Login

russian armor

Natural Selection 2

22 Dec 2012, 13:07 PM

Does anyone here play it? it's one awesome game, i pre-ordered it because i loved the original and i was not dissapointed.

For any of you who don't know what it is, its basically a fps/rts hybrid with two faction, One called frontiersman which are human soldiers against an alien race called Kharaa,and their battling it out in different space stations.

Each faction is led by a commander, and the commander gets to see everything from strategic view, and is the one who drops down buildings for players to build and gives them orders of what to do.

Teamwork is the key for winning a match, without it there is no way of achieving victory.
The objective for winning is to destroy all command stations/ hives.
Check it out if you havent, i belive there is a sale right now on it in steam.
23 Dec 2012, 06:12 AM
Senior Caster Badge

This is one of my favorite games of all time. It's not as good as the original NS but it's still super amazing. If anyone is interesting in checking it out before buying it, I have a bunch of tutorials, some semi-serious games with commentary, and some competitive clan matches with shoutcasts on my YouTube channel in this playlist. I can't recommend this game enough.
23 Dec 2012, 09:25 AM

Damn, I want to play this a lot but why the hell it costs so much? It's just a mod, no? It suffers from low number of players online just because of it.
23 Dec 2012, 11:07 AM

The original was a mod to half life 1, but NS2 is a standalone game developed with its own engine.
Right now it only costs 13,79 € which is a 40% decrease from its original price and i can say that it is fairly cheap and it's definitely worth getting, even for its original price imo.

Currently there is enough people playing that you will always be able to find various of servers with a decent amount of players in it to play on, so no it is not suffering of low number of players. You're probably thinking of the original Natrual Selection which has like only 2 active servers i think.

EDIT: Sweet YT channel Tycho :)
23 Dec 2012, 18:34 PM

Game is awesome, but can be easily ruined by idiot teammates/commander. Either be ready to not stress over it, or don't buy it.
23 Dec 2012, 18:57 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2012, 09:25 AMrejfor
Damn, I want to play this a lot but why the hell it costs so much? It's just a mod, no? It suffers from low number of players online just because of it.

Haha, costs so much. Compared to CoH 2 it doesn't cost anything. It's not a mod, it's a full game, and it suffers from low player numbers because it's a complex and interesting game that appeals to people who like teamwork instead of earning XP to unlock their next gun. It's fast paced and brutal and if you just like to run around earning achievements you won't like the game. That's why NS had a die-hard fanbase that stuck around for a decade even if it wasn't always huge, and that's why NS2 always has games going even though it doesn't sell 100,000 copies.
23 Dec 2012, 19:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Haha, costs so much. Compared to CoH 2 it doesn't cost anything. It's not a mod, it's a full game, and it suffers from low player numbers because it's a complex and interesting game that appeals to people who like teamwork instead of earning XP to unlock their next gun. It's fast paced and brutal and if you just like to run around earning achievements you won't like the game. That's why NS had a die-hard fanbase that stuck around for a decade even if it wasn't always huge, and that's why NS2 always has games going even though it doesn't sell 100,000 copies.

i might pick it up later sounds like a game i could get into.
4 Jan 2013, 23:10 PM

I recently picked this game up. I had always watched videos of the original out of fun, but never really played the game.

I played it briefly last night as a Marine, and surprisingly, it wasnt as "tough" as I thought it would be, but the tactical possibilities were HUGE when the team has a good commander!

Any chance you guys can recommend a server or group to learn the ropes?
5 Jan 2013, 04:49 AM

Yeah this game is fantastic. Been playing it a bit lately. Most team-based fps game I've ever played tbh, good fun.

Watch out for a clan called "noGG", they are fucking douches and recycle all the Marines stuff mid-game. You see them as commander don't bother playing.
5 Jan 2013, 07:18 AM
Honorary Member Badge

i did pick it up and i have to say awesome!!!

we need an awesome face devs
5 Jan 2013, 20:15 PM

It is insane how important a commander is, too. You can have a medicore team with a great commander and beat a good team with a bad commander, given that the players follow orders properly.

Very nice game idneed.

5 Jan 2013, 21:08 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Scarytown, the Penny Arcade server, is the one I play on all the time (74.63.253.114:19990) and it's very noob friendly.
6 Jan 2013, 04:16 AM

While I didn't play NS, it's much like Tremulous which I played for years.

It also has the same difficult balance problem Tremulous did - Humans require high levels of teamwork, and Aliens have a much higher individual skill ceiling. The two don't work well together in the pub environment.

It also has another humorous similarity - everyone on the official forums making ridiculous excuses as to why the skewed winrates don't matter.

But don't get me wrong, Tremulous was one of my favorite games of all time and NS2 is pretty good too, especially if you haven't played anything like it before.

6 Jan 2013, 05:29 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Aliens require a lot of teamwork too. At the competitive level of play the teams require just as much teamwork.
7 Jan 2013, 00:12 AM

Competitive is 5v5, which is almost a completely different game anyway. On top of the huge skill difference.
7 Jan 2013, 07:09 AM

Got NS2 and loving it! Just played my first game as commander - there is something special playing commander when you know what its like to be the one running around. Planning on playing it next lan party with my friends :). Also thanks for the videos Tycho! Watched all of the marine and alien "how to play" ones and it helped me be ready for online play.
7 Jan 2013, 17:28 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

This thread would benefit from some screenshots. And yes, I am too lazy to google it.
7 Jan 2013, 17:56 PM
Senior Caster Badge

16 Jan 2013, 07:21 AM
Senior Caster Badge

New patch out. Tons of awesome fixes and updates. Docking got a major redesign and it sounds pretty cool.
16 Jan 2013, 08:08 AM

Sweetness! Docking has been simply frustrating for marines, look forward to playing the new. Nothing else too crazy, besides adjusting hitboxes and fixing stuff.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 36
unknown 24
Poland 12
unknown 6
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L