Login

russian armor

Sharing internet with family

29 Jan 2014, 12:35 PM
Patrion 14

Hi guys/girls!
So I like to play Company of Heroes and Day of Defeat. But I live in a family with 1 sister that downloads tons of crap (shitty movies, shitty songs, etc.). I can't believe I am the only one with such a sister, but when I check pings every damn time I am the only one with over 200/300. As you can imagine, this is quite annoying.

Im not stingy, and I dont game a lot, but when I do I'd like to do it with pleasure ;)

Questions:
1. Is there any way I can limit the download speed of my sister?
2. As I can't believe I am the only one with this problem: How do you guys fix this problem? Or you probaly just have decent internet..

I have been looking on google but didn't find stuff I could really use.

Thanks in advance!
29 Jan 2014, 12:39 PM

Install NetLimiter to her PC and set limit 50kb/s
29 Jan 2014, 12:52 PM

29 Jan 2014, 12:54 PM

The main issue with bandwidth is the upload speed... ask her to limit it - it wont affect download speed (assuming she uses torrents)

Or if you log into your router you can limit each computer that is connected to it.

Failing that you could have her "sent" to the Czech Republic for a nominal fee
29 Jan 2014, 12:57 PM
Patrion 14

Thanks for the fast and clear answers!

I'll try the NetLimiter first (which looks pretty nice) and if that doesn't work I take the 100% succes guaranteed option.

EDIT:
Yeah, I have been checking the router if I can limit bandwith there, but I can only give access to users by adding there MAC address to a filter. I haven't found any stuff to limit usage. It's a pretty cheap router..
29 Jan 2014, 13:17 PM

Do what I do: Storm out of your room yelling and shouting at everyone to stop torrenting and threaten to change the Wi-Fi password if no one complies. MVGame
29 Jan 2014, 15:00 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2014, 13:17 PMKhan
Do what I do: Storm out of your room yelling and shouting at everyone to stop torrenting and threaten to change the Wi-Fi password if no one complies. MVGame

what i would do :D

seriously though a simple way to handle this to might be just to ask your sister to download stuff during certain times so you can play then, like at night or in the mourning whenever your not playing games.
29 Jan 2014, 15:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2014, 15:00 PMWiFiDi

seriously though a simple way to handle this to might be just to ask your sister to download stuff during certain times so you can play then, like at night or in the mourning whenever your not playing games.

adding to this, many torrent clients have a scheduling feature wherein you can set bandwidth limits during certain times of day/days of the week. so if she is torrenting you could set severe download and upload restrictions during peak hours and let it go buck while you sleep.
29 Jan 2014, 15:21 PM
Patrion 14

Yeah I tried that WiFiDi, wbut she is kinda addicted to facebook it seems..
14 Feb 2014, 03:07 AM

The main issue with bandwidth is the upload speed... ask her to limit it - it wont affect download speed (assuming she uses torrents)

Or if you log into your router you can limit each computer that is connected to it.

Failing that you could have her "sent" to the Czech Republic for a nominal fee

This. Just limit her upload.

What's your bandwidth?
14 Feb 2014, 20:48 PM

Demolish her PC. Problem solved.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %