Login

russian armor

Is it okay if I advertise something CoH2-related here?

3 Jan 2014, 17:55 PM

I just posted this over on the official forum:

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/wishlist/15641-let-s-discuss-ideas-for-new-free-community-commanders

First of all, let me preface this by saying it's my idea, and not at all something affiliated with Relic. But hopefully we can change that, as I think it's a decent one.

I know a lot of you guys have expressed (often valid) disappointment at Relic's lack of community interaction in the past, and so I have come up with the fairly unoriginal idea of trying to get some community-designed commanders together. It's all in the link, but the basic rule is that these would contain vanilla-ish stuff (i.e. no brand new vehicle models) and so wouldn't put people off buying DLC commanders.

The general idea is that we get as many people as possible to contribute, and perhaps then Relic will pick up the idea. They've done it in the past (with the added expense of having to fly people out to Vancouver...) with the two Defensive commanders, so I thought there may be a possibility of doing another pair that had been designed by the CoH2 community at large. How we do it is the devil in the details, but it could be with polls or just general discussion - whatever.

In theory this would be very cheap for Relic to do, and it would have the net benefit of demonstrating that they listen to the community and are happy to take part in more community-based stuff, like they did with vCoH.

What do you guys think? Reckon we could drum up some support over here at COH2.org?
3 Jan 2014, 20:22 PM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Sounds like a good idea to help strengthen and build the community. Hopefully with some proper discussion we could all come up with some very interesting ideas that could improve the balance.
4 Jan 2014, 13:53 PM
Patrion 14

Promotional work should get a seperate forum, makes my work easier to manage and lets people brainstorm in an organised fashion without spamming ideas in a forum dedicated to other stuff...
5 Jan 2014, 05:04 AM

"10"-fold (2 CP, 360 Manpower, 45 Munitions): NKVD Infantry from the 10th NKVD Division are made available to reinforce your lines. Politically 'reliable' troops such as these led by low-ranking Commissars held the local non-government infantry and civilian populace alike in the grips of absolute terror, as they could 'do no wrong'. 6 man unit (1x commissar model, 5x Maxim MG gunner model), 80 HP/man, 1.5 armor. 1x Con PPSh, 2x SVT-40, 3x Con M1893/30 Mosin-Nagant. Can throw Molotovs, build sandbags and barbed wire, and interrogate enemy wounded. Use Penal Troops squad animator (e.g. the Penals voice). 30 manpower/man reinforce.

Regional Commissariat (3 CP, 400 Manpower): A four-man squad including a local Commissar and three Guards infantrymen is made available to bolster morale at the front--or crush the dissent of any would be 'traitors'. 80 HP/man, 1.5 armor across the board. 36 manpower/reinforce. 1x Nagant revolver, 1x DP-28, 2x Guards M1893/30 Mosin-Nagants. Default aura (45m, tied to Commissar model leading the unit): Accuracy 1.15, Weapon Cooldown 0.85, Sight +5m. At Vet 2, Aura also heals infantry within the radius at a rate of 0.035/minute (about equal to the vCoH Vet1 heal rate that WM units gained). If killed, the surrounding infantry will be shattered and forced to retreat.

Fear Propaganda Artillery(4 CP, same crapola we get now). Blech.

Red Orchestra (4 CP, same cost as Katyusha): An early model of Katyusha mounting 82mm rockets is made available. Originally given only to 'reliable' NKVD units, rocket trucks such as this provided fearsome covering barrages at battles such as the initial Soviet crossing of the Volga. Mounting lighter rockets, this truck can fire them twice as quickly as normal Katyushas. (statistically identical to the normal Katyusha, including its weapon, but has the cooldown timer on its barrage abilities cut in half. Hardcapped at 3.)

For Mother Russia (6 CP, same crapola we get now). Blech.

Ta-daa, early game infantry focused commander that's not total crap and isn't ridiculously OP...and I drew this up in about 20 minutes. GG Relic.
5 Jan 2014, 20:21 PM

Hi, I really like this concept so I'll throw a few of my ideas into the pot.

I focused on the Ostheer because I really like the free Soviet doctrines & think they're quite strong (admittedly this could be a play style thing) whereas I find the free Ostheer ones in comparison somewhat lacking, Festung & Assault support are ok but just don't quite gel for me & the others I just generally dislike much prefering the CE doctrines, Lightning war & Joint Ops doctrine for example have sat in my load out since the day they were released.

I decided to give both an offensive & defensive doctrine a try & this is the result. Both doctrines are based around the "Ambush camo" ability as I really like the idea but feel it doesn't shine in the current load outs its included in. I also only used free abilities as it appears the paid dlc ones are being kept as exclusive but imo theres enough room to maneuver without their addition as the base skill set is pretty vast as it is.

Disclaimer- this post is all based off of my perceptions of units/ abilities/ commanders not established use/ current meta. Any opinions expressed may be complete BS! :3

Kleine Krieg Doctrine

1) G43 recce kit
2) Panzer smoke
3) Ambush camo
4) Command tank
5) Stuka close air support

The Offensive doctrine- The idea behind this doctrine was take & hold, G43's provide grens with real stopping power & panzer smoke means you can pull out your armour to reengage elsewhere when a well entrenched enemy denies you your push.

With surgical strikes to cut offs in mind Ambush camo gives your infantry abit of bite for the inevitable drive to take vital points back & they're assisted by the additional staying power provided by the P4 command tank. However if holding such a position is untenable the P4 also allows you to shore up a 2nd defensive line in your own (established) territory allowing a safe retreat path when you've held that point as long as possible or if you are unable to cap the desired point thus not enabling the P4's bonuses.

All of which is complimented by the Stuka air support (another underrated abiility imo often overlooked due its 120 muni strafing brethren).

I also wanted a free doctrine with Panzer smoke & G43's, its a nice armour/ infantry combo that I feel should be available to everyone. In all honesty I don't think my variation of a commander utilising these two abilities will be to alot players tastes but I'd like the idea talked about & maybe other players will post their desired variations (if they haven't done so already).

Counter Artillery Doctrine.

1) Artillery Officer
2) Mortar halftrack
3) Riegal AT mines
4) Ambush camo
5) LeFH howi

The Defensive doctrine- For me this doctrine is a dream! I really like Storm doctrines idea of using Riegals & camo'd schrecks to deal with Soviet armour but feel it adds little else to goad the Soviet into committing it.

I also wanted to give the Officer a chance to shine, not that he doesn't but having 3 doctrinal units working in a symbiotic fashion that also acts like a glove to the face of the Soviet player seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up & thus my 3 other abilities were decided. The indirect fire provided by this doctrine is immense & comes with the added option of having the Officer coordinate it!

I really thought long & hard about how to describe how this doctrine plays out using the above method of basic examples but I just can't do it xD the options are nigh on limitless in my head, it takes the best of Festung support, Joint Ops & Storm doctrines options & almagamates them into a perfect support doctrine.

With Storm doctrine I feel you're screwed if you become ammo starved as its abit of a one trick pony so you end up with a crappy LeFH doctrine (I mean wasted slots with the awesome howi! not that its crap^^) & with Joint Ops its the same if you're bleeding manpower heavily as you'll never get the chance to set up either of your big hitters & it has little else to fall back on.

Festung support meets them in the middle but imo wastes 2 slots. Smoke bombs are unneeded because you have the mortar option & I find the planes timing too unreliable & Relief infantry which was situational/ borderline useful before the Ostruppen change is now completely useless as Ostruppen no longer have a place outside of a doctrine not built around them.

I intentionally left out the recce run plane as I find its an incredibly powerful tool, especially when coupled with artillery. I also wanted to avoid offmap call ins, they're strong & have a place in the game but I wanted the focus on this doctrine to be on unit abilities & upgrades rather than called in support. I believe this encourages scouting & using Ambush camo for spotters making it a more proactive approach to the use of forces provided.

P.S. I'm crap at naming so they got crappy unimaginative names, sorry!
5 Jan 2014, 20:35 PM
Patrion 14

Great stuff, keep it coming people!
5 Jan 2014, 21:33 PM

Yes, those are great ideas, I want to see more!

The idea here is to try and get the community involved, so you have made a really good start there. :)

Incidentally, over on the official forum someone had a similar idea to your Counter-Artillery Doctrine...

Artillery Doctrine:

- Recon Overflight
- GrW 42 120mm Mortar Team
- SdKfz 165 Hummel 150mm Self-Propelled Artillery (to be able to lock down to increase its rate of fire and range)
- Redistribute Resources
- Railway Artillery Support

Thought it was quite interesting.

PS: Could a mod please change the thread title to 'Ideas for new free 'Community' commanders' - thank you!
5 Jan 2014, 21:50 PM
Patrion 14

Yeah well, I'm trying to give this a special place, working on it :)
6 Jan 2014, 00:06 AM

@ James Hale- Yes it is interesting & thats why I like the idea, it shows how different play styles would use similar concepts.

Mine relies on drawing armour into a predetermined kill zone & then using the mobility of the Mortar half track to push up & take advantage of any gaps left in the ambushes wake with the contingency that should I lack the ability to finish off any vehicles I can simply ignore them for a period as they will be sat with a destroyed engine so the Mortar half track can still safely scoot around them & continue bombarding wherever my new chosen front is.

My spotting relies on snipers/ camo'd grens to do the leg work with maybe a scout car assisting but has several smoke options for those times you just have to gtfo xD (Officer, Mortar half track). While its designed with that in mind you're not bound by it (looking at you Storm doctrine!). The Officer doesn't have a single bad ability & the same can be said of the half track, using either or both in a more offence orientated manner is highly possible & allows you to adapt post commander selection (I believe both Spearhead & Joint Ops are brilliant for this in the current available commanders).

His seems to be based around using recce planes to find a weak point then using a fully mobile artillery group to move into position & shell that point. Using muni conversion he'd be able to tool up his force & make more liberal use of both his off maps as well as units individual abilities at the cost of armoured presence & maybe tech. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood & I can't really go into more depth with it as I'm not sure on his vision for the additional units or if I've misinterpreted the elements already within the game.

Either way good job for all those getting involved, hopefully Relic will take note & kudos for the initiative James ;) I really look forward to seeing what other people come up with, especially for Soviets as I can't think of anything that will make me remove Guard rifle combined arms, Shock army & either Shock rifle frontline or Guard motor coordination from my slots!
10 Jan 2014, 03:51 AM

bump
10 Jan 2014, 16:50 PM
Patrion 14

Combat Engineer / Urban Ops Commander

Tank traps

Shocks

Demo charges for engies / scripts

Flame Tank

IL-2

10 Jan 2014, 17:37 PM

Lend/lease act for Soviets

Kangaroo Carrier

British Staghound

1 sec Arty Drop

Lockdown territory with double amount of res gain

Strafing run

EDIT: Only 2.99$
13 Jan 2014, 23:39 PM

^Thank you for the honest (totally not sarcastic, trolling, and generally out of place whilst in this thread) response.
15 Jan 2014, 11:20 AM
Patrion 14

Keep it decent guys.
16 Jan 2014, 03:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jan 2014, 05:04 AMVolsky

Red Orchestra (4 CP, same cost as Katyusha): An early model of Katyusha mounting 82mm rockets is made available. Originally given only to 'reliable' NKVD units, rocket trucks such as this provided fearsome covering barrages at battles such as the initial Soviet crossing of the Volga. Mounting lighter rockets, this truck can fire them twice as quickly as normal Katyushas. (statistically identical to the normal Katyusha, including its weapon, but has the cooldown timer on its barrage abilities cut in half. Hardcapped at

Somehow I feel like a 4cp, no tier needed katyusha that has a 200% rate of fire is not balanced.................... Not that you or I have tested this....

Sounds wack to me. joke?
16 Jan 2014, 03:40 AM

Permanently Banned
2 CP panzer smoke
3 CP 4xg43
4 CP redistribute resources
4 CP recon run
12 CP vet 3 Tiger and the crew is the Expendables team, no accuracy penalty while moving, 50 % faster reload speed, moving speed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★