Login

russian armor

(6 - 8) Lake Zaverez

11 Apr 2014, 11:38 AM

Here is my map for the contest

So far there is quite little ice on multiplayer maps, so i made a map with lots of ice :) But as you can see there isnt that many places where your troops can land from the ice, thanks to cliffy terrain.

I designed the map so that both sides would have positions which are easy to defend, and there is many safe places where you can build artillery without fearing it being destroyed too easily.

Steam link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247919350

11 Apr 2014, 18:10 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hello Deer! (Hurr)

I have to say, you've really caught my eye with this map! What you've created is graphically sound in many places, and brings an interestingly new concept to the table!

However, I do have some advice that I hope you would consider:

• Be aware of the amount of groves you use on your map. If you want a dense forest, only use groves if you want to block access. Considering that this is a large map, intended for between 6 and 8 players, you want as much access across the map as possible. With this in mind, please also ensure that your forests have large enough spaces for light vehicles to pass (as they cannot knock down trees), and that there is enough room between groves for tanks.
  • You've focussed on Ice, which is great! But I would definitely ensure that you adapt the centre of your map in some way. As Ice cannot have territory points on it, it needs to offer some form of tactical advantage. Try using the ice tool to weaken or even temporarily remove some of the ice from the lake for the early stages of the game. This ice will freeze over with time, but for the beginning will limit the teams to using the land or the frozen areas.
  • Finally, I would take another looks at your atmosphere settings. You have made some great shadowing and reflective snow, but your sunlight seems a little dark! I would suggest adding some tones of blue to add a really "cold" chill to the map!

Great work so far! I hope to see you further down the competition!
12 Apr 2014, 17:09 PM

Thanks MonolithicBacon, i appreciate feedback :)

I made roads and other land routes quite narrow on design, because that kind of "bottleneck" design supports more defensive gameplay. I did that because i believe defensive gameplay is really fun but very few multiplayer maps support it, those that do are my favorites.

Pripyat spring is good example, its bottleneck gameplay, and to some degree rostov (mainly the urban area) is too. I wanted to make map with similar gameplay to those maps where defending is very easy while attacking is very difficult..

I love the concept where defending side has time to dig in deep, player is designing complete defensive system himself including MGs,mortars,AT-guns, minefields, bunkers, barbwires, dug in tanks, tank traps, artillery support, long range guns like Pak43 or ISU-152 etc.. while the attacking side is designing and pre-planning how and with what units he launches the attack with. The good defensive positions and the gap (ice) between those positions kinda makes players build and design in quiet, untill one side chooses to launch all out massive attack that clashes on the massive defense design of opposing player.. and the result is most epic battles i have seen in this game :)

So its not just non-stop zerging all the time, this gameplay gives players sometimes opportunities/time to design and plan, and then watch how his plan works in action. So far only few maps support this very well, and i tried to make one more map to support this... while at the same time the map supports the stantard non-stop action too, only if/when certain part of the area calms down for a while, you can start designing and building the defensive system.. but you dont have to.

I tried to make the ice be broken at start but after i stamped my entire map to fix one bug, my map started crashing on load if i had added broken ice.. maybe because i stamped the ice too.. it got fixed when i fully healed all my ice to 100% health and resaved/repacked the map, but whenever i tried to re-apply it, it crashed.

Yes the atmosphere settings are one thing which is never going to be done, i know it from experience :) I used to make maps for 7 years for Battlefield mod called Project Reality.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight