Login

russian armor

WIP First CoH2 map

14 Nov 2013, 09:30 AM

I wanna share the journey from planning to a playable map. Whether it'll ever be "final", at least it will teach me a lot for future maps.

I started making a terrain in World Machine, exported as a TGA heightmap.

This was then taken into World builder with testing and tweaking of heigt mapping in order to get rid of some insane bugs as seen below. Not sure if it's possible for Relic to fix this ?

It looks like I can't make the tall mountains I had hoped for, but I think it'll be a bit interesting anyway.

I made a screenshot of the terrain that came in nice in the end, and started drawing and testing layouts. So far this is what I've got. Feedback and comments are welcome!

Here's how it finally came in, and with sectors drawed in using splines.

Before I add objects I want to texture the terrain so I get a general feeling for the map.

The more I work with World builder, I wish it supported tablets, so I could paint different opacity or brush size just by using the pressure sensitive stylus. Navigation using the Wacom tablet is also impossible as the camera view flips out of control the instant I press ALT. But navigation using the mouse and then painting textures using the stylus is a big win in any case! :)
14 Nov 2013, 09:44 AM
Honorary Member Badge

interesting approach. What's the size of that map? From the drawing it looks like bases might need to be a bit bigger, but hard to say without knowledge of the dimensions.
Also, take care with too sophisticated terrain height shapes. Weapon aim doesn't take this into consideration properly. So, AT gun shells might hit the ground too often.
Anyway, looking forward to see what you come up with.
14 Nov 2013, 09:55 AM

Good point. Looking forward to playtest this and see what I discover.
Attached is a screenshot with 32m grid. I honestly don't remember the scale of the map. I think I set it to 768x768 world size and 512x512 playable area, along with a "non playable" area, as you've shown in your videos.

14 Nov 2013, 10:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge

512x512, wow, that's usually the size of a 4vs4 map, like 4 times the size of a 1vs1 map. Do you really want to make this 2vs2? Quite an effort to do such a big map as your first project =)
14 Nov 2013, 10:18 AM

I have no idea! :) I'm just checking the world builder really, and want to make something cool along the way.

I'm streming on Twitch at the moment too if anyone wanna see what's going on.

http://www.twitch.tv/olahaldor/
14 Nov 2013, 11:28 AM

Making some interesting progress :D
14 Nov 2013, 11:39 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I'm a bit concerned about vehicle pathin and those muntains :P
14 Nov 2013, 11:47 AM
Honorary Member Badge

It might work, if he declares it as impassable area and puts shotblockers on top. Similar to huge tree grooves. It all depends on the execution and if it doesn't hinder lateral movement too much...
But then again, there are people who like maps with a clear front (aka The Sheldt). We'll see =)

Aesthetically it looks interesting.
14 Nov 2013, 12:23 PM

I'm not going to allow vehicles to go just anywhere. There are clearly some issues with the landscape which I'll take care of.

For instance, right now one base is totally cut off from a couple of sectors because of the mountain you see in the front left of the previous screenshot. I have to give way for vehicles and infantry to go there, so it's like on the other base.

I'm also thinking of making it harder for the ones that wanna take shortcuts that are too obvious by cutting them off with deep snow.

Who knows how this map will be in the end. :P I see it as a workshop to learn different aspects of map making.
14 Nov 2013, 19:11 PM

I tested the map in a comp stomp, 2v2. I played as russian. My idea of the battle mainly being around the middle victory point and the adjacent fuel/munition points worked as I hoped.

The terrain is certainly something that adds to the difficulty, and it's without a doubt an infantry map, all tough tanks is not a big problem either, if you keep them in the more flat areas.

I actually had a hard time because of a lot of harassing. It was fun!

I'm sure I won't make hills and "mountains" so tall in the next map. I achieved my goal; to learn something.
14 Nov 2013, 21:07 PM

when will u realise the map? download link?
15 Nov 2013, 07:23 AM

I want to add a lot of art assets before I release it. One of the main problems due to the terrain is the camera and field of view. Feels a bit cramped.

Can't make any promises on when you can download it.
19 Nov 2013, 21:16 PM

something new?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight