Login

russian armor

Using 5.1 Speaker/surround sound on Laptop

31 Jan 2014, 03:58 AM

Ok so i know i can't use 5.1 speaker system and get surround sound on my laptop due to the lack of inputs.

But, i can get 2.1 - so my front speaks and sub woofer work.

What do i need to get so i can make full use of my 5.1 system, so all speakers work?

thanks,

Volo.
31 Jan 2014, 05:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge

you could use a headset that has 5.1 surround sound.
31 Jan 2014, 07:37 AM

I have a a headset with wired optical with 7.1 sound, thats for gaming,

i want the speakers for music, movies etc etc :)
31 Jan 2014, 10:33 AM

There are several ways of doing what you want Volo.

The most common and economical is to get a suitable receiver/AVR, string the best speakers you can afford off that and use the remote to control the system. Second hand is a good source of inexpensive components.

This is the simplest method and ties in well with video on a big screen.

If you are running a desktop PC with a full size mobo the on-board sound module will do the decoding for you and output on those 4 coloured 3.5mm TRS minijacks you find round the back. If you have a laptop without a built in decoder you can buy one off ebay for ~$100. This is essentially the same thing you find on a desktop but in it's own box.

This is cheap but you then need amplifiers or powered speakers and control is usually via software which can be inconvenient.

You can also buy a quality sub-woofer which acts as the system hub. This is the current pro solution and the units can be super sophisticated. Some come with a microphone and suite of test tones. You place the mic at the listening position and the system then calibrates itself automatically for the optimum sound in your room.

Fantastic quality, especially with multiple subs, but eye wateringly expensive.

Yet another method and the one that I use is to get a multi channel audio interface (essentially several DACs in one box) and do all the set up and calibration in software. Works best with active speakers. You can also buy special 5.1 and 7.1 monitor controllers.

This is a very flexible solution and works well with a typical desktop and 24" and up monitor system. It can also become expensive as the cheapest unit I know of with 8 analogue outputs costs ~$400.

The AVS forum is a good source of advice on this topic.

AVS Forum Home
31 Jan 2014, 11:44 AM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight