Login

russian armor

Rivers/Bridges

22 Dec 2013, 23:21 PM

Salutions,

seems like rivers or bridges are not received with much love.
Why is that so, and should I remove the river from my map?
22 Dec 2013, 23:24 PM
Patrion 14

Bridges lead to chokepoints thus removing some strategic options. Players can park their entire army at the chokepoint and beat the hell out of the enemy who tries to cross it. However, bridgemaps can be much fun and if you make some other crossable points ( for example, shallow places which are only crossable by infantry ) bridges and rivers can work out nicely in maps :)
22 Dec 2013, 23:27 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

bridges are met with skepticism because they are choke points and most maps implement them very poorly.
In most maps bridges are the only way to cross a certain part of the map which makes the game play very campy.
I personally have no problem with bridges and I even like them if there are enough alternatives available (mud, low water or just indestructiable bridges like on semoisky)
22 Dec 2013, 23:47 PM

Well on my map there is a big river through the middle part with a transition in the middle (vehicles go very slow through that) and 2 footbridges + a larger bridge for vehicles on each side of that transition, so it has 7 places to traverse over the river. However, one side of the transition is easy to defend because all troops have to go through one point, I may add something there though (the map isn't even close to finish). Is that enough (even with these little chokepoints just mentioned), or should I do something about it?

Here is an image, you can check out more via the link in my signature

Thanks for your opinions
22 Dec 2013, 23:50 PM
Patrion 14

To be honest, I think seven transitions is a bit too much ,it's only 2v2 max. Less skilled players can get flanked beyond their capabilities and that makes it less fun to play. I do like your concept however :)
Maybe one or two points less on each side will work better, I think. Keep up the good work, I'll certainly test the map once it's ready !
22 Dec 2013, 23:57 PM

Wow, thanks ^^
Hmm, I only tested it against AI so I don't really know about it being too hard. I would not consider myself skilled at all (I barely played CoH, and when I did it was compstomp), but all I did was place barbwire in front of the foot bridges on the top and a mg bunker infront of the larger bridge, at the bottom I only used an mg bunker. Played against medium AI, but it never actually tried to get a vehicle over the bridge, only infantry and they always got pinned to hell. But I can imagine that 95% of the playerbase could do better lol, I'll take your thoughts in consideration
23 Dec 2013, 00:04 AM
Patrion 14

I'm not a skilled player either, but I actually love compstomps lol so for me, your map is ideal but there lies the danger with bridgemaps. They are great fun for defensive players but for aggressive players, they can be a real pain in the ass :p you just got to find the right compromise :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★