Login

russian armor

Lag optimization on the way!

18 Jan 2014, 00:52 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

So, I don't know that this has been mentioned before. I just asked Noun in the Relic stream about netcode optimization, and what he said was this:

Currently, the player with the worst connection brings everyone else down to that level, causing all players to experience lag.

They are going to add "Battle Servers"
which would act as an intermediary between players. This would mean that a laggy player would experience lag on their end, but the other players will not.
18 Jan 2014, 01:01 AM
Senior Editor Badge

owww..... servers?

nice one Relic. Now solve the problem with commander overlap.

18 Jan 2014, 01:19 AM

These are not dedicated servers as people have been asking for.

Instead, these are networking servers probably handling some of the data interchange between any players that are having sync and lag issues. Something like the NAT transversal servers some use. They will not be running game code or deciding event outcomes.

The overall game will still be peer to peer, but with the addition of something like an arbiter of network, keeping the data flowing between those.

Overall, if this is real, then it's a good midway between dedicated servers and peer to peer. Should be drastically cheaper than dedicated servers, but still keep the games flowing.
18 Jan 2014, 01:47 AM

sounds fantastic! this could be a gamechanger!
18 Jan 2014, 02:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2014, 01:19 AMTurtle
These are not dedicated servers as people have been asking for.

Instead, these are networking servers probably handling some of the data interchange between any players that are having sync and lag issues. Something like the NAT transversal servers some use. They will not be running game code or deciding event outcomes.

The overall game will still be peer to peer, but with the addition of something like an arbiter of network, keeping the data flowing between those.

Overall, if this is real, then it's a good midway between dedicated servers and peer to peer. Should be drastically cheaper than dedicated servers, but still keep the games flowing.

I got the impression when he called them "Battle Servers" it was something along those lines. What I reported in my first post was the description he gave about how it would change the way players experience lag.

I am interested to see how much it helps with the sync errors and such as well. I was in an epic 2v2 last night that lasted over an hour, we finally took the upper hand (barely), and I was kicked out of the game for a server error. I have close to 1000 games played, and this was one of the most epic, but it ended in a disconnect. Very disappointing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★