Login

russian armor

2v2 with randos

3 Jul 2014, 05:07 AM

Lately I've been trying to get into team automatch, and have run into some difficulties.

In 2v2, half the time I get someone who's pretty good, but the other half is people who are going for what I call "defeatist" strategies, that is to say, strategies that aren't bad play, but simply have no potential to work. I mean like letting the other team have both fuel points and camping one of the victory points with most of their units and some tank traps and then ignoring my pleas for an attack on one of the fuel points. Or that one guy who spammed fuel caches while giving up most of the map. I'm no expert myself, but what I'm doing has a chance of working at least, even if it doesn't always because my execution isn't great.

Granted, like half the time it's the other team that's doing this, but still, it's frustrating either way.

Also, 3/4 of the 2 v 2 games I do involve a drop at some point.

1 v 1 feels fine, because there I simply lose when my opponent outplays me.

Am I just had too low of an ELO right now? Is that still solidly in the "noob" category? Fair enough if so, but for me that's a decent investment in a game.

edit:
Also, most people I play with have almost no interest in even brief communication. Isn't at least some coordination necessary to have a chance?

3 Jul 2014, 08:10 AM

Thats just how 2v2 Random is, 9/10 times you will get shit game (unless you don't count easy victory vs noob team as good game)
3 Jul 2014, 08:17 AM

If you actually go high on the 2v2 random leaderboards, you will face top teams all the time. Small playerbase yay, but at least these games tend to be interesting/learning experiences.
3 Jul 2014, 08:27 AM

If you actually go high on the 2v2 random leaderboards, you will face top teams all the time. Small playerbase yay, but at least these games tend to be interesting/learning experiences.

I guess I should add that I play when there is the least players online (Australia) so I almost never get good random game.

There always seem to be 1 or 2 players that are 'the fish out of the water' in the game, my team or opposing, it still ruins the game.
3 Jul 2014, 08:31 AM
Donator 33

Am I just had too low of an ELO right now?

I don't think playing more will help at all. There seems to be a constant influx of new players, and since they're randomly placed you can't avoid it on the random team ladder. This week playing 4v4 I went from ~3k to ~20k, most games the best player on the team by a massive margin (2x-6x), so I don't know what else I could've done. Next week I'll be randomly against people with connection problems and back up to 3k again. The difference is more pronounced in 2v2 as well since whoever gets the new player has no chance really.

I actually have a huge amount of respect for people with high random 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 ranks (moreso than 1v1) - no idea what they are doing but whatever it is, it's magic. Also it's interesting they're usually not top 1v1 but still manage to get their teams the wins. Maybe someone who is good at random matches can share their experience?
3 Jul 2014, 08:56 AM

I mostly play random 2v2 and have to say I love it but there are always some partners you would rather have skipped :)

You can try to talk quickly at start and for example say "double one side", focus here, going quick pz IV or something similar.

Sometimes the guy talks back and you can do something together.

Most of the time however people just don't talk or do their own thing so usually I prepare a range of commanders with the widest tactical options.
Then you just look carefully what your teammate is doing. You have to kind of play for two and look at the whole battlefield also looking at your partners weak points etc. When I notice the player with me is lacking somewhere I usually send over some units to complete his army or make sure he does not get overrun.

I find it quite hard how to explain enjoying random 2v2 but most important:
- be on top of the game, be very fast, forsee your partner's as well as your enemy's weakpoints and anticipate what will happen.
- be very patient and give everything, I have far too often seen huge comebacks in random 2v2 games.
3 Jul 2014, 10:57 AM

Ye. Communication is key. 2 mediocre players with teamwork beat 2 good ones fighting on their own all the time. The trick is to get your partner to cooperate. Good manners etc. go a long way.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 18
New Zealand 15

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment