Login

russian armor

MG 42 The Most Useless Unit In The Game

PAGES (13)down
27 Nov 2013, 00:22 AM

So the MG 42 , lets look at the facts .

1. It will not even suppress one squad running right up to it from the front.
2. Its appalling set up time only adds to the uselessness of this unit
3. It will not suppress a squad at long range (especially with vet)
4. Its overpriced, 240 manpower for a kill me for free human shield that fires pieces of paper.
5. Its wider arc of fire is useless when it can not deal with anything in this area.

The MG 42 is hands down the worst unit and least cost effective out of any other unit in the entire game.

Now lets look at the MG 42's counterpart the Maxim, This super infantry meat grinder is extremely cost effective and will pin down multiple squads at long range, short range and medium range , its super fast set up times means it can quickly suppress 1 squad at an angle pack up and fire at a totally different unit in another location in a few seconds. 1 or 2 of these maxims in the right place can stop entire infantry armies easily. This is completely the opposite of what the MG 42 is.

I would prefer a smaller cone for the MG 42 in exchange for this unit to actually fulfill a role on the battlefield and actually make an impact just like the Maxim. The MG 42 was the best machine gun in the entire war , its performance in this game is doing this pinnacle of military technology a great disservice.
27 Nov 2013, 00:37 AM

I tend to agree. useless, no. overnerfed, yes.
27 Nov 2013, 01:27 AM

The IRL argument is not really important for balance, but I agree that the MG42 was overnerfed. It just needs better suppression again.
27 Nov 2013, 02:07 AM

MG-42 suffers from its big arc of fire. It can't suppress quicker because it will again be close to the silliness of early CoH2 balance.
I still find the unit useful and don't have games without it.
Majority of German players don't use this unit in a correct way though and I suspect that this is the case with opening post. You have to think of this unit as of something that will come a bit later to the skirmish and it will nail already engaged enemy units and seal their fate.
To tell the long story short always keep it behind your lines it's a defensive unit and an offensive use will get punished. It's not a Maxim.
27 Nov 2013, 02:17 AM

MG-42 suffers from its big arc of fire. It can't suppress quicker because it will again be close to the silliness of early CoH2 balance.
I still find the unit useful and don't have games without it.
Majority of German players don't use this unit in a correct way though and I suspect that this is the case with opening post. You have to think of this unit as of something that will come a bit later to the skirmish and it will nail already engaged enemy units and seal their fate.
To tell the long story short always keep it behind your lines it's a defensive unit and an offensive use will get punished. It's not a Maxim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4urM3QSWwf0
27 Nov 2013, 02:21 AM

Don't worry (I'm in beta).

There are far bigger issues.

27 Nov 2013, 02:33 AM

This semi ironic comment actually made me chuckle, until I realized that I'm in the beta as well and I know what's coming.
27 Nov 2013, 03:00 AM

Brace Yourselves!
27 Nov 2013, 04:22 AM

So the MG 42 , lets look at the facts .

1. It will not even suppress one squad running right up to it from the front.
2. Its appalling set up time only adds to the uselessness of this unit
3. It will not suppress a squad at long range (especially with vet)
4. Its overpriced, 240 manpower for a kill me for free human shield that fires pieces of paper.
5. Its wider arc of fire is useless when it can not deal with anything in this area.

The MG 42 is hands down the worst unit and least cost effective out of any other unit in the entire game.

Now lets look at the MG 42's counterpart the Maxim, This super infantry meat grinder is extremely cost effective and will pin down multiple squads at long range, short range and medium range , its super fast set up times means it can quickly suppress 1 squad at an angle pack up and fire at a totally different unit in another location in a few seconds. 1 or 2 of these maxims in the right place can stop entire infantry armies easily. This is completely the opposite of what the MG 42 is.

I would prefer a smaller cone for the MG 42 in exchange for this unit to actually fulfill a role on the battlefield and actually make an impact just like the Maxim. The MG 42 was the best machine gun in the entire war , its performance in this game is doing this pinnacle of military technology a great disservice.

+
27 Nov 2013, 05:41 AM

I actualy find the MG being wonderful at locking down areas...and on the contrary surpresses multiple squads if infantry is blobed up,I don't know what more do you expect from it...should it have the ability to revive the dead at vet3?
27 Nov 2013, 05:58 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I don't know what more do you expect from it...should it have the ability to revive the dead at vet3?

Revive the dead, no... Just the ability to suppress in one full burst on conscripts charging.
27 Nov 2013, 07:11 AM

Heh, we may need another beta leak.

Anyway, I agree that the MG42 needs tweaking, but any direct buff to its suppression ability would bring things dangerously close to the pre-nerf MG42 status, and that was grinding the game down, which was why it got hit with such a nerf bat.

The MG42 actually does suppress in one full burst, the real problem is that yellow cover negates a chunk of that, and the MG42's lone sight isn't enough to see units far away without a spotter. So conscripts will usually be able to oorah into range and throw a molotov.

The problem after that is if you increase the suppression such that the MG42 can suppress a conscript squad as it closes in with the random bits of yellow cover, that would increase the suppression to the point where it's effective in all situations, and insanely effective if properly supported.

Change is definitely going to come, it needs to come.
27 Nov 2013, 07:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Nov 2013, 07:11 AMTurtle
Heh, we may need another beta leak.

Anyway, I agree that the MG42 needs tweaking, but any direct buff to its suppression ability would bring things dangerously close to the pre-nerf MG42 status, and that was grinding the game down, which was why it got hit with such a nerf bat.

The MG42 actually does suppress in one full burst, the real problem is that yellow cover negates a chunk of that, and the MG42's lone sight isn't enough to see units far away without a spotter. So conscripts will usually be able to oorah into range and throw a molotov.

The problem after that is if you increase the suppression such that the MG42 can suppress a conscript squad as it closes in with the random bits of yellow cover, that would increase the suppression to the point where it's effective in all situations, and insanely effective if properly supported.

Change is definitely going to come, it needs to come.

It wasn't the standard MG42 that was the problem, it was the MG42 with the bulletin which made it ridiculous. Then it got nerfed to hell with the bulletin in mind.

If it was brought back to pre-nerf levels with the bulletin removed, then the MG42 would be perfect.
27 Nov 2013, 08:32 AM
Donator 22

the most worst thing is, when a conscript squad oraaahhhs straight into you firing MG42... throwing a molotov and retreats.
Byebye flank or locking down areas
27 Nov 2013, 08:54 AM

I'm starting to get demoralised...
27 Nov 2013, 09:00 AM

I use HMG42 regularly and find it pretty well balanced, but I am sure that if german fanbois cry long enough and make enough posts about it it will get OP again.

So keep crying!
27 Nov 2013, 09:56 AM
Benefactor 115

I use HMG42 regularly and find it pretty well balanced, but I am sure that if german fanbois cry long enough and make enough posts about it it will get OP again.

you must be sovjet fanboi, post playercard!!11
27 Nov 2013, 10:04 AM

I think the MG42 only needed a nerf to its survivability, and the bulletins. The probem was that it was a beast when confronted head on, as it should be, but still could survive a flank. It shouldnt be both, and I think the main problem is that unlike the team behind vCOH, this one seems to have noe idea or vision of what the MG42 should be.

Compared to the maxim, wich I have been spamming a lot lately, its an extremely inneficient weapon.
27 Nov 2013, 10:21 AM

This has been claimed several times. And good players have patiently explained several times why it is a misunderstanding. But not this time.

I suggest you look around on the forum for the many other 'why can't I make MG42 work'-threads.
27 Nov 2013, 10:33 AM

This has been claimed several times. And good players have patiently explained several times why it is a misunderstanding. But not this time.

I suggest you look around on the forum for the many other 'why can't I make MG42 work'-threads.

So basicly your oppinion is the right one, and you wount share it?
PAGES (13)down
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Livestreams

Germany 665
unknown 14
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %