Login

russian armor

Cut off points

20 Nov 2013, 10:51 AM

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum but Ive been reading some of the strategies explained on here and they have been helpful to my game. However, Ive seen the phrase cut - off used quite a lot and I was hoping someone could explain exactly what this is and an example of one to be found somewhere so i can look for them for myself in future.

Thanks
20 Nov 2013, 10:55 AM
24 Nov 2013, 19:24 PM

Ya, that is true in COH1, but not here. In COH2, a cut off refers to a point that the enemy has to move through in order to proceed to a section of the map. For example, on semoisky? I believe it is, you have the island section in between the two bases. A cutoff point would be the bridges that lead from the base to the island. By getting an mg there early game, you're cutting the opponent off from the rest of the map, and if the mg is in a building, you are forcing your opponent to either get a motar, or dedicate significant manpower and attention to take it out. Late game, use it to funnel troops and armor together and use artillery or to prevent flanking of units like the SU or at guns.
24 Nov 2013, 21:21 PM
Patrion 26

Ya, that is true in COH1, but not here. In COH2, a cut off refers to a point that the enemy has to move through in order to proceed to a section of the map. For example, on semoisky? I believe it is, you have the island section in between the two bases. A cutoff point would be the bridges that lead from the base to the island. By getting an mg there early game, you're cutting the opponent off from the rest of the map, and if the mg is in a building, you are forcing your opponent to either get a motar, or dedicate significant manpower and attention to take it out. Late game, use it to funnel troops and armor together and use artillery or to prevent flanking of units like the SU or at guns.

It the same shit in CoH2
27 Nov 2013, 01:01 AM

No, not nearly as much so. In CoH1, a cut off point would usually refer to cutting off fuel and munitions and it was far easier to do so. In CoH2, with the new resource mechanic, you don't have to control fuel to win. Just have more standard points.
27 Nov 2013, 03:22 AM
Honorary Member Badge

it is still by definition a cutoff. your beef is with the resource/point system. The line is long for that one, here you can get in line behind me. :P
28 Nov 2013, 17:56 PM

I don't deny that ;) As stated earlier, I just believe that cutoff has changed definitions a bit with the new resource system.
29 Nov 2013, 01:11 AM

In COH2, a cut off refers to a point that the enemy has to move through in order to proceed to a section of the map. For example, on semoisky? I believe it is, you have the island section in between the two bases. A cutoff point would be the bridges that lead from the base to the island.

the definition has not changed. what youre describing here is a choke point.
29 Nov 2013, 03:08 AM

well have cutoff the day Relic will add quality MP commmunity maps and release some vCOH classical.
29 Nov 2013, 15:10 PM

Permanently Banned
Cutoff now (unfortunately) has come to mean simply severing the line of resources to a players base, to deny him influx from those points. Not only around the base sector, but anywhere.

Some maps still feature slightly buggish sector delineations where you can perform a cutoff without your opponent being aware of it, since the sliver of territory cut is so narrow you practically have to zoom on the map to see it, or your opponent might think he has cutyou of, but actually you are still connected.

These sectors need remapping, and I dont think it would be a bad idea to delineate them more clearly on the mini and tactical map, even though that might end up cluttering it even further.

Nonetheless, in order to actually be sure of a cutoff, you currently have to practically examine the entire sectors perimeter with a magnifying glass...

Map modding, ftw.
29 Nov 2013, 19:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Nov 2013, 15:10 PMNullist
Cutoff now (unfortunately) has come to mean simply severing the line of resources to a players base, to deny him influx from those points. Not only around the base sector, but anywhere.

Some maps still feature slightly buggish sector delineations where you can perform a cutoff without your opponent being aware of it, since the sliver of territory cut is so narrow you practically have to zoom on the map to see it, or your opponent might think he has cutyou of, but actually you are still connected.

These sectors need remapping, and I dont think it would be a bad idea to delineate them more clearly on the mini and tactical map, even though that might end up cluttering it even further.

Nonetheless, in order to actually be sure of a cutoff, you currently have to practically examine the entire sectors perimeter with a magnifying glass...

Map modding, ftw.

Or, you could simply look at the mini map to see if the territories are flashing or not. Territories that are getting capped/decapped, or are cut-off from connecting territory, will flash on the mini map.
29 Nov 2013, 19:26 PM
Patrion 14

Actually think that cutoff territories are not flashing bright enough. Sometimes I have to look at the map really long to determine if a zone is cut off or not. In CoH1 I kind of remmeber this was reather easy to see. Cant be bothered to install it again just to check out though, connection to crappy
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★