Login

russian armor

Pre-ordering and the state of the games industry

18 Mar 2013, 22:01 PM

With Aliens: Colonial Marines and the new SimCity being huge flops, I was wondering what people's feelings were with pre-ordering and pre-order bonus.
Like everyone else, I can't wait for COH2, but to be honest, their weak carrot on a stick offerings to buy now are not a convincing enough reason to fork over my money before release. Especially seeing as the release date has been pushed back, and at one point it was dubious as to whether the game would ever be released.

So how do you guys feel about paying early? Consider that game reviews are embargo'd right up until launch, but you can pay months in advance. Is this good for us?

This rockpapershotgun article is a great read on the topic.
18 Mar 2013, 22:24 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Bohemia Interactive has the right idea for pre-ordering with ArmA 3. If you order now (around 6 months before release), you get the game for 25 euros. That includes alpha AND beta access. If you buy it in beta phase it's like 40 euros. And full retail price is 50 euros. Very good idea from them tbh. They know the buyer is taking a risk by buying a game before hand, not knowing how good it's gonna be. But in exchange you pay less. And Bohemia gets alot of feedback from the Alpha. Win-Win situation :)
19 Mar 2013, 14:40 PM

I preordered CoH 2 because... well, it's Relic. I've played Relic games since DoW 1 and they haven't disappointed me yet, my faith in them is big enough for preordering. :) I pre order if I can trust the seller and in a way to show support. It's also nice to buy it ahead of time when I know that I will buy it in the future anyway. I'd rather pay ahead of time if I can. :)

Pre ordering ARMA 3 just became very enticing now as well...
19 Mar 2013, 18:47 PM

DoW 2 was so boring that I'm still hesitant to pre-order CoH 2. I'll be pissed if it's even half way decent and I have to wait until the Beta ends, though, so we'll see.
20 Mar 2013, 02:20 AM

I agree with you in regards to Bohemia! It is an incentive to put money down early without restricting in game content.
I love as well, I just dislike this exclusive preorder nonsense, like day one DLC.
20 Mar 2013, 02:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Mar 2013, 18:47 PMDanielD
DoW 2 was so boring that I'm still hesitant to pre-order CoH 2. I'll be pissed if it's even half way decent and I have to wait until the Beta ends, though, so we'll see.

well, if you pre-order during the beta, you should theoretically gain full access instantly... there might be an NDA on beta though, so you might not be able to tell whether the beta is any good without pre-ordering (or getting into the beta some other way).

but i still think there should not be an NDA for beta.
20 Mar 2013, 03:14 AM

I pre-ordered the game because even if it got rubbish reviews, I would have still bought it.

I suppose you could also argue if you are a big enough fan, the chances of you not liking the game are almost non existent (so you might as well pre-order). When I was younger I used to buy every Tekken game, simply because I loved Tekken and in spite of the fact that both reviewers and myself saw Tekken 3 as the franchises peak. As foolish as this was in some ways, I fundamentally liked all the games because I did like Tekken.

On the other hand I am aware that such loyalty to gaming franchises is somewhat illogical. So in answer to your second question, no I do not think it is good for us. One can still wait for the reviews though, so it is not as if the choice is not there.

In conclusion then, one should avoid pre-ordering and wait for the reviews except in cases where one would not care what the reviews say anyway (being honest), in which case pre ordering is the way to go!

PS. I greatly enjoy your shoutcasts 50CALBarrett, wish you would do more.
20 Mar 2013, 05:00 AM
Donator 22

Coh 2 was the first, only and most likely last title I'll ever pre-order. The incentives just don't outweigh the risks.
20 Mar 2013, 11:14 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I preordered CoH 2 because... well, it's Relic. I've played Relic games since DoW 1 and they haven't disappointed me yet, my faith in them is big enough for preordering. :) I pre order if I can trust the seller and in a way to show support. It's also nice to buy it ahead of time when I know that I will buy it in the future anyway. I'd rather pay ahead of time if I can. :)

This. I preordered the game because I too trust that Relic will make an outstanding game.
28 Mar 2013, 22:35 PM

In light of beta access in a few days, i caved and pre-ordered :P
28 Mar 2013, 22:58 PM

Welcome to the club and i hope more ppl preorder now that the beta date is released so we get more rewards :) (Steam of course)
29 Mar 2013, 01:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i dislike when companys do this just relase the beta to everyone that was promised a beta and get it over with. all the bs marketing tricks to try adn get you to spend your meony early as opposed to later seem silly to me.
29 Mar 2013, 07:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Mar 2013, 01:56 AMWiFiDi
i dislike when companys do this just relase the beta to everyone that was promised a beta and get it over with. all the bs marketing tricks to try adn get you to spend your meony early as opposed to later seem silly to me.

I do not know, but I think it is more for the hardcore fans who preordered when thq was on its deathbed. It shows faith that the company will make great work, and they wanted to appreciate that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★