Login

russian armor

Creating a map together

22 Apr 2014, 14:25 PM
Donator 11

Hi all,

I've got a small offer I want to share with everyone,
If you've got any interest let me know (pm or Steam).

My idea:

- Wouldn't it be nice to create a map with someone else?
- Give each other feedback and space to alter your work or his own.
- Sometimes when you've got no inspiration, the other one can pick it up
- Discuss the map layout (1v1;2v2;3v3;4v4) (City, Forest, Harbour, open fields)

How it works:

- Can be done by shifting the files back and forth through Dropbox.
- Change the name of the dopbox-map when you're working on it, change it back when you're done.
- leave a note in the dropbox folder if you've seen something that needs to be changed or altered.

My maps so far:
- Surazh
- Seine River Docks
- Achelous River

Let me know!
22 Apr 2014, 14:36 PM

I thought about it too! Could be cool!
22 Apr 2014, 15:27 PM
Donator 11

Have you ever created a map before?
22 Apr 2014, 20:06 PM

Oh, I just meant like in general. I've made attempts at making maps but have yet to fully finish my first one. Submitted a map to the contest tho!

It takes so much time to make a map into a playable state so it would be nice and fun to co-create maps.
22 Apr 2014, 20:15 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, tried it once, but you have to make sure the other ones take it as seriously as you do :P

Hope somebody could join me
25 Apr 2014, 01:42 AM

I'd be up for it. I've created a variety of maps for both the original Company of Heroes and the sequel, although I've never released one publicly. There would be a lot of planning involved to make it a smooth and efficient process, but it would be an interesting experiment.
29 Apr 2014, 18:31 PM

It would be really fun for sure. If I can be of any help I'd love to make this happen.
30 Apr 2014, 08:38 AM

It would like to help, but my internet connection is very slow (uploading files)...

I made 'Operation Bridge Builder' :)
28 Jun 2014, 00:10 AM

Just thought I'd revive this idea if it hasn't taken off.

I have an idea of one way this could work. I was thinking that people could make threads in the forum with "template" maps they've created. Basically what these template maps would be is just the terrain/rivers/mountains, starting points, roads, and other map defining objects (like if there was a church in the middle of the map, or important bridges). They would create a thread with screenshots of their template and people could ask to be the one who gets to work on it. The uploader would then have the choice to agree or disagree to send that person the map files (depending maybe if they like the maps that person has already made). Also the original uploader could state certain conditions.

For example I might start a thread advertising this as a template with the condition that you can't extend the beaches further into the water and that you can't remove he church.

As you can see it's pretty barren. Beaches are empty and the midland is empty, but the textures are there and it's still fairly detailed. The person who downloads it can now decide where to place strategic points, roads, where to place buildings and other objects. If they want to build a town in the middle of the map they can. If they don't like the trees on the side of the map they can remove them. They can flatten cliffs if they need beach access at certain points, and do pretty much anything they want with it so long as it stays within the same "theme" of the map (rocky shore) and they don't break the original uploaders conditions (no extending beaches). Once they felt they were finished adding their touches to it or if they don't want to work on it anymore they would share their progress with screenshots in the original thread and see if anyone wants to continue working on it or work together with whoever has already participated to make the final changes so that the map is balanced, not too cluttered, and that textures flow seamlessly.

To make this work though we would need to agree on certain rules before the original uploader passes the map off, such as no changing population cap, no changing starting resources, using default number of points (relic default of 10 territory, 2 fuel, 2 muni). The final thing to agree on would be who gets to upload it. I was thinking we could create a shared Steam account where we could upload maps that were created via collaboration that meet quality standards (balance and detail, that could potentially be considered by Relic to be included as maps in game). Whoever worked on the map would have their names featured in the workshop download page with links to their private workshop maps and have their usernames in the loadingscreens.

Thoughts?
29 Jun 2014, 04:43 AM

Wow, I was just thinking about this old thread and now you just posted this a few hours ago. Cool.

Sounds like you have a good plan there, but I guess what most people have trouble with is the finer details? I know that's how it is for me atleast. I love to plan and design a general layout, maybe even plan all the details, I'm just too lazy too see it all through you know?

Anyways, I love your ideas and I don't have anything specific to point out other then I think it sounds great. :j
30 Jun 2014, 19:22 PM
Donator 11

Here is one of my maps that i kinda stopped working, because the newer version got out of memory error and that kinda killed this project for me.

If anyone wants to start working on this map, feel free to do so, just say it on this thread so multiple people dont make the same map, though that would be interesting to see how different they would end up being :) Get it here

Also seems like relic replaced some textures with new ones :D

1 Jul 2014, 22:22 PM
Donator 11

Love the idea of using a template! however, this requires a map that already has a base layer and only needs detailed work.
I'm (if I may say so) somewhat good in the details of a map, but I need to have something I can work with. Hope someone can offer that!
2 Jul 2014, 03:37 AM

Well you have a good template there from Sirlami! If that's not what you are looking for maybe I can help?
2 Jul 2014, 04:12 AM

I'm thinking I'll create 5 templates and post them here in the future and we'll see if it works or not. My biggest problem is adding details on maps. Nothing says the templates I upload are guaranteed to be completed, but if something catches someones attention and they have ideas they want to add to it then they can download it and we'll see how it works out. We just all need to keep an open mind that the quality of these maps might not always meet what we expect.
2 Jul 2014, 08:47 AM
Donator 11

I think sharing these kinda of maps could be a really good idea :) I usually make about 3 maps and only 1 map gets to the publishing part, so i could post the rest here if someone wants to work on them.
2 Jul 2014, 23:18 PM
Donator 11

Sounds nice! I've been struggling to get an idea going, but once I have a base layer to work with the process goes much faster
9 Jul 2014, 00:13 AM

Sounds nice! I've been struggling to get an idea going, but once I have a base layer to work with the process goes much faster

I've made some templates, but I suck at finishing maps. Mainly cause my skillz are pretty poor in WB.
31 Jul 2014, 17:20 PM

that's how me & deadkennys do the coh1 conversions... it's a dual effort usually & works great. (almost 80 maps so far in the workshop)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★