Login

russian armor

Any good OKW strategy?

29 Jun 2014, 13:19 PM

I am not new to CoH mechanics and I think to be a decent player (I used to have a nice W/D rate some time ago) but I am facing very big issues using OKW. Especially in 1V1, I find really hard to hold the all the key sectors on the map.

So, anyone has a good start strategy to spread with the community? I thought 3 squads of Sturmpioneers, combined with a Kubel, could give to the german player an excellent advantage, but I also heared that a volks spam could be difficult to counter. Any idea?
30 Jun 2014, 18:26 PM

I am not new to CoH mechanics and I think to be a decent player (I used to have a nice W/D rate some time ago) but I am facing very big issues using OKW. Especially in 1V1, I find really hard to hold the all the key sectors on the map.

So, anyone has a good start strategy to spread with the community? I thought 3 squads of Sturmpioneers, combined with a Kubel, could give to the german player an excellent advantage, but I also heared that a volks spam could be difficult to counter. Any idea?

I don't have any spesific tips since I have very limited experience with the OKW, but I can try to give some general tips.

I think you kind of have to play like you'd play with the Wehr in the early game - focus on one key area, hold that and build your forces from there. Againt the USF I think too many volks don't really work that well, you need to use kubels to suppress and close in with sturmpios while doing long range damage with volks at the same time.

However against the soviets you might have some success with a volks-based army but I wouldn't spam them. Against soviets I wouldn't go for a kubelwagen either because both T1 and T2 counter it so perfectly since it's so weak.

When preparing for tanks you might want to have 1-2 volks with schrecks and 1-2 raketenwerfers. One infantry support gun also helps a lot. Puma is very good in combination with raketenwerfers because of it's range and it can compete with a T-34 pretty well, with shermans too with the support of the raketenwerfers.

Hope it helps!
30 Jun 2014, 19:45 PM

Thansk for your tips TNrg. Since I have not specific troubles in the early game (Sturmpios and Kubel are awesome in combination) I will keep in mind your suggestions about the start of the armor warfare.
9 Jul 2014, 00:03 AM
Benefactor 392

Kubel are good for spotting around the map, I usually patrol them around. set them in certain chokes and wait till they start to light up and then pull them away. and set them up in another quiet spot. Really useful to track where your opponent goes.

Though saying that the kubel is squishy, so weather you think you can micro go for it, if not, then yeah, probably not the best choice. Though I find them super fun.

And yes, you have to pick a spot and enforce it. However with your capping issue, you'd have to go out to harass points. Make sure however you'd set up in a good area that way you can enforce areas faster.

Also don't cap if you don't have time to, instead try go around to de-cap, also make sure you de-cap the chokes, i don't like spending to cap them instead move on and de-cap more things.

Sorry if this is obvious
9 Jul 2014, 09:08 AM

If I go heavy in the start my preferred build is. Volks, Kubel, Volks, Pios, MG34 -> Puma

I dislike having more than one Kubel since it requires lots love, and since no matter what it is very unlikely that it will survive the entire match.

That force setup allow me to work two pushes leading with Volks supported by Pios. The Kubel uses its speed to react to combats while the MG34 is used more for blocking or for setting up a interlocking fire zone on the Kubel as it moves in for a suppress in a combat.

I find this combination good since the on hand pios leaves some on hand killing power always available and with cover at hand the volks can stay in place long enough for the Kubel to get into position. Even if you are forced to retreat with the "feeler" Volks they usually provide you with enough intel of what is happening to close the deal with the Kubel and Pios. Then you simply repair the Kubel with the Pios while capping the sector. Rince and reapeat until map domination. (Along the road you should pick up schrecks and later a Puma to stay safe from light vehicles.

After that it is more open, I usually "backtech" to medic truck and bring out Falls and a jagdpanzer. If I had the defensive doctrine I would probably go offensive medicbunker and Flacktruck to bring out Ostruppen and once CP allow it a PAK43. (That should create a vicious forward strong-point and allow you to wait out panther or sturmtiger if you really want to seal the deal)

I find that to be a good powerful start, however if you don't manage to get a good advantage out of it, early late game is is going to be rough since you spent a fair bit of fuel and manpower to pressure the enemy.
11 Jul 2014, 13:09 PM

I generally don't play 1v1 but here's what I did in my "practise 1v1" games and it mostly worked.

Try to advance keeping your units close. Go for the near fuel, one Volks and one Sturm should go side by side so if one encounters the enemy, the other can react and run to help. One Kubel is good but keep it safe, don't advance too much and keep it always behind your infantry. Then, another Volks and if all is good, I bring on a Rocket launcher. Hide the Pupchen until you see the enemy armoured car or he may be scared and not build one.

I generally go Luftwaffe, but Panzerfusilier giving doctrine is also ok for me. When the MG34 and doctrinal infantry come to help, if you haven't been wasted for now, it's fine. The thing is, do not rush your truck and try to gain ground. You need to fight and keep your men alive. Even setting up the truck close to your base is ok if you thing you'll risk too much by getting far. Keep your troops together, maybe in 2 groups close to each other. When one encounters the enemy, flank with the other. Do not run to the far sides of map to gain points. Defeating the enemy forces and not having your men killed is more important than gaining ground.

The first building is great. It gives you the artillery gun(a perfect weapon) and Jagpanzer (the middle AT for OKW) Now, all is great, you have everything you need in mid game; infantry (Volks + doctrinal), artillery gun and Jagpanzer. The main problem here is enemy Sniper, for which I have no easy answer. Just try to catch it alone with Kubel or a flanking infantry unit and run away from it if it seem to kill too much. Sniper means trouble for OKW, just try to resist, giving ground is ok if you can protect your troops.

I generally skip Mechanized building and go for the Shwere. If Sniper's a pain in the ass a light tank can come but watch out for AT guns. Silence AT guns and Snipers with your artillery gun if you can. When the Panther comes, it's generally GG.

Hope I could give some help :) Good luck, OKW is real fun...
12 Jul 2014, 00:38 AM

I've been struggling with these guys. I find my squads are getting wiped often.
12 Jul 2014, 01:07 AM

Shameless self-promotion:

In all seriousness I can try to help people out if they provide replays (can pm them to ciez23 on here) or if they have general questions. Replays are a lot easier since I can only answer questions with general theory.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★