Login

russian armor

Does 1v1 feel off or is it just me?

15 Nov 2013, 21:17 PM

Note: This is my first COH game, I have no sense of what the preceding games were like.

I've been meaning to post this for awhile, so it has nothing to do with the state of the current patch minus maybe the 180 degree rotation for infantry patch. That part of the patch increases the likelihood of run and gun play that I'm about to complain about.

1v1 really isn't fun for me. The maps feel far too large (which is the root of many problems I think). Instead of actually having real engagements the entire early game is run and gun. You're too busy sprinting across the map to cap more points than have an actual engagement. I've mostly been playing 2v2 because the maps are now ~split in half. When I only have half the map to really worry about the game feels like it has the proper troops/area ratio. I actually have a need to flank/overwhelm mg42's holding positions because I can't just run around them to the other part of the map.

Next point: cover feels like it doesn't really serve a purpose (excluding buildings). If I build sandbags (which take excruciatingly long amounts of time right now) and set up a lone defensive unit it really doesn't increase it's ability to hold the ground. Once again you are better off continuing to run around capping. A single gren squad can run straight at the sandbag unit, possibly not lose a single model and fire off a rifle grenade that nearly wipes the defending squad. Unless the unit behind green cover is being flanked, I feel like it should be able to put up a fight against 2 ~equivalent squads. I think the cover bonuses/modifiers need significant increases from their current state.

If the core mechanics of this game are supposed to utilize cover and flanking, shouldn't running and gunning be discouraged? Shouldn't units in green cover cut down squads that just blindly run right up to green cover units?

So my main points are that I feel 1v1 maps are about double the size they should be, running and gunning is too prevalent for how this game was allegedly designed and current cover bonuses need significant increasing from their current state. I expected more of battle line that gets pushed back and forth by both sides and less of this running around nonsense.

I wrote this from primarily a soviet perspective but it all basically applies to ostheer too. Does anybody agree with me or do I just have no perspective for how the game should actually be played?

Relevant stats: as of right now I have 17 1v1 games played as soviet (rank 1123) and 11 1v1 played as ostheer (rank 1583) - not great but not terrible. I play far more 2v2 where the troops/area ratio feels more "correct".
15 Nov 2013, 21:35 PM

Except for Moscow Outskirts and Pripyat Winter, I personally don't feel that the 1v1 maps are too big. The maps are small enough that you will have a lot of engagements, and you can quickly go to either of the flanks when positioned in a central position. The maps are also big enough that you can actually mount proper flank attacks and you have the option of sending lone units to harass the enemy's outward territories without having to cross a front line defense first. You hardly see this happening in 2v2 games on small maps, where the whole game is usually just 2 players frontally engaging each other all the time on one side of the map.

You are right about the cover system though. Cover is nice and important in the first few minutes of the game, but when the grenades, mortars shells and tanks shells start flying around, you are better of out in the open where your mean will spread out more. This is simply because small arms fire does 'modified' damage (models survive multiple hits), while grenades and tanks do more 'realistic' damage vs infantry (i.e. grenades insta-gib multiple men).
15 Nov 2013, 21:43 PM

the whole game is 'off', like three week old rotting fish that even cats wont eat.
15 Nov 2013, 21:47 PM
Donator 11

For sure! I havent played 1v1 for a while and just started again. It feels like its more a game of "who is better about sending out squads capping points"

2v2 and 3v3 and vcoh doesnt feel at all like this and its problably due to relics decision on having same maps for 1v1 and 2v2.
15 Nov 2013, 22:08 PM

Except for Moscow Outskirts and Pripyat Winter, I personally don't feel that the 1v1 maps are too big. The maps are small enough that you will have a lot of engagements, and you can quickly go to either of the flanks when positioned in a central position. The maps are also big enough that you can actually mount proper flank attacks and you have the option of sending lone units to harass the enemy's outward territories without having to cross a front line defense first. You hardly see this happening in 2v2 games on small maps, where the whole game is usually just 2 players frontally engaging each other all the time on one side of the map.

You are right about the cover system though. Cover is nice and important in the first few minutes of the game, but when the grenades, mortars shells and tanks shells start flying around, you are better of out in the open where your mean will spread out more. This is simply because small arms fire does 'modified' damage (models survive multiple hits), while grenades and tanks do more 'realistic' damage vs infantry (i.e. grenades insta-gib multiple men).

Moscow Outskirts was one of the primary maps I had in mind when I wrote this. Rails and Kharkov are better but maybe just a bit bigger than what I would want.

In most 2v2 games that I play there is still sufficient room for flanking infantry, but not quite enough for larger tank maneuvers. So I'm thinking 1v1 maps should be just larger than ~half of a 2v2 map right now.

I don't find cover (excluding buildings) to even be relevant in the early portions of this game. Green cover should have an effect the entire game. Right now it has close to none.

Edit: In all honesty if I wanted to have my units sprinting every direction at once at all times I would just play Starcraft.
15 Nov 2013, 22:56 PM

I know what the OP means. Been there too.

The more you play, the better you will get to know the maps. When you know the maps, their size won't confuse you.

So, simple advice is: spam 1v1 games.
15 Nov 2013, 23:32 PM

I've played enough to know the maps well. I'm not confused in the slightest, I have enough 2v2 games under my belt to know that isn't the issue.

Spamming 1v1 games isn't going to make the game play more enjoyable though.

Judging from the lack of response to this thread most people do not share my opinion - meaning the game play won't change. Guess this means the inevitable end of my COH2 gaming will be coming soon rather than later.
16 Nov 2013, 00:17 AM

The previous game had proper defenses(tank traps wire,affordable mines both sides) and mgs were viable so there was no running face on at an mg. You could put mg in building and lockdown a spot which gave you breathing room. Plus there were not a lot of wtf kill machines in t1 and t2 which made the early game inf battles more strategic and satisfying. It was easier to fight hard for territory then hold and push from there so maps didn't feel like an expansive moonscape you had to run back and forth across.

The game didn't get full on till t3 but every tier had units that dealt with inf or tanks reliable so it was possible (but more difficult)you could stay in t2 all game.PLus the commander doctrines were more versatile and most doctrines were almost a tier in itself as you could rely on the units and abilities to counter the opponents t4. Coh2 lost all of that. It feels about always having hard counters vs x unit. You didnt need flamers or grenades or mortars to take out garrisoned units. They were more effective but you could just use overwhelming inf in green cover a sniper even.

Now it's all about rushing to your wtf kill machine as fast as possible.

The pop cap system and fuel or munition only system made fighting over points more meaningful. I dont feel like im capping things of much importance in this new system because it seems more to matter that you have points as opposed to what points you have.

The whole dynamic of coh2 just seems off, i agree, but if you think the weak sauce mg42 coh2 has is too strong im sure you would hate the heat of the vanilla one as it would pin your whole army if it is facing your way. Bar the brits and fire up that is.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★