Login

russian armor

Why should I build these units?

15 Jul 2014, 06:39 AM

If you think that OKW units are OP because they perform better than their counterparts from other factions and, taking into account resource limitations, you still think this is wrong, please do not read further, you will waste your time and you will not bring anything constructive in discution.

Ok, it's about raketenwerfer and Panther.

Raketenwerfer - Though OKW has fuel limitations and cannot bring a reasonable number of vehicles in the game, I find that they are not sitting on roses when speaking about AT capabilities either.
You are supposed to relay - for a good part of the game - on volks schrecks and raketenverfers, from different reasons: you preserve fuel for...(for what?! :D), or you don't have enough to spend it just on a jagdpanzer. So whit what will you cover your AT necessities? One of these units is the raketenwerfer, of course. But... honestly, things like garrisoning capabilities or camuflage at 1 star xp are not so usefull. I would rather prefer a unit that performs AT LEAST as good as PAK 40 (because at the current state it is far from PAK 40 performances - and I don't care about numbers, I just see it on the field), and I think this will be appropriate.
Why?
- Because generally you won't get more than 1 tank or self propelled AT.
- Because OH, while not having fuel limitation, is still capable to deal with medium armor threat using just PAK40 and Pzgrenadiers with schrecks. I think that in OKW case, this capability is required more than in OH's case;
- Because OKW needs an efficient AT tool capable to inflict more damage, from a decent range. And with a shorter aiming time, godamit.

Panther - an old unit borrowed from OH, unfortunately borrowed with all its weakneses. Same problems as allways: To fragile, to expensive. As OH I still wouldn't recommend to build a Panther. As OKW, I would recommend it even less, because that little fuel you have needs and deserves to be invested in something with better performances. Even Sturmtiger. At list you can get lucky and erase a blob. But expensive units like Panther, build by a fuel starved economy, that can die in 4-5 seconds to a T34 and a 2 zis guns, are not worth it. Question is what to build instead? And I don't know the answer, because OKW doesn't have a good medium tank. Doesn't have a medium at all.

All these problems creates a weak late game faction that may appear strong at the beginning, but in fact this is not true.

As a conclusion I still think Panther needs to be fixed. Or develop another Panther type for OKW. And not a weaker Panther with a reduced cost, this won't help OKW, this will probably work for OH. A capable tank, close to what it was in the past. OKW deserves this, because there is no danger for a Panther spam, not at this faction.
So is raketenverfer, it requires a buff. I don't mind if it be moved from Hq to a tear but at least give OKW something to fight with against early medium armor.
m00
15 Jul 2014, 07:11 AM
Donator 11

Raketenwerfers are boss, they RETREAT, garrison, cloak and cost only 240 manpower. You're crazy if you want something else. I go straight for panthers every OKW game I play, they are amazing. I see the problem for ostheer cause you can get out a p4 much sooner and control more of the game but really, you're doing something wrong if you can't use these units. Pumas/shreks/raketenwerfer/jagpanzer. How many AT options you think OKW needs?
15 Jul 2014, 07:19 AM

Racketens are indeed amazing. Retreat capacity is a lifesaver on an army with 5 levels of vet.

Regardless, volks are all packing a shreck each. So long as you use them as your core infantry, they and racketens have all the AT you need to carry you through T3/4 for Soviets or USF. Racketens bring the extra range and RoF needed to stop them just kiting your volks, in the end.

My personal preferred build for a 2v2 is volks heavy in the beginning, into Obers, a JgPzIV and then a Sturmtiger. The Jagd and my infantry are AT out the Wazoo, Obers are Obers, and Sturmtigers wipe a setup unit every time they fire, 100%. Also great for clearing blobs.

Panthers don't fit well into that because I'm already swimming in AT, and need some heavy AI/arty. But the panther still has plenty of room to shine if you need mobile AT.
15 Jul 2014, 07:39 AM

Racketens are indeed amazing. Retreat capacity is a lifesaver on an army with 5 levels of vet.

Regardless, volks are all packing a shreck each. So long as you use them as your core infantry, they and racketens have all the AT you need to carry you through T3/4 for Soviets or USF. Racketens bring the extra range and RoF needed to stop them just kiting your volks, in the end.

My personal preferred build for a 2v2 is volks heavy in the beginning, into Obers, a JgPzIV and then a Sturmtiger. The Jagd and my infantry are AT out the Wazoo, Obers are Obers, and Sturmtigers wipe a setup unit every time they fire, 100%. Also great for clearing blobs.

Panthers don't fit well into that because I'm already swimming in AT, and need some heavy AI/arty. But the panther still has plenty of room to shine if you need mobile AT.

A decent advice. I use alot of volks myself but i prefer wurframen as an efficient AI weapon. Sturmtiger has nice antiblob capabilities and can be used against it successfuly, but it depends somehow of how carefull is your oponent to. He will instantly hit the retreat button when he will see your Sturm. What I don't undesrstand is how you succeed in late game to keep pace with soviet armor just with a jagdpanzer and some volks. In 1v1 it may be a solution but passed that, you will probably face dual 85s + IS2 more likely and what you have will not sufise in my view. It's also true that your partner should not sleep. As for jagdpanzer I would like it to have some of Su-85 behavior. More speed and some enhanced view.
15 Jul 2014, 08:47 AM

A decent advice. I use alot of volks myself but i prefer wurframen as an efficient AI weapon. Sturmtiger has nice antiblob capabilities and can be used against it successfuly, but it depends somehow of how carefull is your oponent to. He will instantly hit the retreat button when he will see your Sturm. What I don't undesrstand is how you succeed in late game to keep pace with soviet armor just with a jagdpanzer and some volks. In 1v1 it may be a solution but passed that, you will probably face dual 85s + IS2 more likely and what you have will not sufise in my view. It's also true that your partner should not sleep. As for jagdpanzer I would like it to have some of Su-85 behavior. More speed and some enhanced view.

In some ways, I get lucky with the Jagdpanzer and Sturmtiger alike- as well as anti-infantry.

It's probably worth clarifying that this build works with the droppable commander Scavenge for the OKW.

The Jagd gets range from Jager light, which has obscene view ranges. Same goes for the sturmtiger- which has a firing range just longer than the usual view range of an infantry unit.

Recon setup team, load shell, remove setup team. It's not a huge hit on a blob, but losing one MG/At gun per minute really, really starts to stack up in the long run.

As well as that, my Volks get infiltration nades- cheap anti-blob and garrision that packs a hell of a punch.

As it happens, though, I'm a 2v2 player through and through. Duel T-34/85 are actually not much more dangerous than T-34/76: most of my AT is infantry based, and 85's suck at killing infantry in the general sense. Keep the Jags spotted for and plink away- if they push, the volks punish them hard.

ISU's/IS2's can be a problem, certainly. Sturmtigers, though, do massive amounts of health damage to them- hitting can be hard, but if you can, well worth it.

Really, by the time the late game rolls around, I hope to be having the fuel for a KT- or at least another Jagd. Scavenge means I can pick up a lot of extra fuel and muni for shrecks and nades- and once I have the shrecks I need, toggle on fuel transfer. The infiltration nades are only 10 muni a pop, thankfully.

If I know it's an IS2 commander I'll sometimes trade the sturm for an ostwind, and mop up infantry that way, so I can get heavier AT. Adapting to the late game is always difficult with that much infantry, but hopefully my Jagd is vetted by then, and vet 4+ Jagds are just scary, scary beasts
15 Jul 2014, 08:51 AM

People really underestimate the reocketenwerfer's ability to retreat or straight up forget. It basically allows you to be rather reckeless with them or throw them in with the rest of the blob, because if things go sour you can retreat the with the rest of the troops.
15 Jul 2014, 09:08 AM

[...]Duel T-34/85 are actually not much more dangerous than T-34/76: most of my AT is infantry based, and 85's suck at killing infantry in the general sense. [...]

Whaaaaat?
15 Jul 2014, 09:30 AM

Whaaaaat?
Well he is kind of right. While the 85s have a larger AoE they also shoot slower. Overall they aren't any better against infantry then a 76.
15 Jul 2014, 09:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Well he is kind of right. While the 85s have a larger AoE they
also shoot slower. Overall they aren't any better against infantry then a 76.

Both the 85mm and the 76mm have the same AoE. The 85mm scatters a lot less, though, so in my experience they tend to be much more reliable killing infantry, offsetting the small reload difference.
15 Jul 2014, 10:00 AM

Whaaaaat?

T-34/85 are worse at killing infantry than T-34/76 in my experience.

The reload difference seems to swing it for me. The accuracy is a thing, I suppose.

Neither of them are scary to raketens with volks support, so long as you don't over-extend.

85's, to boot, come by the time you have vet out the ears
15 Jul 2014, 10:07 AM
Patrion 14

The raketenwerfer is really good at its job and vets up silly fast due to its low cost. Once it's vetted up it performs really well. Keep it repaired though, since the gun is almost more fragile than the crew.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★