Login

russian armor

(2 - 4) Fork in the road

30 Apr 2014, 20:13 PM

Eeey!

I've submitted this map for the contest and have awaited reviews. It seems to take some time so I might as well keep on working with the map and post it here!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247873270

Just started working with the tactical map and loading screen and will update it soon enough.
I should point out that this is one of my first ever maps and for sure the one where I've learned most. The detailing is not the best, but I really like the map design and after playing it a couple of times versus AI I really like the flow of it.

It looks pretty basic but I think it opens up for some interesting moves.

(Right now I'm mainly focusing on making the map look better and more natural. Something I need to improve my skills with.)

Any comment would be very appreciated!
30 Apr 2014, 23:07 PM

It's a good start. Need multiple more passes on the detail. Play with expanding your texture pallet and placing more detail to capture (but not distract) the player's eye.

One thing in particular that bothers me is the river that mysteriously ends, and also has a bridge going over it. Just make that cut through the map in that corner or make it terminate at a lake of some sort... I dunno, use your imagination.

I like the fork in the road idea which holds a burned out middle. However, the fact that the devastation is so neatly contained by the roads is of some concern to me.

Just my thoughts to push your design even further. Go with it and continue to develop and experiment. I wouldn't worry about a loading screen or a tac map yet, as I believe you should work further on the design and push yourself to uncover even more secrets of the World Builder and of map design in general.
1 May 2014, 03:01 AM

Thanks!

I agree with you all the way. I've learned a lot since I started working with this map so hopefully my next one can look much better and also various other improvements of course.

Rather then reworking all the splats/tiles/splines too much I wanted to see if I could make it a good competitive map to play. If the design doesn't work out I wanna work on another map ideas instead.
1 May 2014, 04:03 AM

Unfortunately, a lack of textures will distract the player. It needs to be realistic enough to immerse the player in the environment. This is of course 2nd to what you want to focus on: a good layout. But they go hand in hand. And really, the most time consuming part is the aesthetic detailing... Yet, comparatively, it is less important.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★