Login

russian armor

Tacmap Generator

14 Jan 2014, 22:21 PM

... someone needs to make one!

Is this too hard to automate?

I assume one would have to analyze the sgb file to find the position of roads, water, buildings, bushes, etc...
Relic, why isn't this file in some easy to read text format?! :mellow:
14 Jan 2014, 22:56 PM

Water is one thing but roads are just to complicated. Think of tracks or people using textures for splines in very creative ways - not only as roads.

I'd like to have a way to create maps without the need of using a grafics tool like ps or gimp but to make a mapgenerator it would mean to increase the work needed to create maps (markers for roads etc). In the end you would end up having less maps overall.

To be honest: I rather do not have a tactical map looking like the ones used by offical maps than having maps that are fun to play.

Edit: Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't the wb for coh1 have separate images showing at least the buildings?
14 Jan 2014, 23:02 PM

I found the easiest part of finishing a map was to make the tac map image. I understand if you don't have photoshop, but if you do, OnkelSam's tutorial is really easy to follow. Just download the template and all you have to do is trace your map with care. It also adds another layer of skill (though slight) to the map making process.

If you need help with your tac map, let me know, I would be willing to help out.
15 Jan 2014, 05:19 AM

Thank you, but I know my way around Photoshop, I am just always trying to find ways to make things easier :)

But after some thinking, I don't think it can be made easier than what OnkelSam already has done. Thank you OnkelSam :)
15 Jan 2014, 06:02 AM

.. I can't stop thinking...
some roads could be detected as textures with negative cover. But not all roads give negative cover..
15 Jan 2014, 12:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2014, 06:02 AMQvazar
.. I can't stop thinking...
some roads could be detected as textures with negative cover. But not all roads give negative cover..

And roads with negative cover must not only be used to create roads
15 Jan 2014, 16:06 PM
Honorary Member Badge

creating an automatic tactical map creation software or tool would take significant resources. All the labeling of splines that need to be traced, and which not, etc... At the same time, with some basic knowledge in graphics design software, it takes literaly 5 minutes to create a tac map. I highly doubt that Relic will invest the time into it (money money money)
15 Jan 2014, 16:29 PM

I highly doubt that Relic will invest the time into it (money money money)

Of course not, but others view it as a challenge ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★