Login

russian armor

attn Company of Heroes 2 Worldbuilders

4 Jan 2013, 17:20 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/COH2MD

I am gathering COH worldbuilders for future COH2 mapping. If your in this for the long haul or are interested in worldbuilding or please join. See you in the worldbuilder group chat on steam!

Even if your not in the group feel free to come in and group chat!

Sincerely, WhiteFlash
4 Jan 2013, 17:47 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Cool! I haven't made any maps since... ever but I'm hoping we get some better mapmaking support from Relic this time around so folks can do your job. New maps and better maps do more than almost anything to keep a game alive and it was really a shame to see how crazy difficult it was for custom stuff to work in CoH.
4 Jan 2013, 18:08 PM

Well, all the tools were there before, it was just difficult. I don't think anyone's expecting them to release a 'noob friendly' edition.
4 Jan 2013, 18:17 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

The worldbuilder itself will most likely be the sameish, the interest form Relic to support mappers will definitely be alot higher this time around.
4 Jan 2013, 18:27 PM

I dabbled briefly with map making for CoH. Perhaps we could create a section here for sharing how-tos, ideas and maps?

This site is way better than Steam groups.
4 Jan 2013, 19:46 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I assure you that the worldbuilder will be the same, just alot of things will be updated. Cause when i used DoW2 worldbuilder, it was the same program with some things updated.
Moy
4 Jan 2013, 19:48 PM

I support the worldbuilder. Countless hours has gone by with no product to show :(
4 Jan 2013, 20:49 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jan 2013, 18:08 PMTommy
Well, all the tools were there before, it was just difficult. I don't think anyone's expecting them to release a 'noob friendly' edition.

By "better mapmaking support" I don't mean a nice little noob friendly editor or anything, I mean a better way for people to find and play custom maps. RTS games seem to have gone backwards since Starcraft/Warcraft III when it comes to making custom maps easy for players to share and play. And in my wildest dreams Relic would add the best CoH 2 fan maps to automatch more often than they did in CoH.
5 Jan 2013, 05:10 AM

I was under the impression that CoH2 would have map DLC, and as such Relic would avoid releasing tools to the community. If this is known to not be the case, then I'll definitely be around to dabble in mapping again.
1 of 2 Relic postsRelic 5 Jan 2013, 06:27 AM
Developer Relic Badge

We will be releasing the World Builder. It likely won't be at launch, sometime post-release; but we are doing it.

The World Builder is essentially the same as it exists today for vCoH. We've optimized it, so it runs a little more smoothly and we've removed some old, unused functionality (No more decals, only splats). In addition, we have some new features (Snow Painting, a really sleek LOS debug tool.

I'm going to try to do some video tutorials if I have the time... otherwise I'll write-up some up in text form. Hopefully it will help more players build their own maps.

As for support for custom maps; I agree, the Warcraft III download in client feature was pretty slick. I wish I could say we'll have that right off the bat, but I can't. In the future? Possibly - I can't say, unfortunately.
5 Jan 2013, 07:35 AM

We will be releasing the World Builder. It likely won't be at launch, sometime post-release; but we are doing it.

Well color me excited.

Then yeah, count me in. Too bad Crysis' sandbox has spoiled me a bit; going back to Worldbuilder a while back left me in want of FPS-style camera controls, but it really wasn't too bad. Would just need a bit to re familiarize myself then.

I also agree with Tycho - it'd be fucking slick if CoH2 could have integrated user map download abilities, and even something to just auto-download a custom map that's added to automatch, so maps like Argentan Crossroads and Bois could be added to AT and acquisition made a simple download at game loading or something like that.
5 Jan 2013, 07:39 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Well color me excited.

Then yeah, count me in. Too bad Crysis' sandbox has spoiled me a bit; going back to Worldbuilder a while back left me in want of FPS-style camera controls, but it really wasn't too bad. Would just need a bit to re familiarize myself then.

I also agree with Tycho - it'd be fucking slick if CoH2 could have integrated user map download abilities, and even something to just auto-download a custom map that's added to automatch, so maps like Argentan Crossroads and Bois could be added to AT and acquisition made a simple download at game loading or something like that.

Steam Workshop ftw!!!

oh and bob you is da bestest dev ever :D
5 Jan 2013, 13:43 PM
Benefactor 115

Yes, since coh2 is a steamworks game it may be useful to look at workshop as a distro solution
5 Jan 2013, 15:37 PM

and even something to just auto-download a custom map that's added to automatch, so maps like Argentan Crossroads and Bois could be added to AT and acquisition made a simple download at game loading or something like that.

auto download for automatch maps is highly unlikely, since it would have to be server side. i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work for custom games though, since it's peer to peer.
5 Jan 2013, 17:33 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Well, Steam can auto download anything it wants for a game - it's called a "patch," so I don't see why they couldn't just add custom maps the same way they always did for the first CoH. I mean, Relic has to check the maps first to make sure they're good, so the "auto" here is just that they get added to automatch without people having to do anything, but obviously that's the only way a map can get into automatch because it's not like us players would have the ability to add them manually.
5 Jan 2013, 17:57 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Good stuff Tribalbob. Thanks for the info.
5 Jan 2013, 18:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Like some said, Steamworks would be an ideal way to share custom content ;)
5 Jan 2013, 18:41 PM

It would be nice if the community or relic create a Bank / Archive .

All mappers could upload their creations there , some level headed members could check on the map for - Design , Artwork and balance and send notifications to the mappers - Accepted , Rejected ( with reason ) & Seek revision (Balance / Design / Art work) .

And all accepted maps could be put for downloads .This way at-least the mappers work would be understood and sometimes recognized .

P.S. I know it would require a lot of work and there would be little takers for the idea . Its worth a try though :)

5 Jan 2013, 19:30 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

@vina, ive been thinking about something like that in coh2.org :)
7 Jan 2013, 05:58 AM

Count me in, Brosef!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight