Login

russian armor

How Coh2 sold out - and what to do about it

15 Nov 2013, 09:54 AM

Permanently Banned
DLC Commanders seem to have had enormously successful sales.

Thank those who bought them, for what has happened to balance.
15 Nov 2013, 10:00 AM
Benefactor 115

I think CoH2 has a great engine and the game itself WAS very good.
all your vcoh elitist bs arguments are invalid, the game has been ruined by the business model and DLC commanders. full stop.
15 Nov 2013, 10:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 09:54 AMNullist

I was wondering what your take on this would be. Look im not a fan of the DLC but to be honest if they actually put real depth back into the game I would welcome them.

If they all of a sudden did a bit of a update to vCOH and added in heaps of new units id be totally stoked.

DLC isn't the problem, the balance isn't (the biggest) problem the biggest problem with the game is the fact that its DOW2 with ww2 units and nothing like vCOH.

Every single mechanic has been changed, physics nearly completely removed and the basis of the game play has been changed in nearly all cases for the worst.

Granted true sight is great, vaulting is great, reverse function is great, snow is great even the fact that tanks are a bit tougher is great but basically everything else is now worse.
15 Nov 2013, 10:12 AM

Permanently Banned
HSKing: I dgaf about vCoh or Dow2. Those are separate games. How good or bad any of those is has fuck all to do with how good or bad Coh2 is.

Honestly, your post makes zero sense to me, and felt like I was reading a taste and appearance comparison between potatos and tomatos.
15 Nov 2013, 10:20 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 10:12 AMNullist
HSKing: I dgaf about vCoh or Dow2. Those are separate games. How good or bad any of those is has fuck all to do with how good or bad Coh2 is.

Honestly, your post makes zero sense to me, and felt like I was reading a taste and appearance comparison between potatos and tomatos.

Isn't he just saying CoH2 is more like DoW2 and therefore nothing like vCoH?

Im not playing CoH2 atm, since i dont have a computer atm. But i played the beta. As much as I loved vCoH and agree that stuff was different for the worse at some points, I enjoyed the game nonetheless.

As a little defense to coh2, the first video comparison between the two games in an artillery strike seems a bad comparison to me. In the one of vCoH there is clearly more of a swoosh to the artillery shell incoming, and the building destruction is fascinating. But there is no battle going on, as in the CoH2 video, plus there is no building being destroyed in the CoH2 video. How can that be a comparison?
15 Nov 2013, 10:45 AM

Agree to disagree then. To me this was my most heartfelt post and if no one agree then so be it.

I am still 100% convinced that if they added what I say every single person would agree that the game got way better.

Considering I am the only one who expresses this then basically you are telling relic that its ok to make a cheap watered down version of a successful ground breaking game, its ok to charge you for things that should come part of the pack, its ok to create games for the lowest common denominator.

You are saying to everyone that loved the first game and dedicated hundreds of hours, months and years into playing it, growing it and promoting it that they dont know what they are talking about.

In the end every business knows that its not relevant what people say, its the actions they take that count - so for everyone complaining about dlcs or balance or this or that they couldn't care less because you are going to go out there and buy it again next release.

All good though to each their own, I felt I could make a difference but in the end I didn't really but I had a go and that's enough for me.
15 Nov 2013, 10:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 10:45 AMHS King

Considering I am the only one who expresses this then basically you are telling relic that its ok to make a cheap watered down version of a successful ground breaking game, its ok to charge you for things that should come part of the pack, its ok to create games for the lowest common denominator.

Cheap and watered down version? If you are talking about visuals here I think you should try to get nostalgia glasses off. Artstyle is a matter of taste, personally I don't think Coh2 is more comic-like than vCoh. Let's take the jeep driver for an example as mentioned before.

If you are talking about the gameplay then I'm as confused as Nullist. One post you are talking about physics, explosions and body parts, the next is about unreliable outcome of explosives.
15 Nov 2013, 11:05 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 09:54 AMNullist

I'm with you on this one.
15 Nov 2013, 11:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 10:50 AMZtormi

Cheap and watered down version? If you are talking about visuals here I think you should try to get nostalgia glasses off.

If you are talking about the gameplay then I'm as confused as Nullist. One post you are talking about physics, explosions and body parts, the next is about unreliable outcome of explosives.

Hmm, the point about the visuals, which I'd agree with, is that things like explosions in COH2 seem a lot less imposing or noticeable than in COH1. Not to mention the layout of everything in COH2. The environment looks prettier and all, and all eastern front which is nice but there were some things COH1 did graphics-wise a lot better than COH2 and I'd say explosions were one of them.

And about mortars, this kind of thing happened during the beta actually when mortars were just insane. Now, they've been toned back a lot.
15 Nov 2013, 11:25 AM

Permanently Banned
HSKing: Im saying I judge a game within its own internal context. Not by comparison to other games.
15 Nov 2013, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 11:25 AMNullist
HSKing: Im saying I judge a game within its own internal context. Not by comparison to other games.

IMO, that's a bit hard considering this was called the sequel to COH1 and not some other standalone name.
15 Nov 2013, 11:48 AM

I see what Nullist is saying though. It's not that hard to divest the two - it's a choice you make to yourself to not consider the first game, should you wish to do so, or think it's worthwhile to consider together for comparison. Nullist thinks it isn't, you think it is. I'm going to struggle to prove whether either is the right view.
15 Nov 2013, 11:54 AM

I'm sure most of the bad rap the game would get from the community aside from the commanders wouldn't be around had it been called something else like Ostfront or Eastern Front or something instead of COH2. Instead, they decided to call it COH2 because it was a recognised strategy game thanks to the work of a lot of the community.

Thats why I think and, since the developers made that choice, that's why IMO it's valid to compare COH1 with COH2. As always, it's up to you but from my point of view, it's a conscious marketing decision.
15 Nov 2013, 12:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 10:50 AMZtormi

Cheap and watered down version? If you are talking about visuals here I think you should try to get nostalgia glasses off. Artstyle is a matter of taste, personally I don't think Coh2 is more comic-like than vCoh. Let's take the jeep driver for an example as mentioned before.

This. Precisely. Physics like that has zero effect on gameplay, it's cosmetic.
15 Nov 2013, 12:20 PM

I agree with the OP.
He has very good arguments. The most who disagree with him, are doing that for different reasons and they are that they feel that there are bigger problems to this game. Anyway, as i said i agree with the OP because what he wrote was the first thing that i noticed when i played COH2 for the first time. And if you do some thinking for your self, you can come up with more arguments that they limited the Engine. Which AAA PC-exclusive game in 2013 has no SLI/CF support? FReaking coldtech made it happen, what answer is that? Where do the Devs live? In the 40s at WW2? There are so many more arguments i have... but anyway.

You cant disagree with someone who has facts. The facts are not liying, we can see them (in the Youtube Videos) if you not voluntarily close our eyes!!
15 Nov 2013, 12:23 PM

I agree with the OP.
He has very good arguments. The most who disagree with him, are doing that for different reasons and they are that they feel that there are bigger problems to this game. Anyway, as i said i agree with the OP because what he wrote was the first thing that i noticed when i played COH2 for the first time. And if you do some thinking for your self, you can come up with more arguments that they limited the Engine. Which AAA PC-exclusive game in 2013 has no SLI/CF support? FReaking coldtech made it happen, what answer is that? Where do the Devs live? In the 40s at WW2? There are so many more arguments i have... but anyway.

You cant disagree with someone who has facts. The facts are not liying, we can see them (in the Youtube Videos) if you not voluntarily close our eyes!!

Thanks man I think you get what I am saying. Yes to others different issues may be more important but I want them to look at the areas I describe and that is straight off the bat coh2 was designed to be inferior to the original game. Thanks for the reply man
15 Nov 2013, 12:28 PM
Benefactor 115

It seems to me you were butthurt because CoH2 wasn't as much similar to vCoH as you wanted, and that made it a bad game in your eyes. (while it was a very good game in reality).
Now that everyone is complaining for completely different reasons you jump out with your "told'ya" and expect people to agree with you.
15 Nov 2013, 13:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2013, 12:28 PMtuvok
It seems to me you were butthurt because CoH2 wasn't as much similar to vCoH as you wanted, and that made it a bad game in your eyes. (while it was a very good game in reality).
Now that everyone is complaining for completely different reasons you jump out with your "told'ya" and expect people to agree with you.

I did expect people to agree, for the simple reason that I speak the truth. If you cant see it then it sucks for you bro.

15 Nov 2013, 13:49 PM

Your post didn't mention anything about actual gameplay... you pretty much said "yeah, in my opinion vCoH has cooler graphixxxxxxxxxx and explosionsssssss so it iz better ya!"

I mean... okay... cool? I'm glad you have your opinion and I'm happy for you that you like vCoH but this post really has nothing to do with "selling" out or why, from a gameplay mechanics standpoint, you think vCoH is a superior game.

Sort of ironic that you say you don't care about graphics, but then go on to write an essay about vCoH > CoH2 BCUZ GRAPHIX...

Overall I'm very happy with CoH2. Sure the balance has been thrown off by this patch and the DLC model that nearly every modern game is going to these days can be annoying but fun fact! The devs, especially the balance devs, probably have ZERO control over the fact that they are forced to put out commanders as DLC instead of free content. Game studios, generally, have very little control over how their product is marketed/sold/etc but this is a discussion for a different post.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★