Login

russian armor

Death to all the RNG gods

4 Jan 2014, 20:38 PM

i dream with a RNG free CoH2
4 Jan 2014, 20:40 PM
Donator 11

I'm actually one of those who the RNG doesn't bother me as much as others here but I would really enjoy these changes, makes total sense.

+1
4 Jan 2014, 20:44 PM

+1

good point and i completely agree with your ideas and hopefully this is fixed so more people can join the community
4 Jan 2014, 21:03 PM

I like the ideas. I think a little bit of RNG is ok but some of the RNG in this game is has a too large effect. There should always be room to adjust to minor setbacks and stuff like one-shotting full squads rather than being able to retreat isn't adding much to the game but rather it is damaging the game because the whole retreat and reinforcement mechanics of the game are just ignored.
4 Jan 2014, 21:18 PM

RNG is an important aspect of the game and I wouldn't want to miss it.

However:
The current amount of game deciding "dice rolls" is just ridiculous.

The current mechanics remind me a lot of the "Warhammer 40k" table top game I was playing years and years ago. (Still love the IP :))
...that's not a compliment for a pc game.
4 Jan 2014, 22:12 PM

+1 Really good post
4 Jan 2014, 22:18 PM

cannot agree :)
4 Jan 2014, 22:39 PM

Coming from vCOH there are a number of RNG events that just don't seem justified.

A lot came from careful adjustments to the much ballyhooed damage tables, I suspect. But COH2 RNG events often make no sense, like mines sometimes killing lots of dudes, whereas in vCOH they did lots of health damage, sometimes killing a guy or two, but not wiping squads. And if you were already low health, it made sense you would lose half the squad or more.

It makes no sense when the first two shots on an engineer squad blow up the fuel tank of the gun, it makes no sense when you can't judge where to toss a nade, it makes no sense when the first burst of a flamethrower kills two guys.

It's frustrating and makes no sense when rear rams fail. The whole mechanic is still questionable in my mind. The problem with an ability like that is they have to have some probability behind it, but I don't think many of us like to toss coins. We're good gamers and we want to know ahead of time that our micro is going to matter. I am fine with Gingung suggesting 100% ram success from rear. Front should probably stay about 50/50 for the Tiger Ace and such. A lot of issues with rams on the Tiger Ace are map dependent. For instance, on Semois, it's virtually impossible to kill one that's parked in the middle, because it's so easy to just back up into the water, making rear rams impossible.

But most RNG IS good. Tanks missing, quirky splash damage, suppression sometimes quicker, sometimes slower, all of that kind of stuff is fine. That's what makes COH COH.

4 Jan 2014, 23:31 PM

+1

The game shouldn't be about rolling the dice and microing.

BUT the game do need RNG, but in a less factor.
4 Jan 2014, 23:56 PM

Agreed on AT nades/Panzerfausts and skillplanes (minus the crash damage, that should not be reduced, it`s a friggin plane crash for gods sake).

The rest... no. Nerfing mines is nonsense and the chance of flamethrowers bursting was already lowered recently and is fine now.

As for the RAM ability. Destroying a main gun with a rear armour hit is such a BS. How is it destroyed if it didn`t even get touched?? So instead, let`s have 100% chance on destroyed main gun with either just a frontal hit or better yet a hit that actually comes into contact with the gun if such a hit detection is possible. Ramming the rear armor could (and should) be rewarded otherwise. For example with additional damage as well as 100% chance on (heavy) engine damage.
5 Jan 2014, 01:29 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Couldn't agree more with OP. RNG takes away the skill out of the game. When you beat your opponent you want to know you did it through your own ability not by some random role on a dice.

As for you comments about ram I think that what they should do is this:

-Rear hit should destroy the engine 100% + stun the crew.
-Side Rams should either destroy the main gun + stun the crew or give engine damage + stun the crew
-Front Rams should destroy the main gun + stun the crew but not do too much damage to the tank other than that.
5 Jan 2014, 02:16 AM

Couldn't agree more with OP. RNG takes away the skill out of the game. When you beat your opponent you want to know you did it through your own ability not by some random role on a dice.

-Side Rams should either destroy the main gun + stun the crew or give engine damage + stun the crew
-Front Rams should destroy the main gun + stun the crew but not do too much damage to the tank other than that.

Vehicles in this game do not have "side armor". The game engine only calculates front and rear.

I would like rear rams to have 100% chance of imobilization and gun damage and but only gun damage from the front.

Rams are probably the most hated ability in the game.
5 Jan 2014, 02:27 AM

+1 Good suggestions
5 Jan 2014, 05:21 AM

More or less agree.

Flamethrower explosion I kind of like =P

5 Jan 2014, 05:54 AM

Skillplanes

-remove the ~0,1% chance of pintle mounted machine guns to destroy airplanes
-increase the chance of ostwind and quad halftrack to destroy airplanes
-reduce the damage of shot down planes drastically

Bringing down airplanes by pure coincidence because you payed for a no-brainer anti-infantry upgrade on your tank is just dumb luck. Dedicated anti-air units should reliable bring down planes on the first pass.

I've seen a game were one crashed airplane destroyed two full health tanks. Even if it's rare, it should not do that much damage and decide games that way.

These were the biggest offenders i can think of. I secretly hope Nullist approves this, wherever he may be.

historically the only reason for a pintle mounted MG is to take down aircraft...
5 Jan 2014, 10:06 AM

Oh you just lost a shitload of respect from me. No way they should return an ability to full status that allowed the soviets to spam on type of tank over and over again. And with the thought the t-34 got some considerable buffs as well as soviet industry in mind i think you are obviously high.

That said i believe that some OS potential of some units should be reduced especially soviet mortars and mines. But RNG defines coh and forces you to adjust to an unexpected situation.
5 Jan 2014, 10:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jan 2014, 18:52 PMlink0

I understand the casual crowd generally loves all the RNG.

Different strokes for different folks. I play RTS games as a pure test of skill. I like the general gameplay of this game, but the RNG takes away from skill.

I say it increases the need for skill. you get a lot of unexpected situations that forces you to adept. Want play SC2 simply memorize your build order and that's. SC2 requires no strategy beyond that and micro.
5 Jan 2014, 10:24 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jan 2014, 10:06 AMJaigen

Oh you just lost a shitload of respect from me. No way they should return an ability to full status that allowed the soviets to spam on type of tank over and over again. And with the thought the t-34 got some considerable buffs as well as soviet industry in mind i think you are obviously high.

That said i believe that some OS potential of some units should be reduced especially soviet mortars and mines. But RNG defines coh and forces you to adjust to an unexpected situation.

Is it that hard to discuss something in a polite way?
5 Jan 2014, 11:22 AM
Patrion 14

While I think some RNG can have its place in an RTS (forming a strategy as to take out the risks over the long term and accounting for different probabilities in your actions), the game simply has far too many outcomes simply decided by luck. This occurrence mostly takes place in the first ~9 min or so due to very lucky squad crits, engine crits, and flame crits (among other things) that can swiftly win or lose you the match.

The game can have it's RNG - that's what makes Company of Heroes different than other RTS games - but it's simply too much at the moment to foster any real competition.
5 Jan 2014, 11:23 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You know, um…I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 54
unknown 18
Germany 14
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %