Login

russian armor

Tim's film topic!

10 May 2013, 22:12 PM

Watched Pulp Fiction last night. It wasn't as good as I expected but it had its moments.
11 May 2013, 14:06 PM

Watched Pulp Fiction last night. It wasn't as good as I expected but it had its moments.

Watch it again sometime soon, it'll be better ^^
11 May 2013, 15:58 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favorites. It changed the game when it first came out. I remember seeing it in a theater on opening night in San Diego. My friends and I were enthusiastic because we all loved the incredibly low-budget Resevoir Dogs, but we had no idea what we were in for. Pulp Fiction blew us away... what a riot! So much great dialog and utter lunacy. I'll always love that film.
17 May 2013, 15:56 PM

Working on my own new film now, was trying out some time lapse shots :P

26 May 2013, 16:14 PM

nice movie i just watched , has been heavilly influenced by night of the living dead , a worthwile watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fiy4A3sbd4
7 Jun 2013, 16:19 PM

Did you also saw other movies of Kurosawa?? So much of his work is later used again by famous directors, the 2 protagonists in The Hidden Fortress (1958) are the inspiration for CP30 and R2D2! Lucas even used exactly the same background in a shot in Star Wars as Kurosawa used in The Hidden Fortress :)

And A Firstfull of Dollars from Sergio Leone is just a remake of Yojimbo. Seven Samurai also had multiple remakes in Hollywood as a Western, and even a remake in Russia :D

I would HIGHLY recommend Kurosawa's classics: Seven Samurai, Yojimbo & Roshomon are all fantastic. I also suggest Dreams to any fan of his who hasn't seen it. One of the last films he released, and quite dark.

Seconding Hans on "My Way" by Kang Je-Kyu. EXCELLENT WWII flick out of Korea (Whose film industry is HUGE). I was blubbering like a baby by the end...

Also: 12 Angry Men = YES.
8 Jun 2013, 12:18 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Love the Kurosawa classics and love the spaghetti westerns that they inspired. I've got the whole Segio Leone collection; the Dollars Triology, Once Upon a Time in the West (Charlie Bronson w00t!) and Once Upon a Time in America are my favs.
15 Jun 2013, 00:04 AM

I saw After Earth today in the cinema, and man it's bad.. :/ The story sucks and they are really close to just 1 star.

But enough about bad films, since I wanted to see something good I decided to watch Into The Wild again. And it's just soooo good. The music, the shots, but especially the meaning of the film and the reasons behind the story. It's just one of those movies that makes you think about life, freedom, happiness and human relations and makes you want to do something real instead of that daily routine of going to college, doing random stuff and playing video games. Yet he meets lots of persons who are like a father to him and make up for his life as a child but he doesn't figure out the meaning and importance of it until he's into the wild with no one there to share anything with.

These films always make me feel like my life is so unimportant and really get me thinking about it and maybe, besides motivating me to go and do something real and new, even allows me to see both the sadness and the joy in life (for as far as I know anything about that) and for that reason I just love these types of films; a consideration and above all an inspiration of life!
15 Jun 2013, 02:28 AM
Donator 11

Just went through my imdb watchlist and these are the movies i recommend and are awesome to me :D

1. The bucket list 2007 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825232/)

2. Incendies 2010 especially amazing! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255953/)

3.The Intouchables 2011 great "comedy" based on true story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/)

4.Eyes wide shut 1999 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120663/)

5.Exam 2009 not among the awesome but worth watching (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1258197/)

6. The blind side 2009 gotta watch this, based on true story (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0878804/)
15 Jun 2013, 11:08 AM

Watched Cloud Atlas the other day and wow, didn't expect that. Had a little déjà vu moment the day after too. :D
15 Jun 2013, 14:35 PM

Watched M.Night Shamalayayans "Devil" about people trapped in an elevator with Satan. It was OK and actually kept my attention throughout, though I'll probably not watch it again.

Had a big campaign at my local blockbuster were they sold out DVDs for about 1 bucks a piece. Got 3 Kingdoms, Devil, The Lincoln Lawyer, Redacted and the Electrical Mist. :)
19 Jul 2013, 23:32 PM

So far the summer has been pretty disappointing :/ Now You See Me was prolly the best film I saw in 3 or 4 months in the cinema, and it was 'okay' :P

I also saw A Beautiful Mind again and that film is still really great though! Crowe is acting great again and the music and story is nice too (bit of a clishé ending though) ★★★★
23 Jul 2013, 17:56 PM

I just saw Cry_Wolf at television when I was bored, and it really surprised me! It's actually a pretty good film with a good story about lies and truth and I really recommend it for that ^^ ★★★★
24 Jul 2013, 19:07 PM

Pacific Rim was a very nice love poem to a very niche genre. I think movie studios should support more movies like it.

Being mexican and loving Guillermo del Toro I may be biased but Pan's Labyrinth(El Laberinto del Fauno) is a masterpiece of fantasy for adults.

No Country for Old Men is also a spectacular film. Atlhough having some anachronisms in their weapons selection, the way in which they handle the guns is very authentic. Any film with Javier Bardem is worth it, if only for his acting (I'm looking at you, Skyfall).

All that being said and done, if any of your are appreciative of animated films then Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki's works in particular, are amazing for plot structure and character design:

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle Cogliostro.

All great movies. :)

24 Jul 2013, 21:26 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Pacific Rim was, in my humble opinion, an insult to human intelligence and a masterpiece or trash. It has awesome special effects, awesome battles and a cool idea of having big robots fighting big monsters (a lot of references to the last 30 years of our history and our toys). But:

[SPOILERS ALERT]

24 Jul 2013, 21:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

Pacific Rim was, in my humble opinion, an insult to human intelligence and a masterpiece or trash. It has awesome special effects, awesome battles and a cool idea of having big robots fighting big monsters (a lot of references to the last 30 years of our history and our toys). But:

Agreed, a huge troll movie. The amount of clichés in it is unbelievable, but the battles are really nice.
25 Jul 2013, 00:35 AM

You cant appreciate Pacific Rim with a logical approach. Its not meant to be logical, it is in fact meant to be absurd. It's supposed to be cheesy, cliché and inconsistent.

Logically speaking, a robot of that size would NEVER be able to sustain itself, it would crumble under its own weight. Furthermore, the explosive power of a single cruise missile is larger than the best punch a robot of that size can pull off.

Watch any Kaiju movie or TV Show... it doesn't make any sense. Power Rangers, Godzilla, Ultraman, Voltron, Mazinger Z and Evangelion, all of them make no sense. It requires you to forget about being an adult making sense of things, and buy into the fantasy of watching big ass machines, wrestling with big ass robots.

I am the first to admit there's plenty of inconsistencies in the film. I could make a VERY long list that I found, but in the end, watching a big robot rocket punch a giant lizard is worth the suspension of belief. I admit though, it is not a movie for everyone :p
25 Jul 2013, 02:25 AM

This thread was an interesting read. Added a few movies to my watch list. Thanks.

Curious what you guys think about:

Unbreakable (2000): It is a slow movie, but I think the pace works and I really enjoyed it.

Kick Ass (2010): I thought this movie did a really good job of being fun while still maintaining serious undertones.

The Other Guys (2010): One of my favourite comedies of all time.
25 Jul 2013, 04:31 AM

Unbreakable is a nice movie. Not flawless, but it was a nice watch (definitely the last Shyamalan movie I liked).

Kick Ass was fun, haven't read the Comic Book, but it's got some sick scenes.

The Other Guys had its moments. I definitely loved the tracking shot in the Bar scene. If you liked that scene, you should check this one out:) :

30 Jul 2013, 08:38 AM

Kickass is one of those 4/5 movies that I can watch over and over and just be entertained by. Also fun for this sad Nick Cage fan to actually see him being good, in a good movie. :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Mexico 26
United Kingdom 149
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak