul 2014, 13:47 PM

The grenades are great, but you must first use 200 mp and 40 fuel to unlock them, and 30 munitions is a hefty price considering the resources the OKW get.

I think your confusing the USF grenades with the OKW ones, volksgrenadiers gain their grenade ability through inveteracy, which is free, rather than through tech like the USF.

And the OKW are at standard munitions post patch so 30 is no longer a hefty price.
23 Jul 2014, 14:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2014, 13:47 PMiDolize

I think your confusing the USF grenades with the OKW ones, volksgrenadiers gain their grenade ability through inveteracy, which is free, rather than through tech like the USF.

And the OKW are at standard munitions post patch so 30 is no longer a hefty price.

Wrong, Volksgrenadier grenades unlock from building one of the trucks.
23 Jul 2014, 14:28 PM
Patrion 14

Exactly, something you will do normally anyway (when teching up. Think of it as your first building for other factions, OKW can definitely afford it immediately).

OKW early game is about combining different units for good effect. There was a great replay of Barton vs somebody who manages to do this really well. He made good use of the (pre-buff) MG34, ISG, and volks as screening troops. Even one of Han's recent replays showed OKW capable of holding until Obers, when they start to wreck.

But that proves half the point too - Obers drastically effect the game when they come out, and demand a tank counter. It's pretty drastic.
23 Jul 2014, 14:39 PM

I just played a 1v1 with the new mg34 and...it really isn't drastically OP. An American rifle squad sat out of cover and was able to trade fire with it while suppressed without losing a model for 60 seconds. :/ The MG34 suppresses faster, but it's damage still stinks and it still isn't enough to hold back American rifle squads, IMO.

Edit: I think I will stick with specialty doctrine infantry over the MG34 still. Also that range nerf on the AA HT, didn't do shit, thing still was fast enough to get out of harm's way and into range.
23 Jul 2014, 15:16 PM

No But Seriously.

I have played now over a 100 games with OKW in 1v1. Here is my thoughts.

The game starts out as an upward battle. Sturmpios are great in some situations are the main DPS at the start. But its not long untill you start getting overwhelmed by rifles or scripts.

You can try and go the volks route, but they just do not cut it. The grenades are great, but you must first use 200 mp and 40 fuel to unlock them, and 30 munitions is a hefty price considering the resources the OKW get. Also if you use grenades you are left with no munitions for shreks or mines and will get torn apart by vehicles of any kind.

Kubelwagon. Yeah its great at the start, you lose capping power, you spend alot of time microing and 90% of games it will die within 5 mins due to an M3, M10, at nade or jst small arms fire.

Sturmpio's, making more than 2 is just a huge manpower drain, they take forever to build and reinforce too.

Callin's are your best friend really, access to real MG's and decent infantry. Making OKW abit like Soviets in that they are commander reliant.

Anyway the main trouble i have is the fact you have to choose between AI or AT. If there are rifles everywhere all armed with LMG's or Shocks running around chewing you up. Your choices to counter them all cost fuel.

1.)Tech to T3 and get Stuka or Flak.

2.)Tech to T4 and get Obers or Sturmtiger.

This leaves you with only 2 AT options early on, Shreks and Raktenwerfers. Neither of these are reliable AT. (Arguments incoming.....) No but seriously, the raktenwerfer unless garrisoned is killed soo easily. (also dies in houses pretty easy too) Shrek volks, well it's 90 Munitions that translates into 135 due to 66% income. For 1 Shrek!

So if you decide to go AI you leave yourself vunerable to Armour.

You could choose to go AT instead.

1.)Grab yourself an early couple of Pumas.

2.)Skip tech and jst get a couple of jagdpanzers.

3.)Or save the whole game to get a panther.

All of these options leave you totally vunerable to Infantry.

I find myself holding out the whole game to get a KingTiger every game because i want something that has AI and AT. Just like a Sherman, T34 85 or Tiger.

This is my opinion on the problems OKW have at the moment. And the Ladders don't lie.

It is an up hill battle from the start, as it's designed to be. From what I take from all these threads complaining about OKW's under strength is that some people have trouble adapting to new strategies that don't involve building 3-4 of the same unit and have them do everything you need.

To your claim that volks don't do anything I just have to flat out disagree. If volks are so terrible, how come any stream I watch from a decent player, they have 2-3 volks every game?

Yes their nades aren't as good against a unit in the open, but they just buffed it for more damage in houses. It works great, and comes with the first tier building I believe. Which is all you really need. The first building. Volks work great in houses and even in the open.

Don't skip the medic building ever. Keep your units healed and reinforced and they will vet very quickly.

As someone said, they eliminated the munitions 66% income, it's now 100% and is now viable to throw grenades at garrisons.

How'd you let someone get an M10 in 5 minutes. You lose capping power with the M3 as well, seeing as how you need a squad inside, meaning you have 2 units in one place. Aka lost capping power. Kubelwagon is hard to use, but definitely usable. It's a mobile supression platform and works great. Just keep it supported. Agree that it'll die rather quick as the game progresses but i've seen some get to vet 5.

2 Sturmpios are all you need. Mostly just for minesweepers and some nice CQC. Keep them paired with a volk with a shrek is what I like to do.

Isn't that what a doctrine is for? You pick it in the beginning of the game and develop a strategy around it or you pick it once you see their strategy and design yours around theirs? I rely on fallschrims to spawn behind maxims.

9/10 times I go for AT first. I haven't had too many people try to blob things up on me and I relied on my infantry to handle the AI. Vetted OKW infy just gets harder and harder to kill on top of the fact they cloak, run faster outta combat and heal. Fallschrims tear apart infantry coming toward them and even do decent damage up close.

Neither ONE of those are viable AT but when combined are pretty decent at keeping enemy vehicle at bay. Raketenwerfer is awesome first of all. It can get inside a building. It vets quickly and combined with a shrek, it'll do some decent damage on medium tanks. As I said, i'd also have a puma so any smart player would typically stay away from the house with an AT inside. They might die easy but they can retreat, which is something you should do before they are ontop of you.

I think your mistake is getting a "couple" of pumas. Stick with 1. They do decent on their own, have smoke and can really flank behind tanks. I keep the puma and hold out for the panther.

No offense but this isn't a balance discussion, this is you asking for more wehrmacht units. E.G an MG/pak40 etc. USF can't heal unless they have the ambo out. OKW can heal just by having veterancy and not being in combat. They can fucking cloak just because they got a star or two of vet. They can cloak in cover anywhere, that's so lulzy for raketenwerfers or sturmpios lurking somewhere. OKW is meant to have a close knit early game from what i've taken from it and people just wanna be able to run over the map with volks expecting to go toe to toe with USF rifles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 52
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment