Login

russian armor

Team game basic guide/tips for low+med ranks

11 Apr 2021, 10:37 AM

I've played a lot of team games here and COH since COH1. I prefer teamgames rather than 1v1. I'd like to write a bit about this skill bracket from an ALLIED main point of view in order to help Allied mains win more random team games, and more importantly, have more fun and increase teamwork even if you lose to encourage less ragequitting and more perserverence and resilience in the playerbase. I'm aware this is watered down regarding skill and decision making and that it doesn't necessarily apply to all games. It is a basic guide and my ranting. Enjoy, I hope it proves useful. It is written from the point of view that you want to work together to have a long fun battlefest, not that you are joining a teamgame to 1v1 your lane all game and leave if you get pinned by an MG42.

Lets begin.

In 4v4 you have more chances of winning if you work together, and this might involve you as an individual deciding to take one the following role IN ORDER TO allow other players to fulfuil their roles. I have lost many games where we were ahead but someone ahs started to do random things leaving a flank exposed and either instantly, or gradually causing a loss.

Types of players:
1. Bunker - Dictated by your position, you will either be Defending/Anchoring/Bunkering your home vp/fuel.

Your Home vp/fuel is the the naturally closest and therefore easiest to reinforce. It can be useful to triple and win this from the start in 4v4. As a bunker player you must try to ensure a steady flow of fuel and VP's for your team by defending this area with suppression, mines and anti-tank. Anti tank guns are strong, use them.

2. Contesting - Dictated by your position, you will be helping def the home VP/Fuel and also helping control mid. You grind all game for mid and defend your lines when needed. It is important to set up defensive lines so that you can focus on other things while having the suppression/at ready to defend.

3. Flex/ - In 4v4 you will often lose a fuel (this will be covered later) assuming you don't have incompetant players(which this guide and player types aims to reduce) you will have the luxury of being flexible. Once you have SETUP DEFENCES TO STOP A BREAKTHROUGHG ON THE FLANK, you can decide to pressure the enemy home fuel/vp, or move to help mid. You can flank other fights which is extremely powerful.

If you are able to distinguish being one of these players, and adopt a small amount of strategy with your team rather than playing solo, you increase your chances of a long fun game, or even winning. Identifying and playing to a role, building your army accordingly, can greatly help. As can simply having your OWN strategy as long as it works (6 cons no please, 3 cons mg/mortar/atg yes please) and can help your team when needed

Fuel:
In 3v3 but 4v4 especially, you are rushing fuels. 2 players go to one, 2 players to the other. You MUST bear in mind the common strategies used by Axis. Here are a few tips.

1. Damage over time and the MG42. The longer you can make the initial fight last before you have to retreat, the better chances you have of winning it. Be expecting the MG42 and avoid/flank/stall for a counter if possible. Do not walk into its suppression if you can help it, you will not brute force take it out at this stage of the game. Send in your engis to draw initial fire and trying to flank helps, as does rushing to find it while it's moving up if possible. Im aware this isn't usually possible as Axis naturally have an easier time in 4v4 due to their units and the maps. This is why you must work together and be mindful of the strategies to be used against you.
2. Sturms
* Single sturms can be overwhelming but they will often overextend at this skill level. You must kite them if they do this into your second squad and have your second squad in a position to put dps onto them without letting them get close.
*Double Sturm openings are not too common but are something to be prepared for. Be ready for it if you havnt found your opponent yet. As soon as you see them, fall back. Give up everything and focus on winning that individual fight. Backup to your second or even third squad and try to spread out to get distance and dps on them. They are expensive, fragile, and ultimately more punishing to the OKW than you.

3. Tripling and contesting fuels. Sometimes, depending on the map and ultimately your teammates, tripling a fuel to win it and bunker it can help massively. You must decide based on your position and the type of role you aim to take on in the game. Likewise, blinding pushing into 2 separate 2v2's to contest will often cause the allied team to lose both fuels and force a surrender.

__

As such, IT IS GREATLY BENEFICIAL to secure a fuel with teamwork and move to contest mid and only put enough pressure on the enemies home vp/fuel to not allow a breakthrough or buy time to move if you sense one is coming. I cannot stress this enough, as it is the main factor to get to lategame in 4v4. Axis are stronger here too but being wiped off the map due to no home/fuel income and surrendering is worse we can all agree.

I cannot stress this enough. Do not blinding push your lane into mg42's (oftentimes without smoke) and expect to win. You must secure a fuel, any fuel, and JOIN UP LINES to put pressure onto mid rather than playing separate 1v1's/2v2s. This, in my opinion, is the biggest cause of grief for inexperienced players in 3v3 and 4v4 especially. You MUST protect each others flanks by having an Anchor vp/fuel and a strong presence in middle rather than splitting off to do your own thing.

If you are not winning any fuel due to losing both 2v2s, communicate with your team that you want to triple for a retake or you WILL lose the game 99/100 times vs axis med vehicle timings. Even if it risks a breakthrough on the flex players flank.

__

If you win a fuel, you must do what you can to defend it. If its me I like to anchor it and defend it as much as possible. That is my job and I strongly suggest if that is you, you make it yours too and build your army accordingly. Suppression, a mine or 2 (which GREATLY help), anti tank weapons, indirect to not let them get comfy and push hard, in field reinforcement. All factions can do this with all commanders.

Dealing with Light Vehicles.
Expect them around 6 mins and if you arent prepared by 9mins it is your fault. AT guns (ATG's are the counter, as are infantry AT or your own LV its your choice but every player should have at least 1 at gun or something to scare light vehicles away by these timings. The game opens up now, use your brain to be and do where and what is needed. Its a team game. Remember that.

Flanks.
Another clutch timing is around this mark. It is important to not let the enemy breakthrough your lines into your temamates as they are likely fighting someone else and winning or at least contesting. Put your own MG/Mines to stop this or, depending on the ROLE you mightve adopted as mentioned earlier, do this for your ally. A common situation is pushing their home vp/fuel too hard by the 'flex' player, full retreating, and allowing the enemy to put a knockout attack onto your teammate. This has happened to be more times I can count and been the reason we lose. Try to identify it and avoid it or deflect it.

On the other hand, you can do this yourself. IF the situation should arise. It is always betetr to try to hold your lines with support weapons rather than go full-on inf squads and attack, full retreat, and leave the flank open. The least you can do is ping/call this when it happens. Your temamate will thankyou.

Dealing with the Almighty P4.
Panzer4's are a staple as much as an mg42. Expect them and be ready with 1 or even 2 ATG's (which will greatly help through the game). If you are relying on your own vehicle ONLY then be careful. Losing it will cost you massively. It is better to get chip damage ton enemy tanks rather than gamble and try to wipe them. At least they will think twice about breaking your lines. As allies you MUST have multiple sources of AT. Allies are not built to go toe-to-toe with enemy armour. They are much more effective when combining AT sources and generally have better ATG's to help with this, having better wider firing arc's. Protect them with MG or have something ready to PLUG THE GAP.

Med tanks and the artillery spamfest.
Often Stukas and Werfers will be used to break the Anchor/mid if you have it. Allied med tanks aren't the best but they are nonetheless VERY useful as generalist units that can melt through infantry and make a P4/Panther think twice. They can buy a LOT of time for you. They are also the perfect counter to rocket artillery. Do not be scared of scouting/predicting the timing of a barrage and trying to take them out. When these units are massed and noone can/wants to counter again, you might lose there and then but not know it.

To summarise:
1. Early fuel control needs a strategy, blinding running into sturms and mg42's isn't a good idea. Smoke and kiting is. Smoke is very powerful, if you don't think about using it, then you definitely should start to.
2. Be prepared for vehicles with mines and/or ATG's/your own vehicle counter.
3. Defend your DAMN LINES and/or common choke points with Suppression. Lategame, try to have an mg on the contested VP. Join up and form a proper defence with your temamates.
4. If you have a fuel and they have a fuel, ask your team, or take it upon yourself, to link up. At this stage 9/10+ mins it becoems pointless to try to steal the enemy home vp and much better to fortify your own and contest mid while protecting your flank. See player types.

That is all. I hope this is helpful. Id be happy to answer ay questings from low/med level players but I am not pro myself so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Good hunting, Commanders!

Edit No I do not have a great stats/ skill etc, but I like to think I can help with experience. I often have the 'best' kd on my team and/or most damage. This means NOTHING. Absolutely nothing on a per game basis but over time I like to think it means I am at least qualified to share some experience. Thanks.

MMX
11 Apr 2021, 15:00 PM

that's a really nice and compact guide, kudos! i personally liked the distinction into different player types and the emphasis on developing a teamplay-oriented mindset. probably something a lot of the newer players could improve on and the guide covers the basics quite well.
11 Apr 2021, 15:52 PM

Thanks.

Between the current 4v4 balance and the leavers, who are clearly doing some intentionally as they dont instantly leave after the match starts and therefore should be punished somehow, finding fun games is a waste of time. Its exacerbated by newer less experienced players playing Allies.

I did this so that people can hopefully at least begin to understand the mechanics of low-med tier 4v4, where the majority of games ARE played.

Its far too late in the day, in fact COH was realeased before this was even a thing, but I think the game needs a new player experience tutorial for online 2v2/3v3/4v4. This is a very low effort version.

I think that instead of clicking the game size you want (1v1, 2v2) there should be very clearly marked screens for 1v1 and team games. 1v1 should be introduced as a battle of wits, skill and strategy between 2 individual companies of ww2 heroes. Absolutely NO pun intended. Thats how it should be. Teamgames should be introduced as multiple company battles coordinating in some of the largest battles of WW2 blahblah in sert narrative.. Im not advocating any sort of gameplay changes for the different modes, but in the teamgame players should have a small tutorial vs bots either in selected parts of teamgame maps or in a training map teaching them the basics. We all know what they are if you have any experience in the game.

I.e. smoking mg42's, flanking, explaining the 'shield' of vehicles vs sticky grenades and how important they are. Certain abilities on certain units that GREATLY can help (Brit players with 4-5 inf squads repeatedy blobbing into mgs 42s full retreating and leaving my flank exposed when they have a cromwell or other access to smoke REALLY gets me) Theres plenty of very short combat manouvres and things that would increase the skill of the general teamplayer, but the game is too old and/or the devs given up on it making the mode fun.

Sure you can argue thats what skill is, but many people dont care for or want to be skillful. hey want to spam inf into mgs and get repeatedly suppressed and leave, or lose a fuel after 2-3 mins and think the games over. We have basic issues that PREVENT the game from being fun for people because they don't know what theyre doing. A NPE wouldve been great...

Im no experien
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS